News Article: Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PunkinDrublic*

correct

agreed

Did you happen to watch him much at Havard? Can you recall many prospects that lead their team in goals, points and pims as a Freshman?

Even in the Q he was 2nd on the team in goals, 3rd in points and led in pims plus ppg.

We are all aware of your love for Leblanc, and i know it's hard sometimes to accept other opinions ( negative ) on a player we thought was going to be something special and they end up being average.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think people like to use Chipchura's injury as an excuse for why the pick didn't pan out. Was he really a vastly different player before and after? He was projected to be a third liner, and what is he now...a fourth liner? I know people had visions of Carbonneau but isn't it possible that Chipchura wasn't ever going to hit that ceiling, injury or not?

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
Did you happen to watch him much at Havard? Can you recall many prospects that lead their team in goals, points and pims as a Freshman?

Even in the Q he was 2nd on the team in goals, 3rd in points and led in pims plus ppg.

I never watched a Harvard match (not avail in Mtl), but I was following his progression in the NCAA stats and mainly, I was reading your posts, since you are the most knowledgable writer for NCAA matters (no joke here...you are the best!) But was'nt the ECAC a weak link in NCAA divisions? Anyway I was hoping a little bit more from LL.

In the Q, I was hoping for a more dominating LL in the Q, not the best second or third scorer in his team, altho he plaid less games.

It is just the perception of what I was expecting from a first round pick like him. I was hoping more from LL.

I dont quit yet on Leblanc, as I'm still hoping he get tru and become a good player for the Habs, despite his injuries and his misuses, but I'm counting on a very good second half season for him with the Dogs, if not.....

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
wow this reminds me of the Higgins talk....and the Paccioretti talk and the Chipchura talk....when they were at the same stage in their careers. It's hard for us fans to be patient. Fact is it's a big jump to pro hockey and an even bigger jump to being a regular player led alone a productive one.

Leblanc was a very good junior prospect. No doubt. He played great in College and the CHL and even played great for Canada at the WJC.

He has been a very good young pro to date...but he needs to be better.

Only time will tell if he can ramp it up like Paccioretti did or if he will have a hard time like Chipchura....

I'm looking forward to watching him progress and I'll be rooting for him.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I think people like to use Chipchura's injury as an excuse for why the pick didn't pan out. Was he really a vastly different player before and after? He was projected to be a third liner, and what is he now...a fourth liner? I know people had visions of Carbonneau but isn't it possible that Chipchura wasn't ever going to hit that ceiling, injury or not?

From what I heard at the time, his injury was devastating and he was never able to fully recover his skating stride. But I wasn't the doctor or anything....

Malakhov

Nov 30, 2003
Montreal, QC
Visit site
I'm on the fence with Leblanc. He doesn't have it to be a top 2 lines player and now it depends on whether or not he can learn to become a good 3rd line player. If not, I think all is lost.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We are all aware of your love for Leblanc, and i know it's hard sometimes to accept other opinions ( negative ) on a player we thought was going to be something special and they end up being average.

I don't need to accept others opinions because I put a great amount of time and energy in watching them play, so I can form my own opinions. I always try to call it how I see it for all the years i've been here. Leblanc has looked terrible this year, hopefully it's the injury cause i've seen him play in the USHL, NCAA, Q, WJC's, almost every game he's played in the AHL to date and the NHL. Last year he was very good in Hamilton, just as he was at every level outside the NHL, but that doesn't mean he's going to be a good NHLer we'll just have to wait and see.

I never watched a Harvard match (not avail in Mtl), but I was following his progression in the NCAA stats and mainly, I was reading your posts, since you are the most knowledgable writer for NCAA matters (no joke here...you are the best!) But was'nt the ECAC a weak link in NCAA divisions? Anyway I was hoping a little bit more from LL.

In the Q, I was hoping for a more dominating LL in the Q, not the best second or third scorer in his team, altho he plaid less games.

It is just the perception of what I was expecting from a first round pick like him. I was hoping more from LL.

I dont quit yet on Leblanc, as I'm still hoping he get tru and become a good player for the Habs, despite his injuries and his misuses, but I'm counting on a very good second half season for him with the Dogs, if not.....

Thanks. Yes the ECAC is a weaker conference but Havard plays against some of the top teams in the NCAA like BC, BU and Minnesota (etc..) The fact that as a Freshman on a bad team he was able to carry them offensively, should give some sort of indication of what he can do skill wise.

Personally I don't look at the stats but how they play. Leblanc is smart and hard working along with being skilled so there's a lot to like. His lack of size/strength and speed are a big concern going forward but I'd say he's been very good at every level except the NHL so we'll have to see how he does over the next few years.

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Does anybody know how much ice time Louie has been averaging in Hamilton? Can't seem to find those stats anywhere online :huh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I saw him on the Bulldogs and I really thought he was going to be great. I don't know if the ankle injury did anything or not but maybe our expectations were too high to begin with.

As for Leblanc... he just needs to stick it out. Lots of players go through dark times. I remember Max saying he'd rather be in the minors and play... too soon to write this guy off yet. Hopefully he pans out.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
From what I heard at the time, his injury was devastating and he was never able to fully recover his skating stride. But I wasn't the doctor or anything....

heard the same here. losing your stride can be devastating
belittling an injury like that reflects on ignorance and lack of knowledge

bib

#believe
Aug 28, 2007
Here's hoping to him bouncing back. He has great on ice vision.

Now that the NHL has started, a few spots might open up in Hamilton.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I'm a bit worried about Leblanc, should I ?
0 pt in the last 10 games, 1 assist in 18 games. His last goal was on Dec 1st, 2012.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
In 2 post-lockout games, Leblanc has 1goal, 9 SOG, -1+/-, 4PIM(2 for roughing). 1 missed shootout attempt.

So this is encouraging. He's getting involved.

Halifaxhab*

In 2 post-lockout games, Leblanc has 1goal, 9 SOG, -1+/-, 4PIM(2 for roughing). 1 missed shootout attempt.

So this is encouraging. He's getting involved.

the 9 SOG tell me he's more into the game and pushing it towards the opposition.

Give him a full season in the AHL as a top 6 centre (as in the rest of this season, and half of next) and we'll see what he can really do. it's only his 2nd pro season and he was injured and felt like he was demoted so give him time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Give him a full season in the AHL as a top 6 centre (as in the rest of this season, and half of next) and we'll see what he can really do. it's only his 2nd pro season and he was injured and felt like he was demoted so give him time.

Leblanc hasn't been playing center, he's been on the wing.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I saw him on the Bulldogs and I really thought he was going to be great. I don't know if the ankle injury did anything or not but maybe our expectations were too high to begin with.
Pre-injury, Chipchura's skating was an issue. He needed to get quicker. It was one of the main knocks on him as a prospect. Then he had the achilles injury. Surely it delayed his ability to get quicker. But by the time he was in Hamilton and getting looks from the Habs, it was very clear to me that he had indeed improved his quickness, relatively to his pre-injury state. And it's clear today that he's skating well enough to play in the NHL. He's no slower now than I expected he was going to be when we drafted him. Never fast, never agile, but never by so much that it would stop him from playing. That's what I expected before the injury, and that's what I see today.

I think the injury delayed and interrupted his development, but I just don't think you can pin it all on the injury. His vision and anticipation just haven't translated into the kind of production and defensive impact that I expected. I'm also not sure that he has really packed on the NHL strength at the pace expected? He fights a bit and plays along the boards, but I never get the impression that he has really added the muscle to be the most effective he could be for an NHL grinder role.
:dunno:
As for Leblanc... he just needs to stick it out. Lots of players go through dark times. I remember Max saying he'd rather be in the minors and play... too soon to write this guy off yet. Hopefully he pans out.
Yeah, he was looking good last year, I thought. It's way too soon. He'll find a way out of it, probably. Hopefully. We've got time.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

IF anything, he was not fast to begin with, then he became even slower, and then it was Nu-NHL.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
heard the same here. losing your stride can be devastating
belittling an injury like that reflects on ignorance and lack of knowledge

if he's hurt that bad he shouldn't be playing.what is somebody holding a gun to his head?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

i think he did project more to a solid top-6 center prior to the injury... it was all projection, but in his season post draft he was near the top of the WHL in scoring prior to suffering that devestating injury. He had been the solid/character/defensively aware C going into the draft, but with flashes of offensive talent (which is what pushed him to a first round pick... i don' tthink he was much of a reach).

he followed up that draft with a great summer of training and a fantastic start to the year... then the injury.

a year later, he was Canada's #1 C on a WJC gold medal team, but he clearly lacked that extra gear to be considered a clear-cut top-6 offensive player. Did the achilles injury create that gap or was he never going to be a good enough skater to translate solid hockey sense & impeccalbe work ethic to top-6 NHL role??? who knows.

i think his Junior and AHL success point to a player that has the hockey sense to be a solid top-6 player, where he seems to fall short at the NHL level is in the physical department, and with his work ethic/attitude, + his pre-injury level of play, you'd think he be able to make up for that gap by now...

the injury as a limiting factor makes sense in that context, and it is very clear in other sports that a major achilles injury can be devastating to an individuals lower body explosive ability (in NFL & track & field, achilles injuries pretty much always either end careers, or dramatically reduce the ability level of the athlete).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
if he's hurt that bad he shouldn't be playing.what is somebody holding a gun to his head?

IF it's the injury (I'm going with that) then YES he really should take some time off...IF that's what it is. Really wondering what is going on with Leblanc? but still believing in LL BIG TIME.
I still think he can be that 3rd line center version of Patrice Bergeron... we'll need him especially for top 9 center depth, and/or...top 9 winger depth.

p.s.: I'm a Leblanc fan...let's be patient...we don't really know what's going on...injury or something else? what we're seeing right now is DEFINITELY not the REAL Louis Leblanc...imo.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Well if they want the kid to feel like ****.They did a good job,now if they can manage to pull their heads out of their as*es and wipe their eyes,maybe they could get him a boxing coach and teach him to be a goon.If they use these same methods doing that maybe he will turn on them and kick their Royal pain in the *****.Hemherroids like these clowns couldn't run a toilet let alone a minor AHL team,just keep running the Habs into the ground for another couple of years and the NHL will put another Quebec franchise in place and the Canadiens might have to find a new city like Phoenix.It makes me sick to see and hear the S*** these idiots allow around their players.:shakehead:(

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Keep playing Tenute, Chaput and Fortier. Lefebvre you're a genius.

There's absolutely no reason to not give Avtsin top 6 time in the AHL now. The team is dead in the water. See what we have before he's gone.

The Gal Pals

Breaking Hab
Oct 28, 2006
Who still remember Eric Chouinard ?

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...erpresse_B13b_le-canadien_427188_section_POS3

Is there anyone still following Bulldogs and can tell us how Leblanc is doing now ?

Completely different players. Just because they're both Quebeckers doesn't mean they're comparable. Chouinard had motivation issues and never really had the work ethic to make it to the NHL. During his draft yr, ppl in the Remparts organization (not Chouinard's father obviously who was coaching the Remparts at the time) even suggested the Habs should draft Gagné over Chouinard but the Habs scouts preferred size and point totals over work ethic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad