Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

Oct 18, 2011
Does it? After the last five years I'm not so sure.
Speaking for myself this season is probably the one I'm most looking forward to in the last 5 years atleast. Pretty much anything from the end of the RC years to last year wasn't enjoyable for the most part, but IMO the Ducks have legitimate talent now in terms of ability, we just lack on defense and overall experience

But I can see a world where the Ducks have 3 legit scoring lines and atleast play more entertaining hockey

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The more I review some of the plays he made last year, he does remind me a lot of a lankier and taller Nick Backstrom. I mean that in terms of the cerebral play and outstanding vision in the neutral zone. Also has a shot that is sneaky good.

There is some sort offensive undertone to his game that imo puts him in a different category than Barkov ( I don’t love that comparison). Leo is not a defensive-minded player in the slightest.
I think he'll be better than Backstrom because of his skating and I think Backstrom was helped by the fact that he had Ovi to pass to who would never fail at finishing and even a weak or routine pass can lead to a Ovi goal because of how over powering his shooting was in his prime.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
There’s a huge difference between a forward who’s capable defensively and a selke contender
There is. I think Carlsson will be a Selke contender by the time he gets to his mid-20s. He might not quite get to Barkov or Kopitar levels, but he'll get votes throughout his prime, similar to Getzlaf, but with a higher defensive ceiling.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
There’s a huge difference between a forward who’s capable defensively and a selke contender
It really depends on the year, considering they aren’t generally giving the Selke to guys scoring less than 70ish points, so there have certainly been winners who were merely „the most defensively capable among eligible scorers“.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Hype? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, selke is probably the least legit award to me. There are so many things that go into it there is no way the writers can all be on the same page. Shit, they can't even get on the same page about what it means. Some places say it is the best defensive forward, some places say the best 2-way forward.

It is a prestige award for the most part.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Hype? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, selke is probably the least legit award to me. There are so many things that go into it there is no way the writers can all be on the same page. Shit, they can't even get on the same page about what it means. Some places say it is the best defensive forward, some places say the best 2-way forward.

It is a prestige award for the most part.
Essentially, who's the best player that doesn't have eye popping offensive numbers. It does seem pretty subjective.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
It really depends on the year, considering they aren’t generally giving the Selke to guys scoring less than 70ish points, so there have certainly been winners who were merely „the most defensively capable among eligible scorers“.
Probably true but scoring is just way up for everyone now. Of the more recent winners I’d say most are also pretty much seen league-wide as elite defensive forwards, amongst the most responsible on their teams and in the league. You can’t give the selke to the 30 pt guy similar to the Norris but these guys are all elite defensively.

I don’t see Leo getting there, which is absolutely fine , even preferable IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad