Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
The bolded is certainly the case. We already have many examples of players at all levels taking less to play in a situation that they desire. But I doubt we have ever seen players go so far as to get the PA involved.

If they weren't going to step in back when Kariya and Selanne signed on together, then why would they now.

I could maybe see them stepping in during early, prime/precedent setting years, but not for guys on their third or fourth contracts... they've earned the right to choose lifestyle/winning over $$$.

Reactions: Oilhawks and bone

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The 8th year is critical in bringing the cap hit down and it's something only the Oilers can offer, so if you're the Oilers you want 8 years.

14/14/14/14/14/14/11/7 = 12.75 cap hit even if he's getting 14 per for the majority of the deal.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The 8th year is critical in bringing the cap hit down and it's something only the Oilers can offer, so if you're the Oilers you want 8 years.

14/14/14/14/14/14/11/7 = 12.75 cap hit even if he's getting 14 per for the majority of the deal.
What will the cap be in 2033?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What will the cap be in 2033?

If you're Leon not like you care that much about getting paid when you're 37 or whatever.

I think both Connor and Leon will take less in the back half of these deals (age 36/37).

14 for the first 6 years of an extension for example would give Leon higher pay than Auston Matthews for the next 6 years, and then year 7/8 can bring the cap hit down.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Think the team is giving him a few weeks to decompress after a heartbreaking loss, go on vacation, go to McDavid's wedding and have some time to talk to him about their plans. I don't think the contract was ever going to be signed this quick into the offseason no matter the number. They just finished playing hockey 12 days ago.

What if theres a disaster at thr wrdding and they have a falling out? Gotta strike while the irons hot.

• Haha
Reactions: Zerotonine

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I think Drai camp wants 14M per, a touch more than the bar set by Matthews.

Oilers are likely hoping for something around 12.5M.
Unfortunately wether we like to admit it or not, Matthews has a bigger name and the only one who might surprass Matthews star power is mcdavid

I see drai being on the lower side of 13 mill pwr season. And mcdavid hopefully coming in in the lower side of 14 when all is said and done

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Unfortunately wether we like to admit it or not, Matthews has a bigger name and the only one who might surprass Matthews star power is mcdavid

I see drai being on the lower side of 13 mill pwr season. And mcdavid hopefully coming in in the lower side of 14 when all is said and done

If those are the deals they sign, unless the cap rises DRAMATICALLY in the next 2 years, they have all but assured that next year is the last real chance for a cup.

I don't blame Drai for chasing the bag at all, but he needs to decide whether an extra $15-20 million is more important to him than a cup win. Drai has "only" made around $70 million gross in his career by the end of his current contract. It's a lot of money, but not quite true "generational wealth" levels, depending how he invests it. McDavid on the other hand could play for free and already has generational wealth.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I think Leon will come in at 12.75 million.
Mcdavid will come in at 13.75 - 14.25 million

I am unsure how much Bouchard will command but something tells me it may be over 10.
I don't think mcdavid him self thinks he is a million dollar more power year player the drai. That's the type of hit mcdavid is. That's why i think it will be interesting to see Drai deal as i predict his and mcdavid contracts are at most 500k a part

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Over an 8 year contract, I'm talking cap hit, not salary.

To me anything in the 12s would be a cap friendly deal for the Oilers. One could argue it is a discounted rate.

In the 13s would be fair and probably where he'll be.

14s is not doing the Oilers any favors and would be considered "all the money"

15 plus is crazy talk and he'd be screwing us......in the 11s is equally crazy and would probably anger the PA.

Reactions: McWeber

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I'm still struggling to understand how one guy taking up a higher percentage of spendable cap, lowering the available money pool for the rest of the members is beneficial to the PA
Because 31 other teams have a better chance at the cup.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm actually afraid of years 5+ of a new contract

When leon wants to put in the work, we all know he's a top 5 player in the league

But we all know how lazy he can be when he's not on...once his body starts to slow down, he's a prime candidate for a sharp drop off.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I'm actually afraid of years 5+ of a new contract

When leon wants to put in the work, we all know he's a top 5 player in the league

But we all know how lazy he can be when he's not on...once his body starts to slow down, he's a prime candidate for a sharp drop off.
There is risk to every 8 year contract but if it keeps an mvp caliber player around you do it.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

I feel like Leon's body is likely to hold up over his career. Mcdavid on the other hand, I don't know.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If those are the deals they sign, unless the cap rises DRAMATICALLY in the next 2 years, they have all but assured that next year is the last real chance for a cup.

I don't blame Drai for chasing the bag at all, but he needs to decide whether an extra $15-20 million is more important to him than a cup win. Drai has "only" made around $70 million gross in his career by the end of his current contract. It's a lot of money, but not quite true "generational wealth" levels, depending how he invests it. McDavid on the other hand could play for free and already has generational wealth.
If the two get $27M in total I don't think it has a big impact on their window.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Like tavares? 😅
One thing is not like the other... if not for the pandemic Leon would have 6 straight 100 point seasons, he has 108 points in 74 playoff games, and is a great friend of Connor McDavid.

Lose Draisaitl and you lose McDavid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad