Around The League Thread | Let the Games Begin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sabers are awful. Thompson had one sick year and he looks so meh now
He signed in 2022. So last year of old deal was 22-23. New deal began last season.

He signed after his 68 point year then got 94 the next and like 57 last season.

So important year to see what he will be for Buffalo. $7.1 mill if he is a 70 point guy is about fair. That 94 year might be a career year that he will never hit again.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Watched the Pens @ Red Wings game and I remember having better defensive structure in my pillow fort as a kid than the Wings had in this game. Debut for Joel Blomqvist in Pens net and first career W for the kid!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I know there was "generational" talk with Bedard, but if his career turns out to be "Patrick Kane", I don't think Hawks fan would be really sad about that (3 Cups, Art Ross, Hart, Conn Smythe, Lindsay, Calder).
He will IMO easily be "better" than Kane as individual players when we view him in 10 years time.

Reactions: Bubbles

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bedard is an exceptional status player who had better PPG than Mcdavid in junior and international play on worse teams. And he was being compared to Crosby and McDavid. Because he's at that level.
He was at their level in the juniors sure and I'm a huge Bedard guy but there is zero shame in being a step down from Crosby/McDavid and I think Bedard will break out this year but he is still behind those 2 on a career arc and probably will never make up the difference.

That being said he is still going to have an excellent career and some people are still sleeping on him as he will end up significantly better than Kane IMO.

Reactions: Bubbles

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was at their level in the juniors sure and I'm a huge Bedard guy but there is zero shame in being a step down from Crosby/McDavid and I think Bedard will break out this year but he is still behind those 2 on a career arc and probably will never make up the difference.

That being said he is still going to have an excellent career and some people are still sleeping on him as he will end up significantly better than Kane IMO.
Kane is nothing to sneeze at. Currently the best American born player to have played. Though Matthews has the potential to catch and pass him if he can ever get Toronto deep into the PO.

Kid is a goal scorer. Something to be said about being able to pick a corner on a G.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kane is nothing to sneeze at. Currently the best American born player to have played. Though Matthews has the potential to catch and pass him if he can ever get Toronto deep into the PO.

Kid is a goal scorer. Something to be said about being able to pick a corner on a G.
My view is that Kane is an excellent offensive player but that Bedard will be a better one and a better overall player.

Just watch him this year he is breaking out.

Reactions: Blue and Green

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Healthy scratching Jiricek for Jack Johnson is so embarrassingly stupid

What a joke organization
Just fold the team
I'd look at it as they dressed Christianson ahead of Jiricek. I mean, they were not going to pair Jiricek with another Dman with just 44 NHL games under his belt.

Werenski played 26 minutes, then Severson at 21. That's your top pairing and Werenski plays PP.

Then there is Provorov and Gudbranson.

CBJ carrying 8 dmen for some reason. Trying to manage waivers to keep Harris/Christianson.

CBJ needs to have a guy whom they trust to play with Jiricek. Should have gone out and acquired someone to do that. Provorov won't be there past the TDL either. And Cbj fans wanted them to have a break from meeting the cap floor. Ice a roster to develop your players.

Jack Johnson won't cut it either. And I don't think they'd pair 25 year old Christianson with him.
That leaves Harris unless they upgrade.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The funny Guenther thing is that so many fans needed that threshold for it to be one of fhe worst deals of all time and not the fact that they paid to acquire a top 3 bad liability contract in the NHL

People focus way too much on the result and not the process

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The funny Guenther thing is that so many fans needed that threshold for it to be one of fhe worst deals of all time and not the fact that they paid to acquire a top 3 bad liability contract in the NHL

The moment FA decided to bring that crew back after that disaster in 20/21 it was inevitable that JB was going to make a stupid short term move to try save his job.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

It's truly a deal that has and should go down in infamy as one of the worst of all time in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad