Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Liljegren to 2 year extension 3M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's the contract I expected, and he is a guy we should be keeping. $3 mil was the number I used in Capfriendly in playing around with next years roster.

Yes, he was a regular in our lineup this year. He missed ONE playoff game, when they were mixing it up. He played most of the regular season, when he wasn't injured.

He was our second highest scoring D man, per game played. Lowest GA/60 amongst, McCabe, Rielly, Boosh, Brodie.. Second highest expected goal %, just behind Rielly of the full season guys.

Some of this fanbase is so myopic, sees one thing and fixates on it. Benoit is very good at being physical.. not so good at moving the puck... we love Benoit, but players like him are why we can't move the puck out of our zone. Lilly moves the puck well. He's also only 24.

This is a good signing.

We should extend Robertson too.

he is the 2nd best puck mover from teh backend after rielly. puck hardly stayed in the d-zone when lily was on ice. his outlets are pretty good too. the issue was keefe's system had forwards breaking/blowing the zone as soon as d-men had the puck there wasn't much support.

i still think lily would improve a lot. if it doesnt pan out moving him is not an issue and its only 2 yr deal. The only time our PP was super HOT Lily was QB and there was a pointshot thread so opposition was kept honest while PKing too. Hopefully they give Lily fulltime #1PP duties next season

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And a player who can’t put it together, everyone’s had bad bosses, that no reason for giving him a hall pass. If I’m Benoit and I see this stiff making twice as much while mailing it in, well that ain’t good……..

Benoit doesn't strike me as the sensitive type, but he's under control thr next 3 years regardless of how he feels

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I like this. Would have preferred the same AAV on a longer term, but I think Lily is only going to improve. To me, the warts in his game will be improved through experience, and he brings puck moving ability that we sorely need. I like his ability to close off plays in transition as well. A 3rd pairing of Benoit and Lily is very good IMO.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Pretty average contract imo. I don't mind giving him a year to see what he can do under Berube. It also seems easy enough to trade if they need to.

They still need to sign at least a couple dmen though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Maybe he does figure it out, but what has concerned me, I’ve seen no development in his game the last two years. Go look at the games from the 2022 season, I’d argue he looked his best there for a spell. His consistency hasn’t improved at all, his arc is flat, which is why I’m now down on him. The lack of physicality and hockey IQ lapse, combined with his propensity to get “down on himself”, I don’t think he’s a top 6 on a true contender D core. He’s depth to me, and you can’t pay depth that cash.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
If we keep him he’s gotta be deployed as an offensive two-way dman. Put him in the top PP, give him offensive zone starts. He still has more to give offensively imo.

Reactions: Macallan18

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If he's playing third pair, it's not great. However, he's RD so that does increase his value probably by 1M

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This is where reading an excel sheet vs watching is shown.

The player can’t stay on his skates, it’s constantly bullied off the puck, can’t shadow his assignments and can’t stay healthy.

This BS about reading an excel sheet is a very poor attempt at discrediting his stats, which were very strong, and well backed up by watching him.

..and that's the funny thing... people get something in their mind, and it sticks. As the season wore on, he stayed on his skates better, was knocking much bigger players of the puck, and was very good at stealing the puck off of others. This is a young, physically late maturing kid, who will put up 20/20 or 25/25 if put on PP2 and used correctly.

Constantly bullied off the puck... umm actually only gave up the puck 18 times last year... I guess looking up actual excel stats sucks when it doesn't fit your narrative.

There is lots of time and room for him to grow, but you don't throw away the second best shot on the team, and a kid with this much natural offensive talent... if we do get rid of him, people will be talking about him, as the one we shouldn't have traded in a few years.

Our fanbase has such a lack of patience for young players... they are either superstars right away, or hot garbage... then the same people are mad when these guys excel elsewhere, and this kid will hit 50 points, and at least 25 goals in this league...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Rather give that money to a Boosh actually.

Here’s the thing about Lil, this idea he’s a puck mover and can skate out of our end. Yes, against passive teams like Ottawa, he looks great. When we face an effective forecheck, he falls apart completely, blinding chicks grenades up the wall to nobody and doesn’t skate at all. He can’t process the play quick enough. He’s a mirage that disappears when you looks closer, or more correctly when the game gets closer. He made my eyes bleed last playoffs.

Leafs' defensive zone structure was a joke. Forwards were never on top of the pucks. They were looking to blow the zone; all the time on the wing. For that Leafs would need like Prime Chara big body dude.

Berube's defensive structure is different I think Lily would do a lot better. If it doesn't pan out for some reason then one can always trade him; its not an albatross of a contract.

I am willing to bet Liljegren would do a lot better under Berube

Reactions: Macallan18

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Assuming Tanev will be 4mil x 6 as reported, this leaves us with just shy of $9 mil in cap, with 1st line LW, 2nd line LW and 2nd pair RD, a goalie to sign.

I think after Robertson is signed, we have all our forwards.

They still need a 2nd pairing RD and a backup (no way they gave Woll that contract without him being the projected starter).

It is not that bad, just no change, people should be pissed about that if they wanted it.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Assuming Tanev will be 4mil x 6 as reported, this leaves us with just shy of $9 mil in cap, with 1st line LW, 2nd line LW and 2nd pair RD, a goalie to sign.

How much do they save by trading Kampf and Jarnkrok and filling those spots with ELCs / minimums?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This BS about reading an excel sheet is a very poor attempt at discrediting his stats, which were very strong, and well backed up by watching him.

..and that's the funny thing... people get something in their mind, and it sticks. As the season wore on, he stayed on his skates better, was knocking much bigger players of the puck, and was very good at stealing the puck off of others. This is a young, physically late maturing kid, who will put up 20/20 or 25/25 if put on PP2 and used correctly.

Constantly bullied off the puck... umm actually only gave up the puck 18 times last year... I guess looking up actual excel stats sucks when it doesn't fit your narrative.

There is lots of time and room for him to grow, but you don't throw away the second best shot on the team, and a kid with this much natural offensive talent... if we do get rid of him, people will be talking about him, as the one we shouldn't have traded in a few years.

Our fanbase has such a lack of patience for young players... they are either superstars right away, or hot garbage... then the same people are mad when these guys excel elsewhere, and this kid will hit 50 points, and at least 25 goals in this league...
How can anyone say people see what they want and not acknowledge he was bullied off the puck? Like seriously, did you watch the Boston series? His idea of a board battle win is a draw. It was embarrassing.

Mind blowing.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Richer than I’d like for two years but I’m glad they’re keeping him.. there’s room for growth and I really want to see what he can do under Berube.

Folks were jealous of Florida’s ability to have so many good players on value contracts, like Verhaeghe, Bennett, Forsling, and Montour. They took some chances on guys who have had ups and downs in their development but have shown promise. I think Lily has more offense in his game.
And more defence under a better coach

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Benoit doesn't strike me as the sensitive type, but he's under control thr next 3 years regardless of how he feels
That’s how you kill morale, pay the guy who can’t do his job while others do the heavy lifting, where do you guys work, in a office?

Reactions: Al14

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To be fair, Lilly struggled in the playoffs.

Yes he did struggle in these playoffs, but he only missed one game... and to be fair, our team sucked in the playoffs, and it wasn't just him. But it was a six game sample, and you don't give up on a player... really playing in his first nearly full playoff series, because of a couple of games. In time, we will be glad we kept him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00