Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty to a PTO (official)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’m sure it’s been asked already, but for a 1 year league minimum deal would you rather sign Pacioretty or JVR?

Pacioretty was better than JVR even after missing a whole calendar year. He's not butter soft either.

I like JVR and he was a good alternative to bolster the LW depth but Pacioretty to me has a lot more potential to bounce back and really improve our scoring depth.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I'd send Kampf out the door before Jarnkork without ANY hesitation, Jarnkork is both a better player, and cheaper.
I would love to see any stat line that shows Jarnkok is significantly the better player than Kampf.

Better question who is taking the 70% dzone starts that Kampf took last year at center? Once Kampf adjusted to the fact that with Reaves on his wing he was playing a player down and Holmberg was put on the 4th line over the other black hole Gregor his numbers corrected to what they should be. Kampf brought exactly what the Leafs needed. A 4th line center who wins face offs in the Dzone and gets the puck out of the zone. Not sure how much offense anyone expected when you look at the wingers he was saddled with last season.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Are the kids fast?

If they’re physically capable, then play them. They’ll make mistakes but who cares.

Easton Cowan's Player Profile​

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - June 5th: "Cowan is a standout skater who buzzes around the ice, works and plays hard, thrives on the penalty kill, and emerged as an important player for a typically strong Knights team this year. He plays a fast, clever, determined and consistent game, hunting pucks, winning races, and then making little skill plays when opportunities or openings in coverage present themselves."

McKeen's Hockey rated him as the 7th best skater in the draft class. From their draft guide...

A strong skater, Cowan forechecked, drove the net, controlled the wall, and consistently made himself a passing option, making him a terrific complementary piece inside of London’s top nine [...] He is lightning quick.

There was a transformation in Cowan’s game through the season from a hard working, tenacious and secondary player to a player that not only drove his line, but his team. It was most evident when he led his team to a Western Conference Championship… Cowan is a terrific skater with a great separation gear that allows him to challenge defenders one-on-one. When chasing dump-ins, he regularly beats defenders to those pucks. It helps that he has a non-stop work ethic as well.

Reactions: Nineteen67

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Now that the PTO is official, before everyone assumes that means he will sign for around league minimum, just remember that Mike Hoffman once signed a PTO with the Blues and then signed for 1 year 4M that season.

AFP projects his cap hit around 1.5M, so my guess is he ends up signing for close to that number on a 1 year deal.

Reactions: banks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Now that the PTO is official, before everyone assumes that means he will sign for around league minimum, just remember that Mike Hoffman once signed a PTO with the Blues and then signed for 1 year 4M that season.

AFP projects his cap hit around 1.5M, so my guess is he ends up signing for close to that number on a 1 year deal.

He's eligible for performance bonuses so they likely will lean towards that heavily. Leafs can't afford a big cap hit from him and looks like the contract is all but ready to be signed, they just need to clear a bit of cap.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Easton Cowan's Player Profile​

McKeen's Hockey rated him as the 7th best skater in the draft class. From their draft guide...

There was a transformation in Cowan’s game through the season from a hard working, tenacious and secondary player to a player that not only drove his line, but his team. It was most evident when he led his team to a Western Conference Championship… Cowan is a terrific skater with a great separation gear that allows him to challenge defenders one-on-one. When chasing dump-ins, he regularly beats defenders to those pucks. It helps that he has a non-stop work ethic as well.
If Cowan is physically strong enough, why wouldn’t he play? Maybe he wouldn’t get the ice time, but if he’s as good as they say, he’d have to be in the running for Calder.

If they have to take a chance on Pac, that’s a problem.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’m sure after Marleau, Spezza, Thornton, and Simmonds, this next former NHL All-Star at the sunset of his career will work out better.

They were all fine except for Marleau's contract. They were low cap hit and capable vet players. Every team has them. It didn't work out in terms of the team winning meaningful games but I'd attribute that to much bigger issues than the veteran players brought in to help.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Pacioretty was better than JVR even after missing a whole calendar year. He's not butter soft either.

I like JVR and he was a good alternative to bolster the LW depth but Pacioretty to me has a lot more potential to bounce back and really improve our scoring depth.
Thank you for actually answering the question haha.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
They were all fine except for Marleau's contract. They were low cap hit and capable vet players. Every team has them. It didn't work out in terms of the team winning meaningful games but I'd attribute that to much bigger issues than the veteran players brought in to help.

They played adequately for minimal return and they all retired soon after. I don’t think blocking young players who could provide equal or greater value on ice and denying them valuable experience is a good trade off.

Reactions: Lauro and Obo

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Very concerning that the current GM actually signed Reaves to 3 years. Makes no sense
It made no sense when he signed him and makes even less sense now. We've run through the tough guy archetype on this team multiple times now, and each time it accomplishes nothing
Not saying they run the Team just that they would be happy he's a member of it.
That's fine, I just don't think that matters all that much. His cap space is a lot more valuable than his alleged lockerroom contributions

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

From his agent

Spezza especially..he scored at like a 50 points pace for the first couple season and even had a good playoffs. Never understood the need to bash the guy. His age was showing that third year, but Leafs got great value out of the guy for less than 1 mil per year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad