Confirmed with Link: Leddy + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + 2nd 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
the trading of a 2nd round pick is the real loss here as we seem to trade those things like they are hotcakes.

sunny is not the same player he was 3 years ago so losing him and his fairly high cap hit is not a loss at all. i loved watching sunny play, one of my fav blues on the team but you cannot justify a 2.75 million cap hit for what he is providing the past few years.

walman is interesting because last season he showed alot of promise but he wasnt getting ice time or even playing here. change of scenery could do him good but this also opens up a spot for others and we have pieces that can fill his void. i think he might turn into the real loss of this trade.

i dont like the trade overall though unless leddy is able to play with 55 and that pairing becomes solidified which i dont see happening. paying a 2nd round pick along with the others for basically a cap dump and a rental is kinda dumb but i guess we will see what happens.

Reactions: LGB

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm not thrilled with this trade, especially losing the 2nd Rounder. But, I think Leddy will look better in this lineup than he did with The going-nowhere Wings. He should be able to help The Blues get the puck safely out of their own zone, and adding both Witkowski and him, give The Blues a little more depth in warm bodies and veteran defencemen, in case of spates of injuries or Covid lineup depletions. I really don't think those pluses are worth more than a 2nd Rounder plus even a hurt Sundqvist (although he'd likely have to be jettisoned this offseason, anyway) and Walman. But, we're stuck with the trade, so let's see how things play out.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Not a fan of the deal and would rather Army had done nothing today. The glimmer of hope that I have is that Leddy might have the right complimentary skill set to unlock more from Parayko. While our defense has been pretty poor overall this season, my opinion is that it has been from getting hemmed in our zone far more than from giving up first chance opportunities. If Leddy’s transition skills can turn that around we may see some improvement in team defense and better execution of our 5 man defensive structure. Just trying to see a silver lining here.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The more I think about this trade, the more frustrated I get. First and foremost, we acquired a defenseman who can’t defend to save his life. It’s mind boggling. Even if he’s better than Walman it’s not worth the price. We gave up a second in a really deep draft. And we essentially threw Sundqvist in for cap reasons. So we basically gave Sundqvist away just to fit in a toy that is not going to improve the team. Not saying Sundqvist is worth a fortune, but surely he’s a positive asset who could have fetched a mid round pick in the off season. I feel very confident we could have moved him for space without any real trouble.

Long story short, I hate this trade even more three hours later. Which is saying something because my initial reaction was “are you f***ing kidding me?” I would much rather have done nothing that make this move simply to make a move. Because that’s exactly what this is.

Last edited:

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
stupid trade
What would've been sufficient, in your estimation?? This team is flawed and one big fish defenseman wasn't going to change that and be the difference in winning a cup or not this season.
Though I still think we are capable of going deep into the second round, possibly further with a bit of luck and better overall team play. Would you have preferred grossly overpaying for something that would yield similar results just to have the cache of making a big move? How much will your tune change if we go on a bit of a run and Leddy ends up being an instrumental part of it?

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Walman has upside. Leddy is on the downswing. Walman had term, Leddy is a dead asset. He doesn't fix the problems we have at all. We aren't going to try to feed Walman minutes he cannot handle, we will with Leddy. We are a better team with Walman now because we won't think we have something we don't. And we are a better team with Walman in the future, because we would have an asset going foreward when now we don't.
What upside? Walman is maxed out.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
The more I think about this trade, the more frustrated I get. First and foremost, we acquired a defenseman who can’t defend to save his life. It’s mind boggling. Even if he’s better than Walman it’s not worth the price. We gave up a second in a really deep draft. And we essentially threw Sundqvist in for cap reasons. So we basically gave Sundqvist away just to fit in a toy that is not going to improve the team. Not saying Sundqvist is worth a fortune, but surely he’s a positive asset who could have fetched a mid round pick in the off season. I feel very confident we could have moved him for space without my real trouble.

Long story short, I hate this trade even more three hours later. Which is saying something because my initial reaction was “are you f***ing kidding me?” I would much rather have done nothing that make this move simply to make a move. Because that’s exactly what this is.
You do realize part of a GM's job is playing chess? And Army has proven to be a hawk on the board. Pretending this is an end all be all type move and being this frustrated is ridiculous.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
It’s a good trade. The 2nd rounder stings a little. Would be better if Leddy had another year or two on his deal.

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
I like this trade. I think the team gets better. We paid a second for that and an improved cap situation. Not sure why everyone is making Leddy out to be terrible after one season in Detroit.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
A complete waste of a 2nd round pick. (Ever hear of Jordan Kyrou?)

As John Kelly would say - Un-Be-Lievable.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
I like this trade. I think the team gets better. We paid a second for that and an improved cap situation. Not sure why everyone is making Leddy out to be terrible after one season in Detroit.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018

How many second rounders have we drafted over the years before hitting on a talent like Kyrou? (Brett Sonne anyone?)
Army should be able to find a way to recoup the pick or pick up a prospect to negate the sting.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

DA has never valued late 2nds. After about the top 10 of the 2nd round the expected value tends to really fall off and we clearly don't believe late 2nds are premium asset. Guys like Kyrou and Barbie and Perunovich were all picked in first half of 2nd round.

Reactions: Xerloris
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
You do realize part of a GM's job is playing chess? And Army has proven to be a hawk on the board. Pretending this is an end all be all type move and being this frustrated is ridiculous.
I don’t feel this is a be all end all trade. I just hate this deal since I don’t feel it truly filled a need. And I don’t think we’d have had an issue moving Sundqvist in the summer. It’s a pointless trade, just to make a trade.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
I don’t feel this is a be all end all trade. I just hate this deal since I don’t feel it truly filled a need. And I don’t think we’d have had an issue moving Sundqvist in the summer. It’s a pointless trade, just to make a trade.

Leddy is an experienced, cup winning LHD who can log big minutes and is still a good age. Is he perfect? No. Will he help? Likely yes.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
ROR was -23 on Buffalo before we acquired him. I guess it was a bad idea to trade for him at that time too. It's impressive how far pessimists will throw logic out the window.
-23 on Buffalo is actually quite impressive considering how miserable they were.

-33 on Detroit is a dumpster fire. Detroit is bad but not Buffalo in 2018 levels of bad. He led the wings with the worst +-

Hopefully he can pair with 55 and all is forgotten but this team was not worth wasting assets on and DA did just that.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Regardless of whether Leddy helps us this year, and I think he will, this trade was largely about clearing out Sunny's contract for next year. As DA said, he's not in our top 9 and we can't be paying 4th liners what he is making if we are going to be able to get players we need elsewhere. And everyone could see that he has no legs right now and maybe never again will. He really had negative value and we needed to move on.

We now have room to potentially resign Husso and also add legit top pairing D (if we send out Scandella) like Sanheim or Provorov or Chyrcrun. We have ability to do even more if we deal Tank. Still cap issues the following summer, but this trade leaves us much better off going forward. And that absolutely is worth a 2nd.
This move makes me think the team is going to try and keep Husso.

The market was pretty crazy. I can't believe what some teams gave up for the moves they made. Maybe Armstrong can win the offseason again?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think it's an ok trade. There are certainly a handful of names I would have preferred over Leddy, but we got him.

The 2nd round pick is the only portion of the move where I say it was a little overpaid, but most deadline moves are overpayments. Sundqvist has been injury prone of late and freeing up his cap space opens up room for future moves in the offseason, and Walman going out isn't too big of a loss.

If we can get the Islanders version of Leddy we will really benefit from bringing that. Let's hope that's what we get from him

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I think it's an ok trade. There are certainly a handful of names I would have preferred over Leddy, but we got him.

The 2nd round pick is the only portion of the move where I say it was a little overpaid, but most deadline moves are overpayments. Sundqvist has been injury prone of late and freeing up his cap space opens up room for future moves in the offseason, and Walman going out isn't too big of a loss.

If we can get the Islanders version of Leddy we will really benefit from bringing that. Let's hope that's what we get from him
Army has this way of finding diamonds in the rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad