Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-2!

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Overcame 10 penalties in 2 games, this is good practice for the bias ahead. The team didn't cave like the Sheldon days.

"Back-up" goalie had a great game last night, deserved a better outcome.

"Third-string" goalie had a great game tonight.

Goalie situation is so much better than last year.

Go Leafs Go!!! :towel::towel::towel:
Playing with an actual defensive system and purpose also helps.

Reactions: Action Jackson

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'll take the win - all thanks to our fourth line and Hildeby's solid first game.

Matthews, Marner, and Willy need to figure it out soon.

PP still sucks, but PK looked good. Need to take less penalties though.
The figure 8 club isn’t worried they are onside with the fans who deem playoffs are the only thing that matters. Sort of like preseason I guess.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010
matthews played the best most complete hockey hes ever played when he was with domi last year. marner and matthews always try to get too cute(esp marner)

Matthews playing very responsibly so far, his defensive efforts even better than offensive. Berube is rubbing off on them (these 2 games.. we'll see)

Reactions: Confucius

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
For a "defensive defencemen", Tanev is very poised with the puck and makes tons of smart little outlet passes.

Sure the contract isn't great but this guy was a impact acquisition.

Really liked his game

Actually quite impressed with the team defense as a whole to start the season. Typically you see more barn burners and stuff like that. But the Leafs have done well to play a quiet poised game and stay in control. The third periods in these two games have been nice.

I wonder if Berube is working on that part of the ice right now as a focus. Seems like the core guys are trying to listen to Berube about the o-zone but are also kind of lost at the same time.

Anyway back to back on the road to start the season .. more to like the complain about IMO

Reactions: Rocker13 and weems

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Good game by the boys. Congrats to Hildeby on his first win. Our guns aren’t firing, but you know they will get going soon. The secondary scoring is key for this team.

Shout out to Holberg, I thought he was solid this game. Winning lots of battles, solid on the pk.. he seems much stronger this year. Hopefully he can become that solid 3c we need.

Long overdue breakup for that top PP unit IMO. I wonder if it’s worth swapping Nylander and Robertson. Nylander and JT just don’t jive. Never have, IMO.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
matthews played the best most complete hockey hes ever played when he was with domi last year. marner and matthews always try to get too cute(esp marner)

Yeah I really hope Berube isn't stubborn like the past two coaches and will try something new sooner.

It's only two games into the season so I can understand a few more games with these lines but if things dont start clicking for the top 6 I hope they try something new.

Honestly I think Marner would be better away from Matthews. I think part of the reason he's so pass-first is because he's so used to passing to Matthews. I could see him become more confident with his shot if he plays a season without him.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think with how Berube likes to play 4 lines and doesn't really play forwards over 20 minutes a game it's probably best to split the big 3 onto their own lines. Swap Domi and Marner and maybe Robertson and Nylander and run this:

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Patches-Holmberg-Nylander

Use that as the top 9. You could possibly even swap Patches and Robertson tbh. Patches might be a better fit with Tavares and then the 3rd line is a faster line.

Reactions: Kurtz

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I like the way Berube has the team playing and distributes ice time. That style of play should translate well in the playoffs.

The big three are struggling right now to find their rhythm but they will figure it out and start contributing soon enough.

I think the coaching staff also needs to consider reconfiguring the power play units.

Hildeby had an excellent debut. The goaltending has been a huge positive so far.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Yeah I really hope Berube isn't stubborn like the past two coaches and will try something new sooner.

It's only two games into the season so I can understand a few more games with these lines but if things dont start clicking for the top 6 I hope they try something new.

Honestly I think Marner would be better away from Matthews. I think part of the reason he's so pass-first is because he's so used to passing to Matthews. I could see him become more confident with his shot if he plays a season without him.
tbh i just like the way matthews plays when he cant rely on marner on that line, he seems to take charge alot more and tends to play more physical too.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I hope you're right.

The difference is clear with 34 and 16 getting mins on the PK

I notice Matthews has been "pesty" these first 2 games as well

Marner ... more contact as well tonight. he's been very aggressive as the guy on the top of the umbrella. Looks like berube is using marner's speed to cause problems
First time I’ve seen Marner in a board battle on the PK. Helping the D hold the puck killed a lot of Jersey’s minutes. Usually, he’s just standing in the open, waiting for a loose puck. No more free meals, not with Berube. I bet Keefe was shocked and disappointed.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I think with how Berube likes to play 4 lines and doesn't really play forwards over 20 minutes a game it's probably best to split the big 3 onto their own lines. Swap Domi and Marner and maybe Robertson and Nylander and run this:

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Tavares-Marner
Patches-Holmberg-Nylander

Use that as the top 9. You could possibly even swap Patches and Robertson tbh. Patches might be a better fit with Tavares and then the 3rd line is a faster line.
i personally think JT needs to be on the 3rd line with mcmann and maybe patches

HomelessPepper

Jul 1, 2019
For a "defensive defencemen", Tanev is very poised with the puck and makes tons of smart little outlet passes.

Sure the contract isn't great but this guy was a impact acquisition.
This is what I've been adamant we've been missing for years: puck moving dmen.

It's also why I'm not stoked on keeping McCabe. He's very good at the various defensive responsibilities, but SUCKS at moving the puck. This is why Tanev is elite, and a guy like McCabe isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad