Post-Game Talk: Leafs Stomp Tampa Bay 5-2 (Really 6-2)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The 2 minute 5 on 3 probably skews some of these numbers I would imagine. We controlled the game at 5v5 pretty much all night. We did take to many penalties along with the refs being...well NHL refs. I think the best sign was how they came out and just grinded the life out of Tampa in the 3rd though.

Those were actually based on even strength. We were behind in 5v5 and all situations.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Maybe minten can come in and push Johnny t to the wing I think then wed be ready to go that is if minten improved and can sticc with the big club at 3c yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
TBL was actually favored in xGF and high danger chances. While we played well, the play of the two goalies made us look better than we were.

Sorry for the poor format, but Tampa is on the left and Toronto on the right.

Corsi
4245.2%
54.8%
Fenwick
2741.5%
58.5%
Shots
2048.8%
51.2%
Scoring Chances
2348.9%
51.1%
High Danger Chances
1052.6%
47.4%
Expected Goals
2.2751.6%
48.4%
Thanks. That's pretty even. The poor performance by Vasi really changed the game.

Strangle

Leafs Smol PP
May 4, 2009
The difference was Stolarz... The game was closer than the score showed.

I thought they played well overall but it was a Vasi stinker (he has had a lot in recent years) and Stolarz playing great.

I don't want to take away from the team because I thought for the most part they played well, but I don't think it was a 5-2 game, just like against NYR it wasn't a 4-1 game.

I think vasi is the only goalie in the league who plays worse against the leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They haven't had a truly bad game yet, even against the NYR when I said I hated the way they were playing they weren't bad, I was just frustrated because Shestrkin was on.

Brube has them working hard every night.

Now tomorrow will be a test.

It shouldn't be, they should curb stomp Columbus.

But that's why it is because they SHOULD curb stomp Columbus.

But this is the kind of game they would lose under Keefe all the time.

Let's see if this truly is a different team, it sure looks like it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They haven't had a truly bad game yet, even against the NYR when I said I hated the way they were playing they weren't bad, I was just frustrated because Shestrkin was on.

This is what I’m looking forward to seeing. Will it be the same old? Or something different

Reactions: LeafsGuy16

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Vasi is the most second most overrated goalie in the NHL behind Hellybuyck. Dude won two "Covid Cups" that nobody gave a shit about and suddenly people had him in the Roy, Broduer, Belfour, Hasek pantheon. Give me a break.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Might be a bit of a crazy comparison, but with how relentless our forecheck is I'm reminded of the Panthers

We just come in waves and pressure the opposition in all parts of the ice. It's great to see

Reactions: Rude Dog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
TBL was actually favored in xGF and high danger chances. While we played well, the play of the two goalies made us look better than we were.

Corsi
4245.2%
54.8%
Fenwick
2741.5%
58.5%
Shots
2048.8%
51.2%
Scoring Chances
2348.9%
51.1%
High Danger Chances
1052.6%
47.4%
Expected Goals
2.2751.6%
48.4%

Skill probably isn't taken into consideration.
Kucherov is only 1 player. can't carry everyone.
If you score there is no rebound to inflate the stats.
Those were actually based on even strength. We were behind in 5v5 and all situations.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Great win, but I dont think this game was nearly as dominate as people are saying (outside the first 15 mins of the 3rd). Multiple people were saying that was our most dominate game in a long time and/or we never had a game as dominant in the Keefe era and I think some people have very short memories... I mean, we had a game just last year against STL where we held them to only 15 shots.

We played great and that effort probably results in a win 8/10 times, but Stolarz made quite a few big saves and Vasi let in 4g on 14 shots... the scoreline is definitely a bit flattering.

I think Berube might be just what this group needed, but our issues have always been longterm consistency and not the inability to thoroughly dominate a team if our players showed up. The real question is if Berube can help this team figure out how to score and win in the playoffs (I like what I see so far). Until then, I will hope for more consistency throughout the reg season and potentially winning the division to secure an easier first round matchup.

Glad Stolarz has been playing lights out and our goaltending has been much better than it was at the start of last year when Samsonov was playing like an ECHL goalie. I'm really excited once Woll is back too for what looks like a fantastic tandem.
eh we outplayed them for the first 10 minutes - then they took the next 10.

Besides special teams the second period we generated the bulk of the chances and ozone time

third period we slapped them to the tune of 10-2 shots until the refs decided to start believe the crowd came to watch them and not the players.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Might be a bit of a crazy comparison, but with how relentless our forecheck is I'm reminded of the Panthers

We just come in waves and pressure the opposition in all parts of the ice. It's great to see
i think our issue is forward depth.

Love mcmann and knies - and lorentz. But then its a whole bunch of inconsistency and just meh.

Hopefully holmberg gets there and I think he can. I'd love to trade lilly for a legit third liner with the highest upside.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

Corsi
4245.2%
54.8%
Fenwick
2741.5%
58.5%
Shots
2048.8%
51.2%
Scoring Chances
2348.9%
51.1%
High Danger Chances
1052.6%
47.4%
Expected Goals
2.2751.6%
48.4%
That's the problem with those kind of stats

Reactions: ER89

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

We can tell when you're frustrated. We all have to bear the brunt of it

• Haha
Reactions: ER89

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Wow!!!!! What a game.

I love Prime games. On my brand new Samsung 77inch S90C OLED, teh picture quality was unbelievable. never seen such quality picture for a hockey game before. I cant wait until next Monday for the next Prime game. In comparison, Sportsnet+ and ESPN+ suck.
I agree. But I can’t stand not being able to watch the game delayed. Haven’t watched a live game in years on tv. Watching commercials nearly killed me:laugh:

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
1729568089286.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad