News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, they need something to turn the buses around. I'm not sure what other options were considered, but safety would be relative to those alternatives not what happened the last 30 years since circumstances have changed.

Not saying they made the right choice here, I honestly don't have an opinion on the matter, however I generally am good with turning circles as I find them more efficient for traffic, and lessen the potential for high speed collisions, but don't like them as a pedestrian, this design seems to address my concern.

We'll see how it turns out,
they held a meeting called a community "consultation". They walked in with a done deal design and presented it to a very hostile audience. Various options were discussed at that meeting. I'd say that they had already locked in on their design and weren't in any way expecting the hostility. People don't like being lied to. I don't think they were very truthful and frankly should have just said "we don't give a f*** what you think" because it at least would have been honest. Anyway, glad my kids don't have walk thru that traffic circle every day

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sounds like that speed camera is doing some heavy lifting!
Neat. you can look at data on individual cameras on Open Ottawa,

Violations have been trending down since it was installed, and speed limit compliance rates have risen from 79% in March to 98% in the latest data set from Aug.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Violations have been trending down since it was installed, and speed limit compliance rates have risen from 79% in March to 98% in the latest data set from Aug.
I reference open Ottawa more than I'd care to admit!

For all the complaining about speed cameras... That one is crushing it.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Speed cameras are idiotic and only useful as a cash grab. If safety was the primary concern, we'd have speed average cameras. The only thing speed cameras do are make people slow down at the camera while continuing to speed before and after.

Reactions: Masked

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Speed cameras are idiotic and only useful as a cash grab. If safety was the primary concern, we'd have speed average cameras. The only thing speed cameras do are make people slow down at the camera while continuing to speed before and after.
What is a speed average camera, exactly?

The research still needs to be improved on but there is preliminary evidence that they have reduced accidents and deaths, so maybe the only thing they do is worth it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
What is a speed average camera, exactly?

The research still needs to be improved on but there is preliminary evidence that they have reduced accidents and deaths, so maybe the only thing they do is worth it.
We need a speed standard deviation camera, complete with a two-tailed student t-test.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad