GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Basu is such a f***ing teteux de cul.

We are either the worse or 2nd worse team in the league depending on Carlsson, Mac and Mintyukov and others progression and our guys progression.

Also depending if we get injuries again, probably one or two injury from a 20 win season again. It must be agonizing to see from Suzuki, Guhle, Cole, slaf POV.

Cope again. Moore, Nazar, Reichel, Dach? They literally have kids pushing all.over.

Anyway it's not even the top 6 that needs to be addressed, it's the bottom 6
Cope? No. I appreciate sound management.

I get that you are frustrated with the situation, but the bottom line is that
1- summer is not over
2- they made great decision so far
3- they avoided undoing all of what they have build thus far by trying to accelerate the rebuild like Ottawa, or damage the cap situation like Toronto.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Idk about you guys but I don't want to pretend finish 10th and draft Tyler Boucher, Nate Danielson or the Norwegian clone of Jacob de la Rose.

1000000610.jpg

Keep an eye on Sammy Blais…

Someone tell Jordan Harris

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I've only read the first and last pages of this thread, so I apologize in advance if I am repeating an opinion that has already been expressed.

1- This team will not be able to do much until Bergevin's 'poisoned pills' are digested. (the long term awful contracts).
2- No true UFA of impact has ever signed with Montreal. And until proven otherwise it will continue.
3- We as a fanbase have to accept the fact that Montreal is at the same level, or slightly above Winnipeg, as a desirable destination for UFAs.

I stopped being upset at the Habs inability at obtaining desirable UFAs a very long time ago. Every June we hear that the Habs are in on Players X,Y,Z, only to end up being the Bridesmaid at best every time. I will never blame the management for its inability to sign interesting players. They are always handicapped by too many factors outside of their control.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Barron isn’t much more than a bottom 6 defender, Bogdan could be decent but may or may not pan out, the 1st is likely around the 20-25 spot and the third will in all probability be at the very end of the round.

McGroarty is a big forward with a great touch. He’s a solid leader who plays a physical two way game. He’s a natural goal scorer, and is a guaranteed NHLer. One of the guys that will get you through the playoff wars and be productive along the way. That counts for a lot, and I value that accordingly. I think he’s a perfect fit in our future core top 6 group of forwards.
How is a player whose not even signed more proven?

The team that drafted doesn’t even think he is now

Reactions: Skip Bayless

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Right... as if there was only one or two spots left on this roster. There's more like 6.

There isn't 6, since Anderson, Gallagher & Dvorak are immovable contracts. At least Dvorak is up in 2025.

Everything is setup for summer of 2025 even with Demidov coming over then.

What exactly has surprised you? Montreal said not to expect much from UFA, and they were true to their word. Summer isn't over anyway.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
I am starting to think that the UFA concept is not smart. It is critical that you draft and develop and also make smart trades.
Someone help me find a UFA signing in the last 20 years that made it to end of the contract and was deemed a huge success....

I think having a respected Russian veteran on the roster would be huge for Demidov.
A lot of ufa contracts don't turn out well. Some that have: Marian Hossa (Chicago), Sergei Gonchar (Pittsburgh) and especially Zdeno Chara (Boston). All three helped those teams win Cups. Best Habs ufa that comes to mind was Roman Hamrlik, really liked that guy.

Agree with the idea of having a veteran Russian on the roster when Demidov arrives. As much for the off ice adjustments as for advice on the league.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nashville really improved themselves yesterday. Went from fringe playoff team to Cup contender. Get a couple of runs at a cup, then trade them off when team starts to slide. stock up on extra first picks.

Jersey did well also. Made themselves a cup contender. Pesce at 5.5m was a steal. Get him for nothing. He is what most hope Reinbacher turns into.

Toronto did well. Totally reshaped their back end.

Carolina lost 3 big names. Pesce, Skeij and Guentzel. Going to be hard for them to make it back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad