Leafs starting line-up 24/25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5mokey

Jun 7, 2017
I feel like when I do this Marner doesn’t fit anywhere except on JTs wing and I don’t want JT in the top 6.

It’s obvious Marner and Matthews don’t play well together as their game devolves into a prissy ballerina game. And Marner can’t play in the bottom 6 because we have no one better. And we have no one good enough to play 2C unless we try Willy but I cringe at the thought of Willy and Marner on the same line.
I totally agree with your analysis, that’s why you make 2 second lines. One with Marner, Tavares ,McMann
And the other Ironhook,Kämpf,Nylander.
I thought Kämpf did a great job in the playoffs and his good play continued in the world championships.

Last edited:

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What about a Robertson-Nylander-Marner second line. Just feed them offensive zone starts. Robertson has 40g potential, Nylander will put up 40 himself, and having both Nylander and Marner feeding Robertson could be deadly. None of them are brain-dead defensively, just weak (strength wise) along the boards. All three are great with their sticks though.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I may be in the minority but I can’t wrap my head around any combination of what we have looking like a cup contending team….
No, there's are still some pretty big questions/issues.

- Missing a middle-six center
- Scoring depth issues
- Still light on D IMO (particularly if OEL doesn't show well)
- Unsure if either goalie can play more than 40 games.

The scoring depth issue could be answered in camp, at least in the short term, but for me, it's lacking a bit of pop.

The D and center issues are the most glaring to me. I think it's likely that Minten isn't ready and would be best served to be with Marlies, which leaves Holmberg or a wildcard option like Marner being used @ C.

For the D, I like McCabe, but there's something about half of the defence being him, Benoit, and OEL that I find to be underwhelming. It really needs someone like Liljegren to take a step, or another addition.

Reactions: Leafs87

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
As it stands... a combination of what I would like to see (at least tried) + what I expect.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Holmberg - Marner - Nylander
Cowan/Jarnkronk - Tavares - McMann
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves/???

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Woll
Stolarz

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Nylander - Marner
Pacioretty - Tavares - Cowan
Dewar/Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok
Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Woll
Stolarz
Murray

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Knies/Pacioretty-Matthews-Marner
Cowan-Domi-Nylander
Pacioretty/Knies-Tavares-Robertson/Grebenkin
McMann-Holmberg-Jarnkrok
(Grebenkin/Robertson and Dewar extra Fs)

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren/Hakanpaa
OEL-Hakanpaa/Liljegren
(Benoit 7D)

Cap related assumptions:
-Cowan earns a 9 game trial out of camp where they will test him in a top 9 role
-The terms of Hakanpaa's deal are unchanged from July 1 reporting (1.5x2)
-Pacioretty comes in at 1 year 1.5M which is close to his AFP contract projection (players signed off a PTO don't always mean their contract will be close to league min, Mike Hoffman once signed for 1 year 4M off a PTO with the Blues)
-Kampf is traded to make cap room for these signings
-Reaves is traded or waived+buried for the same reason

This opening night roster would be 270k under the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As it stands... a combination of what I would like to see (at least tried) + what I expect.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
Holmberg - Marner - Nylander
Cowan/Jarnkronk - Tavares - McMann
Dewar - Kampf - Reaves/???

Rielly - Tanev
OEL - Liljegren
Benoit - McCabe

Woll
Stolarz
Not bad, but I think Willy is more suited to play centre than Mitch.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not sure why people still have Nylander playing on the third line, he's the 6th highest paid player in the NHL and had 98 points last year. He will be in our top 6 guaranteed as he should be.

Only fans considerating line like #1-2-3-4... The reality is they're no coach who care about it

crosby, malkin and kessel had been in 3 different line and was working

Same story with toews, kane and sharp

The goal is not to be sexy but to find what working the best for the team and giving up the best chance to win in playoff. If that mean split your 3 best player on 3 different line to have 3 dangerous line who working the best, it should be the strategy.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Not bad, but I think Willy is more suited to play centre than Mitch.
Either may work if they were given time to adapt.

But given Mitch's defensive game, I think he would take to it quicker. The only issue would be faceoffs, particularly on the left side, which is why I had Holmberg with them.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
What exactly is the role of a centerman in the defensive zone? He's looking to be the 3rd guy in on board battles. Picking the pocket of the attacker whose battling with a defender. There aren't many players better at that than Nylander. They need to be able to make quick plays in tight areas to move the puck out of the zone.

What actually should be looked at when assessing these things? What makes a good centerman?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
What exactly is the role of a centerman in the defensive zone? He's looking to be the 3rd guy in on board battles. Picking the pocket of the attacker whose battling with a defender. There aren't many players better at that than Nylander. They need to be able to make quick plays in tight areas to move the puck out of the zone.

What actually should be looked at when assessing these things? What makes a good centerman?

it's more about positionning/ help the d protecting the front of defensive net( an area nylander avoiding). In a way, center is a kind of 3rd dman.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Either may work if they were given time to adapt.

But given Mitch's defensive game, I think he would take to it quicker. The only issue would be faceoffs, particularly on the left side, which is why I had Holmberg with them.
I'm not sure he would - Nylander has played more centre, more recently, and against better opposition. He also has a better faceoff %.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
it's more about positionning/ help the d protecting the front of defensive net( an area nylander avoiding). In a way, center is a kind of 3rd dman.
The fact that he's better at staying in position (covering his point man) shouldn't necessarily be considered a detriment.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The fact that he's better at staying in position (covering his point man) shouldn't necessarily be considered a detriment.

1-the fact hes a winger doesn't mean his position should always be at blue line covering dman, it's just not how hockey working in any system.

2- pressuring dman, skating outside of defensive zone, 10 feet behind the d and completly out of position, came back in defensive zone at his spot, and doing it over and over again...It's pretty bad positionning and the number of time he's doing it in a season is phenomenal.

3-Positionning is reason #1 why Marner playing every hardest defensive situation and Nylander didn't. Why Marner always played toughest matchup than Nylander

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Knies-Matthews-Domi
Grebenkin-Tavares-Marner
Cowan-Holmberg-Nylander
McMann-Kampf-Jarnkrok
(Dewar+Lorentz extra Fs)

Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-McCabe
OEL-Liljegren
(Timmins 7D)

Woll
Stolarz

Cap related assumptions with this lineup are the Hakanpaa deal doesn't end up happening, Robertson is willing to holdout in the regular season, Greb (Euro Assignment clause) and Cowan make the team, Lorentz signs for league minimum off his PTO, and Reaves gets traded at the end of training camp like Lafferty last season (because IMO if Kyle Clifford didn't fit Berube's system in St. Louis, I have a hard time believing Reaves will). This roster would be roughly 70k under the cap.
With those assumptions, I would see McMann higher in the lineup and perhaps Cowan and Grebenkin splitting that open winger assignment. Dewar is in as a PKer and fourth liner.

I also wonder about Murray being on the roster. If he has a good camp we could be at risk on losing him on waivers and we do want a third goalie in the system. Lorentz being sent down could be the answer to that.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I will give you Nylander avoids contact, he does not however avoid the front of the net.

This also doesn't really answer the question. Positioning comes down to hockey IQ and knowing where to be. Where the open ice is. Nobody has ever questioned Nylanders IQ.

I also find he plays a lot lower then most wingers in the defensive zone, yes he blows the zone a lot, that is him anticipating a turnover, which works more often than it fails.

Nylanders defensive game is a lot better then what he gets credit for, and a lot of it has to do with playing on the wing. He's better suited as a center.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I also wonder about Murray being on the roster. If he has a good camp we could be at risk on losing him on waivers and we do want a third goalie in the system. Lorentz being sent down could be the answer to that.
I seriously doubt this point being a possibility. Wasting cap on carrying a 3rd goalie on the opening night roster makes no sense when Hildeby and Akhtyamov could realistically both be viable depth/callup options as well this season.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I will give you Nylander avoids contact, he does not however avoid the front of the net.

This also doesn't really answer the question. Positioning comes down to hockey IQ and knowing where to be. Where the open ice is. Nobody has ever questioned Nylanders IQ.
Nylander hockey IQ is not bad but Marner clearly having the the edge in that part of the game. It's maybe the only area where Marner having an edge over Nylander

I also find he plays a lot lower then most wingers in the defensive zone,
he maybe play more lower than some winger but again certainly not morw than Marner. Nobody

yes he blows the zone a lot, that is him anticipating a turnover, which works more often than it fails.

Nylanders defensive game is a lot better then what he gets credit for, and a lot of it has to do with playing on the wing. He's better suited as a center.

you just sayvwhy he should not be an NHL center. You just can't cheating offensively like he' doing to try to anticipate aturnover to get a breakaway as center. When it's working t's great but when you're missing it, you gave up a opportunity to opposite team to hurt you. He's defending like a winger and playing 100% like a winger. Playing Nylander at C would just make leafs worst.

Last edited:

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I seriously doubt this point being a possibility. Wasting cap on carrying a 3rd goalie on the opening night roster makes no sense when Hildeby and Akhtyamov could realistically both be viable depth/callup options as well this season.
I understand that. I don't think either kid is ready for any extended role though. We have two goalies that have never combined for 82 games in a season. It's a risk point, if Murray is healthy he will garner interest. Isn't Lorentz the redundant piece that should have no problem clearing waivers?

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Murray may be the best goalie of the three currently.

Obviously, Woll has the most potential, but Murray has proven to be a great goalie over, his issue has been health.

If he is healthy and looks good in camp and pre-season, I'd carry three and let him play.

He is not an old man, he is 30 years old (same as Stolarz) and still looked good while battling injuries, would be curious how he looks if he is truly 100% healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad