Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Jani Hakanpaa (2 years, $1.5M AAV) [in progress; medical delay?]

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
and yet the "experts" called it one of the best Free Agency classes for D in many years... and it was...
I think the Leafs need a legit top pair D that is young enough to grow and gel with team over the next few yrs. The problem is, they don’t have cap space.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think the Leafs need a legit top pair D that is young enough to grow and gel with team over the next few yrs. The problem is, they don’t have cap space.

You talk about things being realistic, and then say your want is a legit top pair D, that is young enough to grow and gel with the team. Please list all, or any legit young top pair D, that's ever been moved. Barring some player demanding to be moved, that almost never happens.

Your wish list isn't realistic, so all you can do, is the best you can do with what is realistically available.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You talk about things being realistic, and then say your want is a legit top pair D, that is young enough to grow and gel with the team. Please list all, or any legit young top pair D, that's ever been moved. Barring some player demanding to be moved, that almost never happens.

Your wish list isn't realistic, so all you can do, is the best you can do with what is realistically available.
None were available in a trade for Nylander. Doubt one is for Marner.

Jones, Sergachev (Habs), Drysdale, Provorov, Faber, Byram are the best young dmen I recall being traded.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Bigger problem they don't even have that type of player yet, how many do you believe are in the league that fit that description? I assume 27 is long in the tooth and 26 is almost to old?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Series we lost:
1.71 GF, 2.57 GA
2.00 GF, 2.80 GA
3.43 GF, 3.29 GA
2.57 GF, 2.00 GA
2.00 GF, 2.40 GA

Series we won:
3.83 GF, 3.50 GA

Ya, we need to prevent more goals...

I keep saying it, but I think you should start watching the team more, you'd notice we need to score more, not defend better.

The best series we played (Tampa first year) and the series we won have the highest goals against.
Every single team in the National Hockey League needs to defend better.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You said it was a great free agent D core, we got the best one.
I am not sure we got the best one. I think most would agree that Skjei, Montour and Pesce, possibly Roy were ahead of Tanev.

However, we did get two of the top ten (ranked by the Athletic, June 6) available FA dmen. We also got Haakanpaa.

We got the three combined for less than Edmundson, Lyubushkin and Brodie (none of whom were ranked in the top 10) got on the open market this year. That's a pretty good upgrade and nice work.

We also may have got the right pieces for our puzzle:
  • Tanev is exactly the type of guy we want and need. He plays that style and with the drive we need more of. He is a RD and seems to be a fit with Rielly. If he makes Rielly better that is compounding value. The term is fine, because it kept AAV down before he visits Robidas Island.
  • OEL is also what we need. A guy who can play in all situations, eat minutes and be a mentor and support for Liljegren. Ekman-Larsson had a great year last year and was relied upon to carry the load with Ekblad and Montour out. We need less from him than they did (and received) last year.
  • Haakanpaa is a bit of a calculated gamble. He is either healthy and a perfect bottom pairing/#7 guy, or he needs more time to recover and this is why we signed him for two years. At some point we get a deal on this guy. What if he sits out all year and we fet him for the PO? It works for Vegas. There is zero risk here.
  • Keep an eye on Giordano being signed if Jani can't go, maybe even if he can.
  • Rielly/Tanev and OEL/Liljegren and Benoit/McCabe is pretty good.
  • Haakanpaa, Timmins, (Giordano), Niemela, Myers, and Webber provide decent depth.
  • I wonder about Klingberg at league minimum too as a project, sort of like Murray?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I hope this deal goes through and he's cleared to play
At $1.5M, a healthy Hakanpaa might be my favourite move of the off-season
If it's taking this long to medically clear him, how confident are we that he can play a full season healthy?

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
They have lots if they grow the guts to do what needs to be done next year and let Marner go, preferably through trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arso40

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Bigger problem they don't even have that type of player yet, how many do you believe are in the league that fit that description? I assume 27 is long in the tooth and 26 is almost too old?
There’s not many, but 26-28 would be perfect. The core has 4 yrs left and I would consider it a success if they could compete for the Eastern conference once or twice in that time.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They have lots if they grow the balls to do what needs to be done next year and let Marner go, preferably through trade.
Because they botched the rebuild they don’t have the resources to fill in the holes that are likely created when you make a Marner trade.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You said it was a great free agent D core, we got the best one.
He might be the best one, but does he help a team like the Leafs that have so many holes that it’ll take at least another year to fill, maybe two?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Me and Fogelhund don't agree on much, infact I'm fairly certain they hate me. But what you said isn't real.

A young top pair D that can grow with this team does not exist.

And even if it did it is VERY NOT available

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He might be the best one, but does he help a team like the Leafs that have so many holes that it’ll take at least another year to fill, maybe two?
Yes I'd say the best one helps, and he will still be in a year or two. It's the backend that's we will see him tail off badly, but we never get there anyways imho.

Reactions: Nineteen67

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Sort of fishy it hasn't been 'officially' announced yet...maybe Simmonds was onto something. It'll sure look foolish on management if this deal somehow falls though after he's already talked about him in the free agency presser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad