News Article: Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

Habtchum*

I totally disagree, and I am someone who ALWAYS wants to draft BPA. Leblanc was BPA at the time, or at least can easily have been seen as that. This was NOT an off the chart pick, not at all.

And you know what? He will be an NHL player, solid. To have got .25 ppg last year without PP time as a 20 year old in the NHL, that is quite promising.

+ He played on five different teams in the last five years. And had seven different head coaches. + two important injuries.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I totally disagree, and I am someone who ALWAYS wants to draft BPA. Leblanc was BPA at the time, or at least can easily have been seen as that. This was NOT an off the chart pick, not at all.

And you know what? He will be an NHL player, solid. To have got .25 ppg last year without PP time as a 20 year old in the NHL, that is quite promising.
Agree. He will be an NHL player, a solid 3rd liner.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I really suspect that grooming Leblanc for the 3rd line is selling him short.

He may become a top third liner in the NHL who can fill in on a scoring line, but that does not mean that he should be played limited minutes in Hamilton. Given what I have now heard from Marc Bergevin and others, I am sure Leblanc will get more ice time once he is 100% recovered and sharp again. He is definitely still in the Habs' plans.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Only reason Leblanc was drafted is because the Habs felt they had to get a French guy. The probably could have picked him up in 2nd round... What a waste of a pick that was!

I remember before the draft people were fretting because he was ranked higher than where we were picking. And people celebrating because McKenzie called him something like "potentially the steal of the first round" on Twitter shortly after the draft.

But, you know...it was only the Habs who liked him and only because he was Quebecois and we could have picked him in the second. Revisionist history is fun.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Only reason Leblanc was drafted is because the Habs felt they had to get a French guy. The probably could have picked him up in 2nd round... What a waste of a pick that was!

Must by why all the scouting services had him mid 1st round. :shakehead

...also Team Canada just took him to have their "french" content.:sarcasm:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I'm praying that Leblanc won't become Chipchura (captain of Team Canada Jr) or Pyatt. Please no.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm praying that Leblanc won't become Chipchura (captain of Team Canada Jr) or Pyatt. Please no.

Why would he?? Unlike both, Leblanc produced in the NHL.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Leblanc was seen as a CLEAR 1st rounder from everybody. Meaning, from the francos to the non-francos. Everything else is pure stupidity or eager to create something that doesn't exist.

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
Why would he?? Unlike both, Leblanc produced in the NHL.

First year Chipchura: 36GP:4G:7A:11PTS
First year Leblanc: 42G:5G:5A:10PTS

So yea i don't think Leblanc will be like Chipchura, but to say that Leblanc has produced more in the NHL is not true at all.

Last edited:

PunkinDrublic*

Leblanc was seen as a CLEAR 1st rounder from everybody. Meaning, from the francos to the non-francos. Everything else is pure stupidity or eager to create something that doesn't exist.

To be fair WS, i didn't but i am not a scout. I always thought he would be a second rounder. I was never impressed with his play in the US. Plus, i found him to be small of frame. It's all good though, i wish him the best and i have no doubt after seeing him play in NHL last year, that he has his place some day, but only on the third line.

Again my opinion, which means squat really, right ?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

So yea i don't think Leblanc will be like Chipchura, but to say that Leblanc has produced more in the NHL is not true at all.

Damn you and your scientific stats

Halifaxhab*

problem this season has been Leblanc's ankle injury. he hasn't been the same. not to mention playing 10mins per game isn't what he needs. he needs 20, devellop his offensive game. wherever he gets that is where he shoukd be

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

LeBlanc's hands and hockey sense are miles ahead of Chipper, stats won't tell you that.

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
What? Chipchura never had bad hockey sense, he had a massive fluke injury that almost cost him his career. He had trouble with foot speed after that and had to assume a new style and type of game to stay in the NHL.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
I'm starting to worry about that pick, tho I was glad when the Habs picked him in 2009.

Previously, he had a very good season as a linemate of Kristo in the USHL, almost reaching Kristo's production but a bit younger.

But the following years with Harvard, in the NCAA first, than with Mtl jrs, in the Q were not totally as expected, since he was never a dominating force there.

I know the last two years were a nightmare for him with those injuries and I know the way he was use is very questionable, but he will have to deliver somewhere, sometime.....

For the moment, I'm still a fan of him, but he must dominate the AHL this year!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Again my opinion, which means squat really, right ?

correct

What? Chipchura never had bad hockey sense, he had a massive fluke injury that almost cost him his career. He had trouble with foot speed after that and had to assume a new style and type of game to stay in the NHL.

agreed

I'm starting to worry about that pick, tho I was glad when the Habs picked him in 2009.

Previously, he had a very good season as a linemate of Kristo in the USHL, almost reaching Kristo's production but a bit younger.

But the following years with Harvard, in the NCAA first, than with Mtl jrs, in the Q were not totally as expected, since he was never a dominating force there.

I know the last two years were a nightmare for him with those injuries and I know the way he was use is very questionable, but he will have to deliver somewhere, sometime.....

For the moment, I'm still a fan of him, but he must dominate the AHL this year!

Did you happen to watch him much at Havard? Can you recall many prospects that lead their team in goals, points and pims as a Freshman?

Even in the Q he was 2nd on the team in goals, 3rd in points and led in pims plus ppg.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Complete myth.

Chipchura was no worst a skater before he tore his achilles. same thing happened to Selanne and Bieksa and they didn't turn into Brad Marsh.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I guess when it comes down to it, there really isn't any room on the team for Leblanc right now.

Seems like our team's assessment of him is that he'll only make it on our team playing in the bottom 6.

Interesting articles.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/...hology-of-choosing-your-fourth-line-forwards/

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/...-why-some-guys-make-the-show-and-others-dont/

It's not about right now. You want to develop a kid like LeBlanc to be similar to Plekanec in 2-3 years and be able to play in all situations(PP PK offensive and defensive situations) and play top 6. Where he fits when he first breaks into the NHL is irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad