Value of: Legit youngish starter to Ottawa

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Sens badly need a good consistent goalie. We’ve never developed one that stayed with us. So I think we need to trade or sign one that is under 30 and that we know is going to be consistent for us. Which teams are willing to do it? Anything is on the table for a package from Ottawa other than Tkachuk, Stützle, and Sanderson. Couple of interesting names like Carter Hart, Jeremy Swayman (I’m sure there are others out there).

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
I hear that Filip Gustavsson kid might be worth a look lol
Before everyone starts piling on about Gustavsson… yes it’s funny that the next season after he gets traded, he’s posting unreal numbers in Minny. But it would be disingenuous at best to believe that if Ottawa would have simply kept him he’d be having the same career year. Obviously he has lots of potential but everyone knows that Minny is a much better defensive team and goalies are much better insulated there. Heck look at Cam Talbot from last year, he played great for Minny (0.911%) until they got Fleury. Let’s just move on and stay on topic.

Edit: Gustavsson was awful for us last year. At the time, the trade was a reasonable bet. I’m also willing to bet that there’s no way he keeps up these same numbers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Before everyone starts piling on about Gustavsson… yes it’s funny that the next season after he gets traded, he’s posting unreal numbers in Minny. But it would be disingenuous at best to believe that if Ottawa would have simply kept him he’d be having the same career year. Obviously he has lots of potential but everyone knows that Minny is a much better defensive team and goalies are much better insulated there. Heck look at Cam Talbot from last year, he played great for Minny (0.911%) until they got Fleury. Let’s just move on and stay on topic.

Edit: Gustavsson was awful for us last year. At the time, the trade was a reasonable bet. I’m also willing to bet that there’s no way he keeps up these same numbers.
So then what's the point of the thread? Sens had a young goalie with potential and got rid of him. Why would a different young goalie do well in Ottawa if Gustavsson wouldn't? Ottawa still has the same problems.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
So then what's the point of the thread? Sens had a young goalie with potential and got rid of him. Why would a different young goalie do well in Ottawa if Gustavsson wouldn't? Ottawa still has the same problems.
Because Cam Talbot isn’t a good goalie

We definitely screwed up that trade, but more because Cam Talbot was been awful for us and not because Gustavsson is some hidden gem.

In a perfect world, we hold trade for a youngish (under 30) goalie with a proven track record as starter

Reactions: egelband

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Ottawa has added 2 of their top 3 DMen and 2 top 6 forwards since trading Goose, not to mention he is far from a legit starter.

Also - you can’t go back in time, so kind of a pointless comment altogether really.

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
On my…a goalie plays well on one team, goes to new team and sucks….dam it must be the
This is the last comment that I will address because this isn’t on topic. Most nhl goalies rely on team defense for their results and only 10 or so of the upper echelon goaltenders can stand on their heads despite playing on teams like Ottawa who aren’t good defensively. Cam Talbot and Filip Gustavsson aren’t those goalies. Both of them have benefited from playing on a stronger defensive team like Minnesota and both of them did not benefit from playing on a team like Ottawa. It’s really not hard to understand if you would have bothered to do research or educate yourself.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
On my…a goalie plays well on one team, goes to new team and sucks….dam it must be the goalie.
Huh? Who are you even talking about - Talbot?

Your comment would hold more water if Talbot wasn’t clearly outplayed by Forsberg and no more reliable than two guys in their early 20s with basically no pro experience

Demko would be a option that could go well for Ottawa.
Don’t think he is an option but if he is there will be a lot of teams after him

Reactions: egelband

PatrickMcC

May 24, 2015
Is Sogaard not promising? I know he hasn’t had the greatest results but it’s not like he’s had the most solid defense to back him up.
He is but he’s not a no doubt legit starter. That’s more of what I’m looking for.

He is but he’s not a no doubt legit starter. That’s more of what I’m looking for.
He’s not a Dustin Wolf, Devon Levi, Jesper Wallstedt caliber guy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Jacob Markstrom could be available

7hf4w6.gif

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I could see the Flames parting with Vladar pretty cheap. He might not be ideal but there is a lot of upside there.

We’re stuck with Markstrom unfortunately and Wolf is the guy of the future.
I think this is the most realistic option, and the route I‘d speculate they’d go down.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Sens badly need a good consistent goalie. We’ve never developed one that stayed with us. So I think we need to trade or sign one that is under 30 and that we know is going to be consistent for us. Which teams are willing to do it? Anything is on the table for a package from Ottawa other than Tkachuk, Stützle, and Sanderson. Couple of interesting names like Carter Hart, Jeremy Swayman (I’m sure there are others out there).

John Gibson

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad