Player Discussion Leo Carlsson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I hate that reasoning. Not the right tournament to judge after. But so all the scouts unanimously voted for him... does this ever happens? Because there's a lot of scouts.

Before the WC, I think both were on the same tier except excelled at different things. Fantilli played center all year long at Michigan. Although, Fantilli looked out of place at the WJC-20 and WC. Carlsson has looked great at wing in the SHL for the past two seasons and center with the junior int'l team.

Anaheim's done their homework, but it's difficult to judge both in different venues. The WC is a venue they're both playing in as teenagers.

For the WC, the only unknown is Carlsson playing center with men. The fact Carlsson didn't look out of place as Sweden's 1C and was productive as a 1C was a huge takeaway that Carlsson can stay at center, apparently. Doing it as an 18-year old adds to Carlsson's feather.

Verbeek was sold even more to see the difference at WC.

For me, the WC also revealed Fantilli's flaw against tougher competition once again, which I've shared the many events since the WJC-18. It did show me that he's probably better suited for wing. Fantilli would still be a good fit, but the org went with the more sure thing at center. Then again, I've often cited I preferred Carlsson. Maybe the org felt the same way and the WC solidified it?

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I hate that reasoning. Not the right tournament to judge after. But so all the scouts unanimously voted for him... does this ever happens? Because there's a lot of scouts.
It sounds to me like after "lots" of discussion they arrived at a "unanimous" decision. Like a jury - it doesn't start out that way, but eventually everyone comes around and doesn't want to be "the guy" who didn't support the decision.

Speaking to the dynamic of "consensus" - not casting judgement on the decision/pick.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Before the WC, I think both were on the same tier except excelled at different things. Fantilli played center all year long at Michigan. Although, Fantilli looked out of place at the WJC-20 and WC. Carlsson has looked great at wing in the SHL for the past two seasons and center with the junior int'l team.

Anaheim's done their homework, but it's difficult to judge both in different venues. The WC is a venue they're both playing in as teenagers.

For the WC, the only unknown is Carlsson playing center with men. The fact Carlsson didn't look out of place as Sweden's 1C and was productive as a 1C was a huge takeaway that Carlsson can stay at center, apparently. Doing it as an 18-year old adds to Carlsson's feather.

For me, the WC also revealed Fantilli's flaw against tougher competition once again, which I've shared the many events since the WJC-18. It did show me that he's probably better suited for wing. Fantilli would still be a good fit, but the org went with the more sure thing at center. Then again, I've often cited I preferred Carlsson. Maybe the org felt the same way and the WC solidified it?
I think a point in Carlsson's favor is that he has played against superior competition. At the WC, playing and excelling at center may have erased any questions about him playing there moving forward. I read somewhere that Verbeek was blown away by Carlsson's 200 foot game in that tourney.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
It sounds to me like after "lots" of discussion they arrived at a "unanimous" decision. Like a jury - it doesn't start out that way, but eventually everyone comes around and doesn't want to be "the guy" who didn't support the decision.

Speaking to the dynamic of "consensus" - not casting judgement on the decision/pick.
As in “do you want to continue being a scout for the ducks? You do remember what happened to the last head trainer?”

• Haha
Reactions: duckpuck

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. I would also be bitter if I took out my frustration on the kid and said we drafted a bad hockey player.

Time will tell, but prove me wrong kid.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Dude didn't get to settle in with a solidified line until the last few games of the tournament and they landed on guys that were an awful fit for his play style and he still had 4 points and a medal clinching goal to Carlsson's 6. Bear in mind that our guy has a lot more experience playing against grown men too.

Like I'm ready to move on from talking about Fantilli's strengths and instead focus my attention on Carlsson's development, but I keep seeing this point being made about Fantilli and it seems a bit silly to me.

Reactions: Ducks and Boo Boo

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Didn’t they say hockey sense is why they picked McTavish too ? Either Madden or Murray said it.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I really believe that there must have been a fairly wide gap in projection for Verbeek to go with Carlsson. I imagine Verbeek had many of the same feelings I did.

Knowing what Verbeek values (or what he says he values) I think the compete level and intangibles of Fantilli would speak to Verbeek and cause him to want to want Fantilli....but I just think there is strong reason to believe that Carlsson projects to be the better NHLer.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah I did see that, but I dunno if that’s Verbeek just being awkward, I didn’t get much out of that. Like no matter what you’re not gonna commit to that sort of thing right now, but I do wonder after developmental camp what the thoughts are.
Well, PV definitely came across as his usual awkward self for sure. But given that Carlsson has seemingly expressed an interest/desire/thought to return to Sweden, and given that PV has been pretty set on the pick for a while (he's had time to think about the next step), I thought it was a positive that he didn't say the expectation was to send the kid back.

It will be interesting to see what happens after development camp. I may have to go check that out myself. I don't suppose the date for that has been announced yet?

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
I truly believe Fantilli didn't want to come out west. That alone might have been the deciding factor.

I really don't think Fantilli seems like a prima dona that would be an issue for the team that drafted him.

is there no Verbeek/madden interview or press conference available to read or watch?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. I would also be bitter if I took out my frustration on the kid and said we drafted a bad hockey player.

Time will tell, but prove me wrong kid.
If you want to feel better quickly, go look at some Carlsson highlights. He has an incredible skill level. I get that he plays a different style than Fantilli but Carlsson is a franchise center in his own right. He was accurately portrayed as one of the two franchise players after Bedard. Future #1C no doubt.

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
That would be wild if both wanted Leo - I think that's certainly possible, especially since the Ducks were in the public eye leaning towards Leo already. I wonder if Jarmo would publicly admit that he got the guy he wanted, but I guess we'll never know.

Reactions: Trojans86

c4rcy

Power lvls over 9000
Jun 15, 2009
OC, California
Definitely in the category of 20-20 hindsight but I was way more impressed with Carlsson's deceptiveness and highlights in a men's league than Fantilli's on an absolutely stacked Michigan team. I was firmly on the Fantilli or bust train but there aren't many with the frame he has who uses his deceptiveness and creativity on the rush. THG compares him to a hybrid between Draisaitl (less of a shooter) and Kopi.

Reactions: Kalv and Beckett

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If he improves his close to the goalie sniperskill, good things will happen.

Proud as a Swede, but also afraid he dont live up to the hype. Hope he becomes great for u. And dont score to much on my Leafs.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dude didn't get to settle in with a solidified line until the last few games of the tournament and they landed on guys that were an awful fit for his play style and he still had 4 points and a medal clinching goal to Carlsson's 6. Bear in mind that our guy has a lot more experience playing against grown men too.

Like I'm ready to move on from talking about Fantilli's strengths and instead focus my attention on Carlsson's development, but I keep seeing this point being made about Fantilli and it seems a bit silly to me.

So you're telling me that Carlsson has the higher floor.

Fantilli had 3 points (1g, 2a) at the WC in 10 games. Adam had 23 SOGs and Shot % of 4.35% for 0:47 ATOI/shift. Carlsson had 5 points (3g, 2a) in 8 WC games. Leo had 12 SOGs and Shot % of 25.0% for 0:49 ATOI/shift. I thought Fantilli was supposed to be the high octane offensive player? Does hyping his lone goal in the tourney absolve his 4.35% shooting %?

This wasn't the only venue Fantilli's high octane offense struggled, unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad