Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Chris Tanev (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Not saying he doesn't have great HIQ, but that is Brodie's strength too.
Brodie hockey IQ is pretty good but Tanev is a other level in this part

Exemple is i have a guy to choose ( at their best) to defend a 2v1 who 100% reading/ reacting at fast speed... Its tanev all the way. Tanev reaction time is better thsn brodie

Reactions: CincoHolio

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Brodie hockey IQ is pretty good but Tanev is a other level in this part

Exemple is i have a guy to choose ( at their best) to defend a 2v1 who 100% reading/ reacting at fast speed... Its tanev all the way. Tanev reaction time is better thsn brodie

Brodie was the best at 2 on 1's in the league, I'd try another example.

He sucked the last couple of years, no argument.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Probably not, I watched before the last two seasons, but you clearly didn't.

Tanev made his reputation 9f being one of top shutdown D in the NHL because of his hockey IQ but honewtly i just start to doubt if know you're really know what its meaning.

Scouting Report from forecaster

"Is still an excellent shutdown defender in his 30s. He has a quick stick, perfect for breaking up plays, and is excellent at easing attackers to the outside rather than allowing them into prime scoring areas. Though he is not a big point producer, he is an excellent partner for someone who is because of his high hockey IQ and selflessness."

"Is fast, agile and a superb skater who can move the puck and has some offensive ability. Can join the rush and is capable of working on the power play, and though he is in his 30s can handle a workload of 20-plus minutes on a nightly basis. His skating skills help counteract the fact that he is not terribly physical."

The funny thing, i just find it and they say pratically the same thing than i said about both...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Brodie was the best at 2 on 1's in the league, I'd try another example.
Yeah, of all the examples to choose, that was probably the worst lol. Peak Brodie was masterful at breaking up 2 on 1s, to the point it was basically memed around here. I also don't know why somebody would choose hockey IQ of all things - one of Brodie's strongest qualities - as the thing to pretend Tanev is better at. I understand it's just new guy hype, but odd choices.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
He looks great out there. Nothing fancy, just solid, smart defensive player. What I didnt expect was the good skating ability and first pass. Should be a playoff warrior for us.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TopCheeseShotta

Mar 1, 2020
Now that the games have started, he's looked better. That preseason made me wanna be sure we gave him the right stick to play with! lol....He seems to have settled in, though.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I think we all knew we were getting a great player in Tanev and he hasn't disappointed. Obviously health and longevity were the concerns.

Now to get him to mentor Danford....

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
His presence is noticeable on the backend and fair to say we have never had a player like him in the core 4 era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad