News Article: Lebreton...UPDATE - Agreement made with NCC.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, pickup is not very good at the arena. It would be worse than the airport where there was a monopoly by the taxi company in collusion with the airport. I think an Uber could pick you up if you called it though.

Did they say what the expected cleanup cost is estimated to be?
It was 50 million like 8-10 years ago.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
It was 50 million like 8-10 years ago.
I don't think that number applies. 8-10 years ago they didn't have an arena site so who knows what the old hypotheticals applied to. Could be more, could be less.

Also, one thing people need to keep in mind is that the decontamination costs are only those above and beyond the excavation and hauling costs that would be assumed for the project regardless. So if it was $50M 8-10 years ago but that was from scratch, the actual cost for decontamination now that there is the need to excavate comes down to just the additional tipping or incineration fees and potentially added hauling costs depending on where the contaminated fill disposal site is.

It's not quite that simple but point is a huge percentage of the cost is now assumed in the need to excavate regardless. This doesn't necessarily favour the Sens unless the NCC says they will assume 100% of the costs to decontaminate and they transfer over the open hole. That will 'save' the sens 10's of millions. But as others have pointed out, it all comes out in the wash in the final sale price.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
18,000 seats?

Does anyone know how many parking spaces would be required for an 18,000 seat arena?

One sight says 1 spot per 3.5 attendees. That would mean 18,000 / 3.5 = 5,142 spots.
Parking? They’ll end up with a bunch of tulips, bike lanes and bike racks. LOL.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I hope to god they don't do anything remotely like Lansdown. That place is void of any substance, big boxes, and concrete.

you don't think all of those parking space will be used by the tenants? Even people who don't use their spots rent them out for big bucks.
Not if the proposed build is to have some 25% affordability housing, which usually means people will not have vehicles. And, typically when building a multi unit close to LRT or public transit, vehicle parking spaces are discouraged for the builder. So, my impression of talking to people close to this, these towers will have ample spaces many levels underground for events.

Reactions: Relapsing

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Cleanup for 10acres will be about 10-20million…..the cost to purchase land should be in the range of 15-20million. So it could be a wash. Clean the land and it’s your for cheap. If NCC cleans the land, then fair market value would be as stated above for clean, non contaminated land.

Reactions: Relapsing

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not if the proposed build is to have some 25% affordability housing, which usually means people will not have vehicles. And, typically when building a multi unit close to LRT or public transit, vehicle parking spaces are discouraged for the builder. So, my impression of talking to people close to this, these towers will have ample spaces many levels underground for events.
You clearly don't know people in affordable housing. I don't see them setting aside parking spaces in a residential building for general parking. Name one residential building in this city where this is the case? Not all apartments come with parking spots and for the ones that are available they go to the people willing to pay for them. Now what those people do with them is up to them if it was included with the purchase of their condo they could rent it out to another tenant. The security issue's alone is why this won't happen.

For what he's done to the city, he should be heckled whenever he's in public.
Yeah, no.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I suspect 'fair market value' is a bit misleading since the value of the land is going to be intrinsically linked to the cost of decontamination which as I understand it is still an unknown both in terms of scope and who's taking it on. I'd throw acquisition cost out the window, Andlauer could end up getting it for a song at the end of the day.

Here is how the optimist in me sees this the more I think about it. The Sens have just 'purchased' a parcel of land that the federal government has a massive stake in. We know the NCC isn't going to go halfway with Lebreton and through leases and land sales etc... they essentially have an unlimited budget to develop it into a model of sustainability that makes it a global icon. We're talking a gold standard master plan that goes up against anything out there in the world's most forward thinking cities.

For an example think of what the Highline did for the City of New York... That project singlehandedly put New York back on the map and will pay dividends for the next century. It gets written up in all kinds of publications and New York and the various authorities involved did an excellent job to leverage the good press and maximize the return on the project in general.

So, if the NCC is going global with Lebreton what's a little help in making sure the arena is the hallmark of the whole thing? Especially when the help could be conveniently baked into the decontamination or land transfer. It can also be concealed under the guise of the partnership, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I could think of 100 ways the NCC could pitch in in a way that manages the optics- they cover the cost of all public space around the arena for example, or all the infrastructure...

With such a massive opportunity and all sorts of global recognition at stake the City of Ottawa isn't going to sit idly by, they will do everything to hitch their trailer to it. It would be bad business to not get involved. Maybe the Province too.

So, the Sens have the opportunity to position themselves and the arena as a relatively affordable part of something absolutely massive with a lineup of drooling stakeholders looking to have their name stamped somewhere amongst it. It's a scenario where you could see the burden of the $1B price tag for the arena portion of the project creatively slashed to make sure it becomes a worthy centrepiece to everything else that will happen at Lebreton.

I really hope that's the case.

Problem here is....does the government even have the money? All levels of government have been spending foolishly, and the city of Ottawa is in one hell of a budget crunch (at least according to the newspapers). Then add in the bad press over how Calgary got bent over for the Flames...optics now would crucify any politician handing out money to yet another NHL team in this country.

This feels like the worst possible time to be looking for tax dollars in any form.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
You clearly don't know people in affordable housing. I don't see them setting aside parking spaces in a residential building for general parking. Name one residential building in this city where this is the case? Not all apartments come with parking spots and for the ones that are available they go to the people willing to pay for them. Now what those people do with them is up to them if it was included with the purchase of their condo they could rent it out to another tenant. The security issue's alone is why this won't happen.

Yeah, no.
This is a project that is like no other. And, the developers are the teams partners. They can do whatever they want to make this work. I would have no problem to have allocated 1000 parking spaces in each of the three buildings or however many needed. This is a long term solution that has limited acreage for the said facility. Believe me., I am very familiar with affordable housing and how the CHMC approves projects for affordable housing.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
This is a project that is like no other. And, the developers are the teams partners. They can do whatever they want to make this work. I would have no problem to have allocated 1000 parking spaces in each of the three buildings or however many needed. This is a long term solution that has limited acreage for the said facility. Believe me., I am very familiar with affordable housing and how the CHMC approves projects for affordable housing.
I don't know how you would design the egress needed under a tower for a 1000 car exodus after an event. From my experience parkades that accommodate mass exits like that have a big enough footprint so they can be broken up into sections each with their own entry/exit and each designed to disperse cars at opposite ends.

Valet parking can work in the situation you're talking about though.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
For anyone who is curious, TD Garden offers a model similar to what we might expect. Heavily dependant on public transit, few parking lots nearby.

The largest parking lot is directly under the arena and it has 1755 spots. TD Garden is built on only 3.2 acres.

So assuming the budget was there a parking complex under a 10 acre plot could accommodate perhaps 5,000 vehicles, or 1 in 4 patrons.

At $40 per vehicle that would generate $200k per game or $8M per year off hockey alone. Multiply by X for other events + day parking and it would seem it could pay itself off quite quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad