Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
lol, lazy players don’t score 106 points and put up 80’s playoff numbers in 2024. Sorry, that narrative is lazy
He's lazy. He doesn't take full strides, he coasts around the ice. He knows when he needs to expend energy, it's smart. Some players can't play that way and need to go 100% all the time to stay in line up. The GDT's in HFOil over years have many posts backing me up on it. He's a lazy player and in the case lazy doesn't = bad, but he doesn't always go all out and fight for everything.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
After seeing Matthews and others do better on shorter term deals... I wonder if McDavid and Drai are looking for the same shorter 4-5 year term deals in their next contracts. Although they will be into their 30's by the time their 3rd contract expires and on the decline in their careers... so they may not get as much then.
They are not both have gone on record as saying they want the full 8 year extension. Calling it now Leon gets12.5-13 per Connor get 13.5-14 per both re sign

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's lazy. He doesn't take full strides, he coasts around the ice. He knows when he needs to expend energy, it's smart. Some players can't play that way and need to go 100% all the time to stay in line up. The GDT's in HFOil over years have many posts backing me up on it. He's a lazy player and in the case lazy doesn't = bad, but he doesn't always go all out and fight for everything.
Lol he is the laziest 2nd leading scorer last 8 seasons in the NHL

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
After seeing Matthews and others do better on shorter term deals... I wonder if McDavid and Drai are looking for the same shorter 4-5 year term deals in their next contracts. Although they will be into their 30's by the time their 3rd contract expires and on the decline in their careers... so they may not get as much then.
latest word is Drai wants 8 years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think in a perfect world you sign him to the Matthews deal. 13.25x4. Truthfully that’s probably an overpay based on what he’s going to be moving forward.

Realistically I don’t think you get him at that number unless it’s x8.

I think it’s pretty hard imagining that deal ages well. But that doesn’t mean you don’t sign it.

I’m afraid we end up giving him like $14.5m or more though.

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Disagree 100%. Strides can be deceiving. Back in the day people called Paul Coffey lazy. Fact was he is just an effortless skater. Leon has strong, long strides so he doesn’t need to pump his legs. Using other opinions to support your opinion doesn’t turn it into facts. This is the best league on the planet. The best hockey players play in this league. To say a player can come in and put up 106 points (in an off year) without going all out or trying would be so insulting to all other players in the NHL.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
This is a bad take.

Marner, Panarin, Pasta are all lazy players and put up points. What are you talking about?
This is utter nonsense are you saying Draisaitl could be a 150+ point player ever season in the NHL and The 3 listed above should be hitting 130 + points per season and everyone underneath them are super lazy , is the whole league lazy ? because your standards are laughable

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not always going all out =/= lazy. Draisaitl can’t play the number of minutes he does and afford to be able to go all out while remaining effective. He’s not the kind of physical freak McDavid is.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not always going all out =/= lazy. Draisaitl can’t play the number of minutes he does and afford to be able to go all out while remaining effective. He’s not the kind of physical freak McDavid is.
Plus he's a big guy who frequently has players hanging on him.

The guy also reinvented his game to fit with McDavid. You can't do that if you are lazy. It took a lot of work to get to where he is right now.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I think in a perfect world you sign him to the Matthews deal. 13.25x4. Truthfully that’s probably an overpay based on what he’s going to be moving forward.

Realistically I don’t think you get him at that number unless it’s x8.

I think it’s pretty hard imagining that deal ages well. But that doesn’t mean you don’t sign it.

I’m afraid we end up giving him like $14.5m or more though.
I think if they are willing you have to try and lock them down 8 years. The Cap will go up a lot in that amount of time (hopefully) and McDrai are probably going to be fantastic players until like 36 anyways.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Dont agree with that term but it is possible to get a point every game and still be 'kinda crap'.
See guys like Bouchard and E.Kane
"Crap all season" was what that poster said. I don't care how one spins it but in no way shape or form is 41 goals, 106 points and a +26 crap (a lot of that on his own line) and 30 points in 20 playoff games crap. Sure, he's had some bad games but that's some massive hyperbole.
And how did Bouchard get thrown into the crap pile? Is this some alternate universe where you guys are watching different games?

I swear, some Oiler fans don't deserve these top players with the crap flung at them constantly. Maybe you guys want to go back to the H.O.P.E. era again? Those were fun days.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
"Crap all season" was what that poster said. I don't care how one spins it but in no way shape or form is 41 goals, 106 points and a +26 crap (a lot of that on his own line) and 30 points in 20 games crap. Sure, he's had some bad games but that's some massive hyperbole.
And how did Bouchard get thrown into the crap pile? Is this some alternate universe where you guys are watching different games?

I swear, some Oiler fans don't deserve these top players with the crap flung at them constantly. Maybe you guys want to go back to the H.O.P.E. era again? Those were fun days.
Drai made McLeod and Foegs look like top line players for decent stretch. Unreal player.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The number that Draisaitl picks doesn't matter, all that matters is the 8 year part. He's been on such a value contract that he deserves whatever he wants plus it also means Mcdavid sticks around for another 8 years. I also wouldn't doubt if both him and Mcdavid leave a little bit of money on the table to help the team in other areas.

Even if Mcdrai wanted a combined 40 million i'd still give it to them just so I can watch them play together for another 8 years.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think if they are willing you have to try and lock them down 8 years. The Cap will go up a lot in that amount of time (hopefully) and McDrai are probably going to be fantastic players until like 36 anyways.
I have no qualms about going 8 years for McDavid. But it already feels like Drai is starting to lose a bit of a step and is becoming a slightly less effective player.

A 4 year deal would mean his next contract would begin at 34 and which point you could look at what everyone wants to do. His career will be getting close to winding down at that point.

That being said, there is something to the idea of having Draisaitl and McDavid as life long Oilers that extends beyond their effectiveness as players late in their career. Especially when we’ve never had anyone play their whole career here.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The number that Draisaitl picks doesn't matter, all that matters is the 8 year part. He's been on such a value contract that he deserves whatever he wants plus it also means Mcdavid sticks around for another 8 years. I also wouldn't doubt if both him and Mcdavid leave a little bit of money on the table to help the team in other areas.

Even if Mcdrai wanted a combined 40 million i'd still give it to them just so I can watch them play together for another 8 years.

Some players reach a stature where the downside of paying them massive AAV's at the end of their career is overshadowed by the permanent spot they earned on the team through their contributions to the sport and the organization. Draisaitl and McDavid check both boxes in spades.

It would kill me to see either of them in another uniform, even if they're a shadow of themselves making massive $ down the line.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I would call drai efficient, not lazy. He doesn't waste energy and motion.

But also if you can read a play you don't need to go hyper speed all the time. In many cases moving fast is to cover for blown coverage or lack of reading thel play. If they are smart and moving in a fluid motion to the game it works best and needs less effort

Also I am in the negotiate peaceably and fairly but in the end dra and mcd get all of Katz money that they want.

We either get them more pieces to build if they leave more on the table or we need to have them try to win it with a bunch of no bodies if little money is left

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
This is utter nonsense are you saying Draisaitl could be a 150+ point player ever season in the NHL and The 3 listed above should be hitting 130 + points per season and everyone underneath them are super lazy , is the whole league lazy ? because your standards are laughable
The guy probably thinks choppy skating 4th liners that huff and puff their way down the ice are the only ones trying

Reactions: Duke74

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
So how many points should Draisaitl be putting up every season if he was not lazy lol
its got nothing to do with points. Why are you so focused on that? We are talking about a perceived effort issue not a skill issue. Fact is Drai doesn't need to give 100% effort every night than say someone like Connor Brown needs to bring to stay in the lineup.

No one is saying he sucks, Im saying he's lazy in his movements and efforts, especially during the long regular season. It has nothing to do with his point totals and effort doesn't alway equal point totals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00