Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Woll to 3 year extension on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
To those who kept saying once JT is off his 11mil cap, Leafs will have a money to get new players….but as I said before that 11mil will end up going to Woll, Knies and Holmberg new deal.
Woll’s new deal will cost 2.5-3mil less from the bye bye JT fun.
If JT is resign at 4mil, then that’s only 4mil remaining from his 11mil cap hit. Pretty sure 3mil of that will be toward Knies new deal. The remaining 1mil will be toward Holmberg’s new deal.
Yup just like the cap increase for next year will go to Nylander and Matthews new deals

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So Tre lises out on Markstrom so decides now he’ll go with Woll as his main goalie? What’s with yhis team this teeks of Shanahan wantingbto extend Dubas and a press conference later he’s moving in a different direction. MLSE is bipolar, they don’t have a plan, and uf they do the plan us to not have a plan……..
Or maybe NJ was always the only team in for Marky, and just leaking out that Leafs was in it to make it looked like they won a trade or something

Yup just like the cap increase for next year will go to Nylander and Matthews new deals
Agree but there is a slight difference. In that the cap increase are for all teams while JT or any players cap hit coming off the books only create cap space for that specific team.

Reactions: Racer88

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'd rather Nylander than Marner plus Dubas and Shanahan created the culture. By all accounts they tried to sign him to something in the 9-10 range last summer and he wouldn't budge and bet on himself. They also shopped him and didn't find a worthwhile package. :dunno: Treliving paying for the sins of his predecessor.
not sure I'd sign him to what he got after he took his foot off the gas post resigning, 9-10 is exactly where a generous offer should have been imo.......

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'd rather Nylander than Marner plus Dubas and Shanahan created the culture. By all accounts they tried to sign him to something in the 9-10 range last summer and he wouldn't budge and bet on himself. They also shopped him and didn't find a worthwhile package. :dunno: Treliving paying for the sins of his predecessor.
Individually nothing cripling but as a whole, it is cap hell. After 34 and 88 took all the rise in can and more, Tre has less money to fill out the roster. Sigh.

You are not wrong about Tre paying for Dubas' sins. I'm guessing Willie waited for Matty to sign and then said I'm not taking a haircut when the other 2 never have. Starting out like a house on fire made the Leafs poop their pants into submission less than half the season in.

Now you got Marner looking for his overpay on his and Nylander's overpays. Tre needs to make a stand.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Individually nothing cripling but as a whole, it is cap hell. After 34 and 88 took all the rise in can and more, Tre has less money to fill out the roster. Sigh.

You are not wrong about Tre paying for Dubas' sins. I'm guessing Willie waited for Matty to sign and then said I'm not taking a haircut when the other 2 never have. Starting out like a house on fire made the Leafs poop their pants into submission less than half the season in.

Now you got Marner looking for his overpay on his and Nylander's overpays. Tre needs to make a stand.
all these over payments will add up to a player or two, but apparently the Leafs can't help themselves............

Reactions: ToneDog

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Didn’t Filip Gustavsson sign a similar deal last summer, also with less than a season in the nhl under his belt?

This doesn’t seem unreasonable at all. He’s our #1, and I think we all feel more comfortable giving this to Woll over Sammy (I think we paid him 3.5m last year).

Just so people know, this kicks in next year. If Woll plays like he is capable, and is healthy next year, the price is well north of $3.5m. Leafs are betting on him, and I think it’s a good bet.

Last edited:

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Well they are definitely holding true to what they said at the press conference about Woll. They believe in him. Now let’s see if they can fix his off ice work to help with injuries. If he can stay healthy this is a fantastic deal. Big if.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Based on his ability, this could be a very shrewd move. However, as mentioned, his durability has been a major concern in the early stages of his career.

Reactions: ToneDog and Buds17

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Whatever it’s fine. I see little risk in this. We’re not going to stumble upon a better goalie unless we give up some pretty big assets. Worst case he goes on LTiR, best case he figures out how to stay healthy and provides stability in net for the price of a 1B goalie.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Why should Brossoit or Stolarz accept less as UFAs than Woll is getting for 40 games of NHL experience
The GP totals for Stolarz and Brossoit don't look that impressive in comparison when one considers that they are respectively four and five years older than Woll. Woll is still young enough to anticipate a progression into becoming a full-time starter and I'm not sure that I'd expect the same from the other two goalies.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I don't get this, he was gonna be a RFA next summer. We know the guy can play, but we also dont know if he can stay healthy.

If were only signing a guy whos mostly been a back up like Brossoit/Stolarz, then any injury would be brutal. Hildeby is a wild card of course, but still. I was expecting to go after Binnington tbh.

Please stay healthy Joseph

Reactions: trellaine201

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
auston-matthews-toronto-maple-leafs.gif

drop-the-mic-leave.gif

wave-hi.gif

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Currently this signing was the best option moving forward. It seems the Leafs tried to swing a deal for Markstrom, but it didn't work. They don't have enough assets to acquire a starter. They will definitely pick up an UFA goalie, for a tandem, Splitting games until one of them solidifies the position. That being the case, the best solution is to build around the goalies by improving the defense, which needs to happen to implement Berube's system.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
When I heard this I thought they see him as their 1A and don’t want to risk him walking after next season but then I checked and he’ll still be an RFA with Arb rights so what’s their concern, an offer sheet ? I guess we’ll have to wait for Treliving’s explanation on this. Seem premature.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Is there actual confirmation, other than Weekes speculation? Was an official Leafs release tweeted out?

Thread title is confusing.

Reactions: Moonman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad