Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Pacioretty and Lorentz - 1 year deals

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Oh god, we're giving bonus money to Pacioretty? I don't mind signing the player, but he should not cost 1.5m, and we shouldn't be hurting next year's cap.
Lorentz is at least cheap; though not really sure why we're signing him. Only really useful if it means purging Reaves.

The 300k next year will really be a game changer. Would be so much better if we found solutions by trading our draft picks for days and years like Dubas or letting talent walk for nothing like a Dave Nonis special.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
kampf makes too much for what he brings

kampf.cap.wages.png

AI generated answer.

That's not AI, that's not artificial intelligence, that's automated information scraping.

Call it what it is.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Reaves for 3
Tanev for 6
OEL for 4
Woll when he isn't proven
Liljegren when he isn't proven
Pacioretty with a bonus that will carry over
6 picks at the deadline last year (they were just mid-picks that he used on players who have no future here, so who cares, is Dewar even going to be on the team? He was the best trade)

Not forward thinking... I don't mind some of the moves listed above, but he's signing older players to contracts that will hurt in the following years or he is signing players who are a question mark to multi year deals.

Reaves was a bit much. Tanev and OEL should be mostly OK or injured I imagine. Defenders last a bit longer in age

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reaves was a bit much. Tanev and OEL should be mostly OK or injured I imagine. Defenders last a bit longer in age
OEL is a question mark, the contract may end up being great, but it is not a forward thinking contract.

Tanev will likely have bad years between now and the time he turns 40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sure they are

He is building a team for this year and not crippling our future like Nonis or Dubas. That's a win.
We’ll see what he does with Marner before we decide he’s not crippling the future, but he already has Tanev on the books for the next little while. This year he has spent 53% of the cap on 4 players and two of them have shown they can’t play in the playoffs.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Tanev at some point in the next 3-4 years imo will look like Brodie did last season. I don't believe the plan is for him to play at a top 4 level till he's 41. and he's also not going to go from a quality top 4 dmen one year and then LTIR the next(barring a real serious injury) expectations of that deal will be that he drops down the lineup and then out on LTIR for the rest so at some point that Tanev's 4.5 million will look very similar to what we got out of Brodie last season prior to Tanev hitting LTIR, and which ever year that happens in will certainly be detrimental to our team.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't mind Lorentz. We need some size bottom 6 who can skate
Patches, I am meh on. He can end up scoring 20 goals but reality is he's very slow
I guess he provides some depth

But we went down this lane before, with Joe Thornton. I hope at least Berube has the balls to drop players or bench players if needed.

I am not sure who losing out here, mostly Jarnkrok. Which I am ok with. At least Patches has some scoring instincts

Reactions: rumman

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The 300k next year will really be a game changer. Would be so much better if we found solutions by trading our draft picks for days and years like Dubas or letting talent walk for nothing like a Dave Nonis special.
You say that like we won't still end up throwing away draft picks like candy in a few months.

We traded away 5 picks last deadline to add two bottom pair dmen (both gone) and mediocre 4th liner (still here but barely clinging to a roster spot). We'll almost certainly do the same again this year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

We traded 6 picks last year, the best player we got back was Dewar, who looks like will be sitting and is expensive for someone in the press box.

We still move picks.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He earned a spot, people talk about the country club atmosphere that this team has and how guys get handed everything.

Pacioretty came in and put up 5 points in 5 games what more do you want?

He didn't look great outside of one game.

Rifai also earned a spot and so did Myers, Benoit and Liljegren lost theirs.

Domi should probably have lost his spot this year.

It isn't just who played the best in the preseason, there are other factors.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I'm quite surprised by the fan reaction to Patches signing.

What gives?

It's not multi year. It's not a bank breaking yearly salary. Has he looked really bad in preseason?

Are we just going on recent history?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He didn't look great outside of one game.

Rifai also earned a spot and so did Myers, Benoit and Liljegren lost theirs.

Domi should probably have lost his spot this year.

It isn't just who played the best in the preseason, there are other factors.

Benoit didn't lose his, but yes Lily has

I'm quite surprised by the fan reaction to Patches signing.

What gives?

It's not multi year. It's not a bank breaking yearly salary. Has he looked really bad in preseason?

Are we just going on recent history?

No he's looked fantastic people that are against this don't understand the sport.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think the reaction to Patches contract is, who were we competing against? He clearly wanted to be here. Was he going to walk if we weren't willing to give bonuses that hurt next years cap?

Reactions: Dekes For Days

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He earned a spot, people talk about the country club atmosphere that this team has and how guys get handed everything.

Pacioretty came in and put up 5 points in 5 games what more do you want?

Preseason stats seem to be important if someone wants them to be.

But if someone doesn't like the player they don't matter.

Not talking you, just in general.

Are 4 goals and 4 assists in preseason important for signing/protecting a player over someone else?
Are they good if it is Pacioretty?
Are they good if it is Robertson?
Are they good if it is Puljujarvi?

Preseason success is meaningless.
Preseason success is critical.

Just put your money down and roll the dice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad