Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Toss him with Matthews and Marner. Have the Mexican connection and can see if a self-proclaimed God like Marner can elevate the play of a pretty washed player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The decline of the Leafs LW position as "Leafs Cap Hell Core 4" strangle the depth out of the Leafs organization .

Zach Hyman ---> Michael Bunting ---> Tyler Bertuzzi ----> Max Pacioretty (on a PTO) and perhaps league minimum.

This is what its come down to because the Core 4 with Auston and Willy new contracts combined with Marner and Tavares current contracts all making double digit nearly $11 mil more, now consume combined $$$ the most Team Cap space of all time.

Leafs might have the weakest LWs in the NHL right now and can't see a washed up Patches help resolve that, IMO

Simply "Play the Kids" and take your lumps accepting the consequences of very poor cap management which could see some daylight next year as a couple of big contracts expire.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They played adequately for minimal return and they all retired soon after. I don’t think blocking young players who could provide equal or greater value on ice and denying them valuable experience is a good trade off.

Could is the key word. Pacioretty could score 30 goals (on pace anyway). Isn't that kind of good? This is adding competition and a leader. The young players don't have to go away and if they can't beat Pacioretty or someone else for a spot, I guess they didn't earn it?

If Cowan, Steeves or whoever come in and play incredibly well -- then you decide on Pacioretty. If he's also doing really well, look at someone else to cut/trade. I dunno to me the downsides are fairly low for decent potential.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He's not taking a spot from Mcmann or Robertson, as for Cowan if he goes back to Junior that's fine, let him go win a memorial cup.
He’s gonna play top 9 and that means on of mcmann or robertson are going to be pushed down, and I like their upsides a hell of a lot more than pacioretty.

I'd send Kampf out the door before Jarnkork without ANY hesitation, Jarnkork is both a better player, and cheaper.
really now?

Kampf produces more in the playoffs, and is a Center.

Janrkrok gets spoon fed minutes on line 1 and pp. we started this dude on pp1 over domi and bertuzzi in the playoffs this year and he had a whopping 0 points. I’d be shocked but that’s pretty normal from jarnkrok

Jarnkrok doesn’t show up after game 82, we already have enough of those, kampf still shows up so I keep him without much hesitation either

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That's fine, I just don't think that matters all that much. His cap space is a lot more valuable than his alleged lockerroom contributions
Could be but he obviously was brought in for a reason. If they felt his cap hit was more valuable on another player they would have done that.

Reactions: Cams

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Spezza especially..he scored at like a 50 points pace for the first couple season and even had a good playoffs. Never understood the need to bash the guy. His age was showing that third year, but Leafs got great value out of the guy for less than 1 mil per year.

He was okay, and still skated well enough.

And he was waiver exempt ... he'd retire if claimed.

Reactions: Menzinger

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Just a PTO. Nothing concerning.

We overreact to these things

I don't mind the move but I can understand the concern. Hopefully the Leafs figure out a way to keep him as a depth forward and don't give up a player with potential to play him.

What's disappointing is when you look at how weak the LW depth is and realize Patches actually has a shot. Hopefully McMann and Robertson have big years.

It seems obvious that they'll unload either Jarnkrok or Kampf in favor of having some extra depth (not just Patches.) Jarnkrok is a nice Swiss army knife but is non-existent in the playoffs. Kampf had a bad year last year and is a bit overpaid but is a better center.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The decline of the Leafs LW position as "Leafs Cap Hell Core 4" strangle the depth out of the Leafs organization .

Zach Hyman ---> Michael Bunting ---> Tyler Bertuzzi ----> Max Pacioretty (on a PTO) and perhaps league minimum.

This is what its come down to because the Core 4 with Auston and Willy new contracts combined with Marner and Tavares current contracts all making double digit nearly $11 mil more, now consume combined $$$ the most Team Cap space of all time.

Leafs might have the weakest LWs in the NHL right now and can't see a washed up Patches help resolve that, IMO

Simply "Play the Kids" and take your lumps accepting the consequences of very poor cap management which could see some daylight next year as a couple of big contracts expire.

They have prospects that can play LW.

Perhaps there is just no courage in the Leafs management?

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Just a PTO. Nothing concerning.

We overreact to these things

CJ and now his agent have both said a contract is coming. I'd expect it to happen.

That said I don't think it's worth freaking out over regardless. He either still has juice in the tank and can help the team win or he'll hit the waiver wire evenri

Reactions: aingefan

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
He'd seem fine even as a signing because he should have something left to give if he can remain reasonably healthy. He'd need a new number though!

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Could is the key word. Pacioretty could score 30 goals (on pace anyway). Isn't that kind of good? This is adding competition and a leader. The young players don't have to go away and if they can't beat Pacioretty or someone else for a spot, I guess they didn't earn it?

If Cowan, Steeves or whoever come in and play incredibly well -- then you decide on Pacioretty. If he's also doing really well, look at someone else to cut/trade. I dunno to me the downsides are fairly low for decent potential.

From the sound of things they’ve already decided. He’s basically signed, the PTO is a formality.

That doesn’t sound like someone who’s coming just for a tryout. It seems like he’s guaranteed a roster spot. If Cowan or Minten or whomever want to win a spot now it’ll be at the expense of another young guy like Robertson or Dewar.

If the Leafs are cutting bait on Kampf or Jarnkrok it’s a different story. Until then though, this is just another in a long line of choices where this franchise has prioritized veteran presence over youth.

Reactions: yort2010

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
From the sound of things they’ve already decided. He’s basically signed, the PTO is a formality.

That doesn’t sound like someone who’s coming just for a tryout. It seems like he’s guaranteed a roster spot. If Cowan or Minten or whomever want to win a spot now it’ll be at the expense of another young guy like Robertson or Dewar.

If the Leafs are cutting bait on Kampf or Jarnkrok it’s a different story. Until then though, this is just another in a long line of choices where this franchise has prioritized veteran presence over youth.
Guaranteed a contract not a spot.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Spezza was smart and had great hands... neither of those sticks out as strengths of Pacioretty, which are likely needed when you are aging and your body is breaking down, not to mention, most recently he was not good.

I hope this works out, just not holding my breath.

I don't see space for him with Robertson signing either.

PTO though, who cares?

It is the signing before the PTO that would annoy me.

I swear Treliving reads a 2019 scouting report and finds players.

Not comparing him to Spezza as a player. More so comparing the reason behind the signing. Spezza was signed to be the liaison between the players and management. Spezza was providing info to Dubas on how the guys were feeling ect. They had a close relationship and that increased in his last year as a player. Max Pacioretty wants to work in management, he’s been vocal and open about that. Pacioretty will have a similar role, help bridge the gap between players and management.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Until it's signed it's not official. I expect the Leafs to win a cup but doesn't mean they will. If Pacioretty gets injured in camp or looks awful, the Leafs are entitled to not go forward with it just like he's entitled tomorrow to sign a big contract with another team if they approach him.

Either way, there's a lot of ways it can go in camp. I'd wait to see how he and other players do. We're trying to win a cup, so it may come at the expense of a young player or two... but maybe not. They are apparently working on a trade (it's been said for 3 months) so we'll see how it goes.

Cowan is only 19 years old. Minten isn't exactly a top end prospect. There's a lot of room for them to grow... I don't know why it has to be the NHL this year or nothing. They'll still be good in a year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Guaranteed a contract not a spot.

Big difference.

The scratched Brodie last playoffs. He'll get a few games to show he can still keep up, but neither Tre nor Shanny are going to keep a guy around who isn't helping the team win considering the amount of pressure both will be under this year

Reactions: ACC1224

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He’s gonna play top 9 and that means on of mcmann or robertson are going to be pushed down, and I like their upsides a hell of a lot more than pacioretty.

really now?

Kampf produces more in the playoffs, and is a Center.

Janrkrok gets spoon fed minutes on line 1 and pp. we started this dude on pp1 over domi and bertuzzi in the playoffs this year and he had a whopping 0 points. I’d be shocked but that’s pretty normal from jarnkrok

Jarnkrok doesn’t show up after game 82, we already have enough of those, kampf still shows up so I keep him without much hesitation either

He's not taking a spot from Mcmann or Robertson, I suspect you'll see something like.

Knies Matthews Marner

Robertson Tavares Nylander

Pacioretty Domi Mcmann.

Pacioretty addition does not affect either Robertson or Mcmann.

And honestly if Pacioretty can somewhat bounce back that top 9 doesn't look to bad even if I would MUCH prefer Domi on the wing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would love to see any stat line that shows Jarnkok is significantly the better player than Kampf.

Better question who is taking the 70% dzone starts that KAmpf took last year at center? Once KAmpf adjusted to the fact that with Reaves on his wing he was playing a player down and Holmberg was put on the 4th line over the other black hole Gregor. Kampf brought exactly what the Leafs needed. A 4th line center who wins face offs in the Dzone and gets the puck out of the zone. Not sure how much offense anyone expected when you look at the wingers he was saddled with last season.

I like Kampf but I don't think you need to be paying 2.4 million to your 4th line center

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
A contract which Pacioretty wouldn't sign without an NHL spot for him. Guy won't be signing just to play for the Marlies at age 36.
How many games do they have to guarantee him?
Correct though, he would never play for the Marlies, if waived he would remain with the Team

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

...Knies, McMann, Robertson, Pacioretty, Holmberg, Cowan and Jarnkrok is not the worst LW group in the league and if you have a weak area would you rather it be C? D? G? Our wingers and centres in the top nine do include Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Domi and Tavares. Our F depth is still among the best in the league and to pick on LW seems to be ignoring the rest of the F story.

I don't agree with this assessment. Poor cap management? If Covid doesn't flat cap us maybe we still have Hyman. Yes, the flat cap did impact every team, most of the top teams have had far greater cap casualties than we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad