Confirmed with Link: Leddy + Witkowski for Sundqvist + Walman + 2nd 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Should tell how you poor our other LD options were.

Because maybe he isn't as bad as the doubters think? That even though he has limitations he brings element we need on D. And Sunny was giving us pretty much nothing this year, unfortunately.
I didn't think it would drop. I just didn't think it would increase heavily either. But, like I've said before. idc who is on the back of the jerseys, I'm going to watch and cheer for the Blues through the highs and lows.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Experience is nice, but you know what’s better? Actually being a good defender. Which Leddy is not.

We'll have to see for ourselves. Too bad your opinions aren't based on watching him play because I dont think anyone realistically follows the Islanders/Red Wings to really have a in depth opinion about him like our scouts who do this professionally.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
We'll have to see for ourselves. Too bad your opinions aren't based on watching him play because I dont think anyone realistically follows the Islanders/Red Wings to really have a in depth opinion about him like our scouts who do this professionally.
I watched plenty of him when he was on the Blackhawks. Even then, in his prime, he was awful in the defensive zone.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

So the red wings fans who have said he is awful didn't watch him a lot?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
The argument that this deal is good because we got cap space is ridiculous. Sunqvist was not a negative value player. 30 point pace in limited minutes and heavy PK usage is absolutely worth $2.75M. Despite not playing up to his potential, he was still worth something. He is not the ridiculous steal he was, but he is still worth that contract. We could have easily traded him and gotten an asset back. Instead we traded him and it cost us an asset. It's just terrible asset management.

To the people saying Leddy is great because he goes away, again, why spend an asset for a guy who at best goes away? To the people who are saying , you haven't watched him, just because you don't watch hockey outside the Blues doesn't mean nobody else does. To the people saying, he was the best option available, listen to what Armstrong of day's gone by used to say: "sometimes the best move is no move". If Leddy isn't the solution then don't waste assets acquiring him. If some of you think he is the solution, then why didn't his name ever come up before now on this board?

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
It's possible he was awful on red wings, good on isles, and can be good again on better team than wings. likely even.
Except for the fact that his advanced stats are equally as bad on other teams. And people who have watched him on the Isles say he was bad. In 2017-18 he was a -42 on the Isles. +/- isn't a great stat but it is telling when you are a -42 and the next worst D is a -8. And that's before his offense went to shit. That's when he was actually good at offense. Imagine how bad he can be with the same shit defense and only putting up 20-something points.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The argument that this deal is good because we got cap space is ridiculous. Sunqvist was not a negative value player. 30 point pace in limited minutes and heavy PK usage is absolutely worth $2.75M. Despite not playing up to his potential, he was still worth something. He is not the ridiculous steal he was, but he is still worth that contract. We could have easily traded him and gotten an asset back. Instead we traded him and it cost us an asset. It's just terrible asset management.

To the people saying Leddy is great because he goes away, again, why spend an asset for a guy who at best goes away? To the people who are saying , you haven't watched him, just because you don't watch hockey outside the Blues doesn't mean nobody else does. To the people saying, he was the best option available, listen to what Armstrong of day's gone by used to say: "sometimes the best move is no move". If Leddy isn't the solution then don't wast assets acquiring him. If some of you think he is the solution, then why didn't his name ever come up before now on this board?
The idea that Sunny was cap dump wasn't just fan fancy. Army basically said as much. In flat cap era you can't pay his $ for 4th liner. You just can't.

As to whether Leddy name came up, I've mentioned him multiple times. I even predicted last night we would deal for him (and Braun, who went to Rangers). I'm not saying he is the solution, but I do think he can help. I don't love dealing 2nd, but adding Leddy and shedding $ this summer are both positives that combined probably justify it.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Wings fan here. I come in peace.

Leddy played well for us the first 10(ish) games of the season when he was paired with Seider.
Seider took off so the logical choice was to separate the two to try and get the second pair stronger.
While Seider dragged around the corpse of Danny DeKeyser, Leddy checked out mentally. He stopped caring it seemed.

With Playoffs in his future I think Leddy will check back in for you guys and play well.
He's not going to be a defensive god but he can carry the puck very well still.

The gem in this trade is Witter.
If he can crack your lineup, Witkowski is one tough and mean SOB. He will stand up for his teammates and is easy to root for. The biggest problem with him is he's not that great at hockey. Not bad at it but he is in the wrong era of the sport. He would have done very well in the 90's.
But if you need a D that can also play forward and is tough as nails then he's your guy.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Except for the fact that his advanced stats are equally as bad on other teams. And people who have watched him on the Isles say he was bad. In 2017-18 he was a -42 on the Isles. +/- isn't a great stat but it is telling when you are a -42 and the next worst D is a -8. And that's before his offense went to shit. That's when he was actually good at offense. Imagine how bad he can be with the same shit defense and only putting up 20-something points.
it's not necessarily black and white. numbers say he is great in transition. bad in zone maybe but great in transition. you pair him with someone great in zone but crappy in transition it can be a pair that is better than either individually. i know having parayko with decent defensive players that were awful in transition obviously didn't work. this feels like reasonable bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad