Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Benoit surprises me quite often. I don't expect to notice or like his game as much as I do. He's not just standing there being big, like Hal Gill used to do. He's smart and simple, and doesn't get burnt by speedy forwards too often like you'd think we would. It's almost confusing how steady he is most games.

His mobility is pretty decent for a tall defensive defencemen.
Sure he will sometimes get beat to the outside or be caught flat footed but generally his skating/speed is not an issue and he actually can show off some wheels moving forward up the ice sometimes.

Reactions: banks

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The undeniable truth that everyone's starting to accept is that this is a good hockey team.

The uncomfortable truth that no one wants to accept is that this was a good hockey team in previous years, too. It's just that good hockey teams loose early in the playoffs all the time. They didn't need a complete overhaul or to remove some fictitious cancer or attitude from the room. Small coaching adjustments, stable goaltending, and some improved blueline personnel might just be the difference.
It took them far too long to make these adjustments though. Keefe was likely kept 2-3 years too long. In the summer of '22, there was a whole whack of coaches available (Cassidy, DeBoer, Montgomery, Trotz etc.) but Dubas stuck with his boy, when he arguably should've been fired in 2021 after the Habs choke job. We wasted valuable years of the core's prime with an inexperienced GM and inexperienced coach cutting their teeth on the job when we just needed some legitimate proven guys to steer the ship. Now we're at a point where JT's past his prime and at the end of his contract and Marner is also up at the end of the year, and other pieces like Rielly are also likely past their best years.

This franchise's timing has been horrendous.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
It took them far too long to make these adjustments though. Keefe was likely kept 2-3 years too long. In the summer of '22, there was a whole whack of coaches available (Cassidy, DeBoer, Montgomery, Trotz etc.) but Dubas stuck with his boy, when he arguably should've been fired in 2021 after the Habs choke job. We wasted valuable years of the core's prime with an inexperienced GM and inexperienced coach cutting their teeth on the job when we just needed some legitimate proven guys to steer the ship. Now we're at a point where JT's past his prime and at the end of his contract and Marner is also up at the end of the year, and other pieces like Rielly are also likely past their best years.

This franchise's timing has been horrendous.
I don't entirely disagree but we also have younger guys who are contributing now alongside a more mature core. and we have Berube instead of one of those coaches. it agrees with me so far.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The team is playing nothing like they have in the past.
:laugh:
Slightly tweaking some minor things isn't really the seismic shift some are pretending. Biggest change so far has been really strong goaltending.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
loved the broadcast
Yeah thought it was fine but I don't really have an issue with any of the broadcasts.

My only issue with Prime is I like to flip to another channel during commercials or intermission to catch something else and that isn't as easy as it is watching on cable. Not that big a deal though, just something I noticed.

Reactions: egd27

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Woll is gonna have a hard time getting his spot back from Stolarz.

Stolarz has done a good enough job so far he deserves to remain starter. OEL and Tanev have been alright too. For the most part the offseason additions haven't been horrible I guess.

Which is about all you can expect from depth additions like these.

Knies is my new favourite Leafs player. Not only has his play improved this year he's also not a spineless wimp. Don't see him crying in the penalty box.

Hard to believe Sundin's only fifty three.

A much older Messier looked younger and in better shape. I'm fatter and balder than both. That's the difference between playing the game and sitting on your ass watching from home.

Same for Woll if he doesn't come back soon.
Considering you were predicting the team to be a wild-card/barely make the playoffs, you're coming along a little ways! Still doesn't make your previous takes any less dumb, but hey baby steps.

Reactions: Zacman

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
Are you trying to tell me they have been horrible?

Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular. Tanev is treading water being supported by his teammates and his on-ice rel to teammates stats supports that. They've all lived up to their paycheque and are off to a good start and I've already said that.

Hyperbole is a two way street, so if you want to pump their tires a little during this hot streak go right ahead, but let's not pretend that at their age any of these guys are having anything more than a bit of a resurgence in their game.
I'm trying to tell you that's a horrible take. Furthermore, I'm trying to tell you, you seem miserable.

If the Leafs don't bring you joy, in their best moments, what's the point?

Or as other users have pointed out, you're just trolling.

Strange either way.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I'm trying to tell you that's a horrible take. Furthermore, I'm trying to tell you, you seem miserable.

If the Leafs don't bring you joy, in their best moments, what's the point?

Or as other users have pointed out, you're just trolling.

Strange either way.
I would ignore that account, I'm fairly certain it's a strange parody account or an obsessed Habs or Sens fan who disguise themselves as a Leafs fan satirically.

Reactions: budzz and Fogelhund

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Good and fun win, and it's been pretty hilarious to see people pretend like things we've always done are so different and better now. :laugh:
Stolarz has been great. He's going to cool off, and I'm a bit worried about the issues he's masking, but enjoying it for now. Hope Woll is good to go tonight.
Holmberg was robbed. That EN goal being called off was ridiculous, as was the two minute 5 on 3.
This post sounds like a salty ex-girlfriend keep moaning about your new relationship.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Benoit 3rd in D ice time again.

It's almost like when games are out of reach they play the lesser players more, especially with a back to back.

Tanev was 5th in ice time, does this mean he is thought of as the 5th best D?

Still want Reaves over McMann?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Big statement win IMO, although it's early, if they lose the game they to tied for 20th in the league and showcase the problems they've had all along. But for them to crush Tampa who is still a great team and to do so with contributions from everyone is a great sign. Hopefully they can keep it up, as a whole I'd give this team an 8/10 in terms of their start this year, even in the games they lost it was mostly to a hot goalie/legit vezina goalie.

Hopefully they can keep it going.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I find this talk, and in some circles, obsession with labelling everything amusing.

""

Why do we have to label Stolarz the #1 goaltender? He's been excellent... absolutely. If Woll comes back, and he's his equal... who cares who is the #1.... I mean, that would be great if they both were healthy, and performed great...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's almost like when games are out of reach they play the lesser players more, especially with a back to back.

Tanev was 5th in ice time, does this mean he is thought of as the 5th best D?

Still want Reaves over McMann?
Well Matthews and Marner's TOI never really changed from the other games played this season, so how does it work there?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well Matthews and Marner's TOI never really changed from the other games played this season, so how does it work there?

I don't know... Tanev's dropped under Benoit's, is Benoit now the 3rd best D on the team and Tanev is 5th?

I'm saying don't read much into TOI when the game is out of reach.

Also, there were a lot of penalties, Rielly actually had the most EV TOI, but was 4th overall.

Robertson had the most EV TOI for forwards by the way.

I didn't know it was this crazy (this is more just interesting)... Matthews and Marner spent over 10 minutes each on special teams.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Considering you were predicting the team to be a wild-card/barely make the playoffs, you're coming along a little ways! Still doesn't make your previous takes any less dumb, but hey baby steps.

Doesn't mean it won't still happen.

Your post history is littered with brilliant takes of your own champ.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I still think they’re a long way from Cup contention so I just want to see them play hard and see where they fall.
I’d worry about Timmins’ and Mogan’s defensive liabilities before worry about Benny, he’s been rock solid so far, he can’t control the refs calling bad penalties………

Good game overall but Rielly is still out there not looking like a top pairing d-man.
Because he isn’t a good top pairing D man…….

We have a game tonight right? But no game day thread... someone get on this...
Delegation is the key to effective leadership……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
His mobility is pretty decent for a tall defensive defencemen.
Sure he will sometimes get beat to the outside or be caught flat footed but generally his skating/speed is not an issue and he actually can show off some wheels moving forward up the ice sometimes.
At his salary he’s a steal, no one should complain sbout Benny’s game, I know the coach isn’t…….

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
Are you trying to tell me they have been horrible?

Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular. Tanev is treading water being supported by his teammates and his on-ice rel to teammates stats supports that. They've all lived up to their paycheque and are off to a good start and I've already said that.

Hyperbole is a two way street, so if you want to pump their tires a little during this hot streak go right ahead, but let's not pretend that at their age any of these guys are having anything more than a bit of a resurgence in their game.
Wow what a horrible take. "Stolarz and OEL are doing well if unspectacular."?? I'm not going to go the other way and say they have been spectacular, but anyone that's ever watched hockey will tell you Stolarz has been VERY good, and OEL has also been very good. "Tanev is treading water"?? Wow. Guy's doing exactly what he was brought here for... blocking shots, solid, +4... what more could you want? We are 4-2 and the 2 we lost we could have won just as easily.

Reactions: ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I find this talk, and in some circles, obsession with labelling everything amusing.

""

Why do we have to label Stolarz the #1 goaltender? He's been excellent... absolutely. If Woll comes back, and he's his equal... who cares who is the #1.... I mean, that would be great if they both were healthy, and performed great...

Stolarz makes me feel a whole lot better about the goaltending than Mr. Glass does, that’s for damn sure…….

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Slightly tweaking some minor things isn't really the seismic shift some are pretending. Biggest change so far has been really strong goaltending.
'Slight' tweaks is definitely an understatement. Changing the way they break out and transition with the puck into the offensive zone or how they structure themselves defensively seem meaningful to me.

Reactions: weems

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

I agree with you about the goaltending being a key change from the past, particularly last year, but there has been a seismic change in the philosophy of management. A north-south game, a bigger more experienced defence, and generally a shift in philosophy when it comes to puck pursuit and possession. Acquiring the right players has meant a huge change in how the team plays the game, e.g. Tanev, OEL, Lorentz, Domi, Benoit...players with size and/or grit who don't mind mixing it up and defending their players. Gone are the soft players who played the game differently like Malgin, Sandin, Johnsson, Kapanen, Engvall, Petan, etc. We've even changed our philosophy in goaltenders...more size, and less mental fragility and talent eg. Hutchinson, Campbell, Samsonov, Mraszek, etc. Let's face it, Dubas had a certain philosophy as to how to build a team which has proven unsuccessful in the playoffs. I agree that the change from Dubas/Keefe should have happened 3 years ago.

Reactions: weems and 1specter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad