News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, they need something to turn the buses around. I'm not sure what other options were considered, but safety would be relative to those alternatives not what happened the last 30 years since circumstances have changed.

Not saying they made the right choice here, I honestly don't have an opinion on the matter, however I generally am good with turning circles as I find them more efficient for traffic, and lessen the potential for high speed collisions, but don't like them as a pedestrian, this design seems to address my concern.

We'll see how it turns out,
they held a meeting called a community "consultation". They walked in with a done deal design and presented it to a very hostile audience. Various options were discussed at that meeting. I'd say that they had already locked in on their design and weren't in any way expecting the hostility. People don't like being lied to. I don't think they were very truthful and frankly should have just said "we don't give a f*** what you think" because it at least would have been honest. Anyway, glad my kids don't have walk thru that traffic circle every day

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like that speed camera is doing some heavy lifting!
Neat. you can look at data on individual cameras on Open Ottawa,

Violations have been trending down since it was installed, and speed limit compliance rates have risen from 79% in March to 98% in the latest data set from Aug.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Violations have been trending down since it was installed, and speed limit compliance rates have risen from 79% in March to 98% in the latest data set from Aug.
I reference open Ottawa more than I'd care to admit!

For all the complaining about speed cameras... That one is crushing it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Speed cameras are idiotic and only useful as a cash grab. If safety was the primary concern, we'd have speed average cameras. The only thing speed cameras do are make people slow down at the camera while continuing to speed before and after.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Speed cameras are idiotic and only useful as a cash grab. If safety was the primary concern, we'd have speed average cameras. The only thing speed cameras do are make people slow down at the camera while continuing to speed before and after.
What is a speed average camera, exactly?

The research still needs to be improved on but there is preliminary evidence that they have reduced accidents and deaths, so maybe the only thing they do is worth it.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Heaven forbid drivers just don't... Idk... Go over the speed limit?

I immediately assume anyone complaining about fines from speed cameras have had to pay speeding fines because they were driving over the speed limit.

Speed begets fines. Don't want a fine? Let up on the old gas pedal.

Reactions: bashbros32

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What is a speed average camera, exactly?

The research still needs to be improved on but there is preliminary evidence that they have reduced accidents and deaths, so maybe the only thing they do is worth it.
2 cameras posted on the street where you're trying to reduce speed violations. Cameras capture the license plates entering and exiting, process the time difference and calculate the average speed of the car along the entire stretch of the road where the cameras are posted. It prevents people from speeding up to the camera, slowing down in the camera's view and then immediately speeding afterwards.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Heaven forbid drivers just don't... Idk... Go over the speed limit?

I immediately assume anyone complaining about fines from speed cameras have had to pay speeding fines because they were driving over the speed limit.

Speed begets fines. Don't want a fine? Let up on the old gas pedal.
Its about artificially lowering speed limits in the name of safety where there were no issue's to begin with. Most of the speed limits around the city make sense, its the ones that don't where they have these camera's that are the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly this. Many entrepreneurs or business owners I know are already moaning and groaning about not being able to drive their cars there. These are the guys who buy the suites, the Club Bell loges etc. They like to drive in their Gwagun, Bentley, Lamborghini etc. to the games. So, I am sure they have calculated how many suite/season ticket holders would want valet. Simple to do really. Just do a count of how many there are in Valet for the last 5 years would give a good picture. So, at the very least, they will have enough parking for those types. I am good with that.
The team will need more parking than the current quantity of valet parking users. The middle class will NOT be mistreated, as you support! :)

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Its about artificially lowering speed limits in the name of safety where there were no issue's to begin with. Most of the speed limits around the city make sense, its the ones that don't where they have these camera's that are the problem.
LOL - OK. So you're saying that the City should up the speed limit on some streets because the current limit is too low, causing people to go over the limit, instead of enforcing the current speed limits through the use of these cameras?

Alright, you have any particular examples in mind? Any thoughts as to why the limit is too low?

Now, I'm gonna preface your answer with a few little details.

1) Automated Speed Enforcement (ASE) cameras can't be placed just anywhere. They are only able to be placed in either a) designated school zones or b) community safety zones (which are designated via bylaw), which are areas like: school areas, parks/playgrounds, excessive speeding areas, low speed limit compliance areas, or areas with collision history.

2) School zone enforcement is broadly applied city-wide. From 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, all designated school zones have a reduced speed limit whether or not there is an ASE in place.

3) Motorists are provided a 90 day warning prior to a new ASE being installed. If it's on your regular routes, then you've been provided IMO ample warning to adjust your behaviour.

Here's a list of all of the 40 ASE locations in Ottawa.

Of particular note, 34 of these locations are around one or more schools!

Of the 6 non-school locations, we have:

High Speed Locations: 4

Parks: 2

You know what, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're not talking about increasing speed limits around schools, because that's just a wild thing to believe. Why risk the lives of kids in those areas?

And surely you don't mean around Mooney's Bay or Brewer Park. Again, because of the whole kids thing.

So I guess the real question here is, which of the 4 High Speed locations do you think warrant an increase in the posted speed limit?

Data: Automated Speed Enforcement | City of Ottawa

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Parking will be there, but to your point, it will be for high income people.

Fewer spots that are much more expensive.

Parking at Scotiabank Place for a Leafs game is $50. It might not be quite as high here, but it won’t be $20 anymore. I’d expect $35-40 for a spot at the building.

I think everyone can agree that no parking would not have worked. But the question that remains is how much parking?

I think some expect close to as many spots as in Kanata, and that’s just not happening.

The average Sens fan who sits in the 300s probably won’t be parking at the building.

Personally, I’m surprised this is such a topic. Why do people want to drive to games anyway? I’d much rather buy overpriced beer than overpriced parking and have a good time.

I remember a had a friend come into town from Chicago one time for a game and told him I’d be driving. His first question was “why would you want to drive?”
The Lebreton Flats area is larger than the Senators arena. Parking will be required for more events than just those at the arena. The parking area(s) need to serve the entire area not just the Senators games at the arena. The parking area will have to serve more people than the "rich".

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The team will need more parking than the current quantity of valet parking users. The middle class will NOT be mistreated, as you support! :)
I know you’re joking but…

They currently have 150 valet spots, it’s more likely the wealthier than middle class are grabbing the few spots, at triple the cost of regular parking.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I know you’re joking but…

They currently have 150 valet spots, it’s more likely the wealthier than middle class are grabbing the few spots, at triple the cost of regular parking.
I’m not “rich” but I love valet. It’s usually full but the differential between average parking and valet is worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad