Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Oliver Ekman-Larsson (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Our old fart failed experiments gave us a skewed perspective on the other old farts in the league.

OEL, Tanev and Pacioretty have been welcome additions thus far. Glad to have them aboard for this seasons run.
Great point. I'm thinking which old farts got off to good starts and I'm stumped. Not Foligno, Thornton, and Marleau. Maybe O'Reilly and Spezza? On defence, Giordano was good right from the start. But we've failed on as many as we hit on.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
OEL has some bite to his game and has some decent size and defensive positional awareness. That is nice to see for a guy who is known more as an offensive threat. I can see why he was considered a #1 d-man for the Coyotes.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Who else remembers that puck carry at full speed into the NJ zone last night during one of our PPs? No pass back bs, just did it himself… elite puck movement right there.

Reactions: banks and dethszn

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Everyone who has posted here needs to read their previous posts in this thread.
Some bad hot takes for sure.

Tre > HF here so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

How do you do that ?

https://forums.hfboards.com/search/?t=post&c[thread]=2970581&c[users]=HamiltonNHL&o=relevance

replace member name and HamiltonNHL. (and then click the search button).

For people with a space in their name you need to put a + sign in place of the space.

If my name had a space (Hamilton NHL):

https://forums.hfboards.com/search/?t=post&c[thread]=2970581&c[users]=Hamilton+NHL&o=relevance

Tre > HF here so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

How do you do that ?

https://forums.hfboards.com/search/?t=post&c[thread]=2970581&c[users]=HamiltonNHL&o=relevance

replace member name and HamiltonNHL. (and then click the search button).

Tre > HF here so far.

I've manually done a few users: (First page hot takes).

Jimmy Firecracker

Skullz

Primary Assist

The Masters

PromisedLand

Steven1562

Enjoy.
It’s been 2 games man… he’s not even through 0.5 % of his contract. A little early to judge this deal on either end. He’s looking good though.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
It’s been 2 games man… he’s not even through 0.5 % of his contract. A little early to judge this deal on either end. He’s looking good though.
hard to argue.

I did mention that the first time I posted. Looks like it missed the final draft.

Tre clearly saw what happened last year: Rielly is looking slow and regressing. He needed to try something.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I feel like your sugar coating these comments pretty heavily.

"Top pair for half the season" - 5th in TOI per game, 1.5 minutes less than 4th
The thing about TOI *per game* is that it only takes into account games that players play. When Everyone was playing, he was Florida's 5. But they weren't all playing a lot of the time. Resulting a year where OEL had more 5v5 minutes with one of Forsling or Montour in Florida's top 4 than he did on the bottom pair with Kulikov

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Leafs needed a stay at home guy for Rielly.
1728658089968.png

Why are people impressed with his offence.

NOT TO MENTION: he gets burned alot pinching.

he scores once every 10 games.

none in the last playoffs. Skates like a Dad now.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Are they or is one? And now we know you don't know what you talk about and if did. Accurate is not one of your traits.

I think he was overvalued which made the fall looks worse.
He earned his cheque imo until the latter half of the 2022/2023 season, it was all downhill from there…….

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The thing about TOI *per game* is that it only takes into account games that players play. When Everyone was playing, he was Florida's 5. But they weren't all playing a lot of the time. Resulting a year where OEL had more 5v5 minutes with one of Forsling or Montour in Florida's top 4 than he did on the bottom pair with Kulikov
Sure but TOI per game a more accurate representation of how the player was used over the year. If anything it's skewed heavily to make OELs usage seem more important. In the playoffs, with a full lineup he played 15:27 a game. Still 5th out of 6 D to dress and a full 3 minutes a game less then Mikkola who was 4th.

"When injuries happened and they had no choice he played more" isn't really a positive argument to make in favor of a player.

Regardless, I think he's fine at 3.5 no need to try and pump him up beyond what he really is.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
View attachment 915189

Can we just enjoy one player without needing to tear down another? Mo is the heart and soul of this team, time to stop slandering the man for being the only competent puck moving D on this team for so many f***ing years.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sure but TOI per game a more accurate representation of how the player was used over the year.
No. Why seek a "representation" when we can look at the detail? His breakdown last year was
380 minutes top pair with Forsling
109 Minutes mid pair with Montour
460 Bottom pair with Kulikov.

Literally half of his 5v5 minutes were in the top 4 of a 110 point team getting good results- Albeit with a Forsling/Montour not a McCabe.

"When injuries happened and they had no choice he played more" isn't really a positive argument to make in favor of a player.
The why isn't important compared to the "what" and "how well"

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Can we just enjoy one player without needing to tear down another? Mo is the heart and soul of this team, time to stop slandering the man for being the only competent puck moving D on this team for so many f***ing years.

He needs to be the D quarterback for PP2.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
View attachment 915189

He produced more last season in 72 games than any season OEL has had (that wasn't even his best season).

You mentioned playoffs... Rielly has been a stud

OEL: 49GP 4G 10A 14P
Rielly: 57GP 11G 29A 40P

I'd hate to see how bad you think OEL is offensively (only using him because it is his thread) or most D in the league.

Offensively, I think Rielly is a top 15 D and I don't think there is much of a debate to be had about it.

Reactions: banks

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Always this.

I don’t understand the constant need to shred a perfectly good player on the team to build up someone else.

A player can be good in addition to another player being good, albeit for different reasons.

We are allowed to have more than 1 good player at each position.

Never understood the “player A is good, therefore player B must be trash” mentality.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's still early, but he's been my favourite player so far. Adds an element we sorely needed on the backend and looks competent defensively

Hope he keeps it up!

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Always this.

I don’t understand the constant need to shred a perfectly good player on the team to build up someone else.

A player can be good in addition to another player being good, albeit for different reasons.

Never understood the “player A is good, therefore player B must be trash” mentality.
Except Reilly hasn't been good, he's slandered because of his contract and the expectations that come with it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It's still early, but he's been my favourite player so far. Adds an element we sorely needed on the backend and looks competent defensively

Hope he keeps it up!

2 games, it’s hard to say these things that early. Such a long season. We’ll see. 2 positive games, though. That’s a fact. After that, who knows. Time will tell.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Except Reilly hasn't been good, he's slandered because of his contract and the expectations that come with it.

Are we now bashing Rielly?

He's been one of the best Leafs in the playoff and consistently elevated his game.

He has his shortcomings, but he has been great overall.

His contract is also fine...

Reactions: Jojalu

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
OEL is playing like he's still on the Panthers and I'm all for it. I didn't expect him to clear the crease the way he does or move anything and everything away from the goalie after the whistle. One thing I've noticed though is that he's often the only one doing it and I hope that doesn't lead to him not doing it anymore (hoping it's the reverse and everyone buys in). That collective mindset on the Panthers is something I hope the Leafs develop this year and I'm glad to see OEL doing it.

Definitely happy with his overall play so far. I just hope we don't overuse him too much during the regular season since I think he can add a lot of value during the playoffs.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Always this.

I do this with Liljegren. I tear him down. I'm ok. I can sleep at night knowing I've done this.

;)

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Great point. I'm thinking which old farts got off to good starts and I'm stumped. Not Foligno, Thornton, and Marleau. Maybe O'Reilly and Spezza? On defence, Giordano was good right from the start. But we've failed on as many as we hit on.
Marleau scored 27 his first season. That's a good start no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad