Confirmed with Link: Leafs to sign Woll to 3 year extension on July 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is there actual confirmation, other than Weekes speculation? Was an official Leafs release tweeted out?

Thread title is confusing.

Leafs aren't going to tweet anything out until July 1st as it can't be made official until then. As far as I'm aware no other insiders have said anything

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
would have liked to have bridged him in a "show me" strategy. 3.5 to 4 million seems too early too soon unless they really think Woll is THE guy

Reactions: Burnie97

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
To me Treliving did very well locking up Benoit and McMann to $1.35/year contracts.

Woll to me seems to be at a similar stage in his NHL journey.
Not sure why the Leafs have to pay $3.5ish for Woll, and $1.35 for the other two???

Because Woll wouldn't agree to less? Pretty simple really.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think that $3.5 million x 3 is an obvious overpayment based on experience and results to this point, but I think that in order to win a Stanley Cup you have to have not only ELCs that are producing well above their pay grade, but also a couple contracts that you gamble AND WIN on.

I think Toronto's plan is to spend about $6.5 million on goalies, with 3 year deals to the likes of Woll and Brossoit. Treliving likely hopes that if he improves the d-core in front of them, they can develop into an Aiden Hill / Logan Thompson type tandem. With the cap going up to $88 million and projected to jump to $92 million the following season and $95 million after that, the goaltending would account for the following cap percentage:

2024: 4.28% of the cap
2025: 7.06% of the cap
2026: 6.84% of the cap

That is an extremely reasonable price to be pay for your goaltending tandem if it hits like you think it might. There is obvious projection there, but I don't think you can truly compete for a Cup without having a couple of these go your way.

Reactions: 4thline

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Leafs aren't going to tweet anything out until July 1st as it can't be made official until then. As far as I'm aware no other insiders have said anything
I hope its not true, at least for that money suggested.

I was thinking 2.5 max for a couple years.

Seems a bit much to me.

I think he might turn into a good one but he's really injury prone so far.

I'd really like a goalie who could play 50 or 60 games minimum.
That is way more reasonable. No way they pay him $4M at this stage, mind you it is the Leafs,

Reactions: Burnie97

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think this means they aren’t trading for any other starter. Will sign someone to be in a split committee with Woll. If he stays healthy could be a steal. Also could end up being a a good back up. With the cap hopefully continuing to go up this won’t be bad.
Or someone dirt cheap who will tandem with him with an outside chance of taking the job, like if Askarov got here or something.
I’m fine with this deal and aav. When all is said and done, that 4 mil will be an average to below average salary against the cap, and the second time this young man has signed team favourable deals.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
We traded a first for Freddy, an untested starter, and paid him 5 x 5. I'll take this Woll deal over that any day.

As for Woll's health, the Leafs know him better than anyone. They wouldn't sign him if he had something chronic. And if he gets injured, your depth has to come through like with any other injury.

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
We traded a first for Freddy, an untested starter, and paid him 5 x 5. I'll take this Woll deal over that any day.

As for Woll's health, the Leafs know him better than anyone. They wouldn't sign him if he had something chronic. And if he gets injured, your depth has to come through like with any other injury.

🤔

Woll has 36 games, 7 playoff games.
Andersen had 82 games, 28 playoff games before the Leafs.

Andersen wasn't unproven... He was a good starter and then in a tandem in Anaheim. He was their starting goalie when they went on a run to the 3rd round. He actually won the Jennings Trophy before the trade. The Ducks traded him because unlike the Leafs they actually manage their assets and are aware that there's a salary cap. He's the last good goalie the Leafs have had.

Reactions: LeafEgo and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Breaking news, Woll injured after celebrating his new contract
It’s funny because it’s quite possible………

So it’s bad, but not that bad considering other bad moves? Got it……..

Sooo, pretty much where Woll projects be after this season, when the extension will come into effect?

Andersen's 5x5 translates to 6.3 under a 92 million cap.
Won’t get anywhere close to the playoff games………

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
At 4 million for 25 games he will be higher paid per game than Mathews. Now let's Marner signed for 16 million with full NMC. Wee! Season over. This franchise is a very bad joke.

Reactions: Al14 and ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
At 4 million for 25 games he will be higher paid per game than Mathews. Now let's Marner signed for 16 million with full NMC. Wee! Season over. This franchise is a very bad joke.
Give them a loaded gun and they will shoot themselves. They just cannot help themselves.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Woll outcomes for this season

Best- he starts ~50 games, cements himself as a solid 1A, has a decent 2-3 round playoff run
Contract outcome- Either arbitration at 3.5-4m followed by UFA, or committing 5.5-6.5 million and term

Middle- more of the same- he starts ~30 games, more injury issues, hard to value at more than a 1B
Contract outcome - 1-2 years at 2.5-3.5m

Worst- he flames out completely, these last two years were a flash in the pan, he looks like a 3G tweener type
Contract outcome 1x1

Clearly the organization believes in him, and is playing to win.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Because Woll wouldn't agree to less? Pretty simple really.
Then let him play it out.....and stay healthy. Something that has never happened for Woll.
The risk for Woll is if he is hurt as he is every year he wont get a multi year deal anywhere.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

You have way more faith than I do.

Reactions: rumman and ToneDog

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
After sleeping on the rumour, I feel better about putting a bet on Woll and hoping he is healthy than I would if we had just dealt our first and, say, Liljegren, for Markstrom.

But i don't feel great yet.

Reactions: Racer88

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Sooo, pretty much where Woll projects be after this season, when the extension will come into effect?

Andersen's 5x5 translates to 6.3 under a 92 million cap.

No, he doesn’t prioject to be there. He can't stay healthy. That's why he's not there already. And why did you ignore the rest of the post? The part where Andersen was among the best goalies in the league.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I think this means they aren’t trading for any other starter. Will sign someone to be in a split committee with Woll. If he stays healthy could be a steal. Also could end up being a a good back up. With the cap hopefully continuing to go up this won’t be bad.
well, we could trade for Soros, and let him walk after one year if Woll works out and stays healthy.

It’s a good hedge that he turns into something resembling the star goalie he looks like. Worst comes, a goalie with that much potential on an affordable deal could still be a moveable piece. I would say $3.5 million feels a lot more comfortable than $4 million. There’s definitely a psychological barrier there.
bingo, little downside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad