Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Woll was great tonight, but let’s pump the brakes a little. The hot takes and overreactions after each game is intoxicating

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
With Samsonov in net I think we lose this game tonight.

Great game from Woll for sure. For now, it should be his net to lose IMHO.

Three of the core 4 had great games. As off this game, one seems to be overpaid, and overrated. That player needs to bring much more to the table given his high priced salary. He needs to be much better 5on5 and not just on the PK.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
jb.gif

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Just finished the 2nd period.
*I like the look of the new PP.
*Matthews deserves credit for the way he plays D. He can strip pucks like nobody's business in the O zone, and he supports our D so well in our own zone.
*Morgan is pushing play the way he did in the playoffs.
*Brodie's best game this year.
*Klingberg has had an effective game if only by keeping the 'wtf' moments to a minimum.
*TL is making a case to be a permanent top 4 option.
*At the beginning of the season I couldn't imagine a better start to the campaign for JT and WN. JT is looking stronger on the puck and faster, while Willy is just doing stupid stuff in a good way...my goodness he's a talented player.
*Gregor has a sneaky good shot.
*Getting Bert and Domi on track will only make this team better.

While still sloppy at times, and really Ovi with 14 shots can't be a thing, I'm finding this team is beginning to push play more quickly from their own zone, which I like. As the forward group begins to adjust to their responsibilities in the D zone, the puck skills of Rielly, TL and JK are sending the puck up and out more quickly than I remember from last year. We've had a large turnover of players and things take time to gel. This team could be interesting in a month's time when there is a more defined approach by all.

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Honestly I’m sure Sam comes back but Woll is kinda just better… Also everyone complaining about our bad start(I know we aren’t playing amazing) look at the oilers. If they are Stanley cup contenders I don’t know

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Woll was great tonight, but let’s pump the brakes a little. The hot takes and overreactions after each game is intoxicating
well it feels good to have a goalie to win a game for us usually it's the other team like Saturday nights game when 50 plus shots were fired at the wilds goalie and he stopped all but 4 shots

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Gotta be a nice feeling for rookie Woll to stop 13 Ovie shots in one game and secure a win on 37-17. Keep on keeping on goal keeper. Love to see it.

Reactions: Kurtz

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Kinda got caved in 5-on-5... that has not been irregular so far this season.
PP is killer. PK is good too. But Woll won that game no doubt.

Has Mitch switched sticks or changed his curve? I've never seen him struggle to control the puck like he has so far this season. Missed passes galore, and a lot of the ones he gets he fumbles with... odd.

If anyone ever wonders why we struggle sometimes, just have to look at him. He drives so much of this offence it is almost sickening lol

Also, what exactly is Bertuzzi? He seems to do a whole lot of nothing. Assume there is more there?

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Woll outstanding.

Marner continues to do nothing. You have to wonder what this guys’ off season training regime is. He just never seems ready to go early each season.
Yep.

Matthews is a 2 way beast and whatever slowed him down last season seems to have healed.

Nylander grew up. Perimeter player to crash the net guy. He realized hes stronger and quicker than 90% of guys.

Tavares seems to have shed like 10 pounds and worked on footwork, edges etc. Seems to have an extra step this season.

Marner - Still gets pushed off the puck. Still bobbles it. Same mickey mouse plays.

Trade him for a legit 1D and a hard nosed 3c or winger.
And we will be MUCH better

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yep.

Matthews is a 2 way beast and whatever slowed him down last season seems to have healed.

Nylander grew up. Perimeter player to crash the net guy. He realized hes stronger and quicker than 90% of guys.

Tavares seems to have shed like 10 pounds and worked on footwork, edges etc. Seems to have an extra step this season.

Marner - Still gets pushed off the puck. Still bobbles it. Same mickey mouse plays.

Trade him for a legit 1D and a hard nosed 3c or winger.
And we will be MUCH better

"Marner is so bad"

"Trade him for a really good player"

this never makes sense to me

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Thought we played okay today, good enough to win against a bad team, but we haven’t put together a really good game yet. Team still seems discombobulated, nothing is smooth for them, passing/ play making / defending.

Woll was obviously great tonight,

Lilly / Knies stepping up and getting better every game

34/91/88 played well for us

44 played well

Like I said earlier, kinda applies for Marner right now, passing/play making seems off, not handling the puck clean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad