Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign D Chris Tanev (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m hopeful that a Rielly Tanev pairing works as wel as I think it will. In my opinion, Tanev was a really key signing. Over time, the whole D will be retooled until it is mean, physical, mobile and defensively aware, and this is a good step.

We should enjoy and watch how it plays out.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If anyone actually thinks that, they're setting themselves up for disappointment.

It’s the truth. That doesn’t mean however that Tanev will be that guy for anywhere close to the whole contract. Time will tell how long he can remain effective. 3-4 years hopefully at least. As the cap goes up over $100M though even when he becomes more of a bottom pairing D we will be fine (that is if he’s still playing those years)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It’s the truth.
It's not the truth. As you yourself said a few years ago, "I think calling Tanev better than Brodie is highly questionable."
That doesn’t mean however that Tanev will be that guy for anywhere close to the whole contract. Time will tell how long he can remain effective. 3-4 years hopefully at least. As the cap goes up over $100M though even when he becomes more of a bottom pairing D we will be fine (that is if he’s still playing those years)
I think it's pretty obvious that he won't maintain his level for the whole contract. He's almost 35, plays a quality and style that doesn't tend to age well through the late 30s, and we gave him a ridiculous 6 year term until he's 40. It all but guarantees an anchor at some point, and I really hope that's as delayed as some are expecting. Though based on some comments around here, some will still be disappointed with what he actually is, even now, before any decline.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I appreciate that there is reason to be concerned about the later years of his contract, but at this point, I really don't care too much. We need to win, and have some success NOW. By all accounts, it seems most fans want drastic changes the next offseason, if we fail again. I think most wanted it this offseason too, but here we are.

If the belief that Shanahan, and the entire management team's jobs are on the line here, then they needed to go all in this season, and not worry about years 5 or 6 on Tanev's contract. It's clear Tanev was a guy Tre wanted, and he did whatever he could to obtain him.

If we fail this year, what happens next? Most would say.. Shanahan gone, maybe Tre gone, Marner gone... maybe Tavares gone, or extended cheap. Plenty of cap space to retool.

This is a group that needs to focus on the NOW, not the years 5 and 6 from now. If they win the cup before then... who cares if Tanev is useless in years 5 and 6. If they bomb out again... well massive changes to everything is coming, so again... who cares.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's not the truth. As you yourself said a few years ago, "I think calling Tanev better than Brodie is highly questionable."

I honestly don’t remember saying that. Might have felt it at the time but no, what I am saying about Tanev now having been the better of the two has largely played out as accurate.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
1726583721222.png

Others as well ...

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I hope he does well, and he is a perfect fit on paper, but my goodness I forgot that we gave him 6 years!

This could age horrifically.

Tanev is much, much, much closer to Brodie than Muzzin. The hope is that Tanev will be as good for us as Brodie was.

Neither are soft, and neither are generating much offense. Each have things that they are better at, but they've been quite similar overall.
Brodie was really good the first two years for sure.

Muzzin was an absolute stud: what a shame that still is.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Rielly-Tanev is going to be an infinitely better pairing than Rielly-Brodie, that's going to be for sure. Rielly-Brodie was a god-awful pairing that kept getting forced down our throats.

Reactions: Duffman955

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I hope he does well, and he is a perfect fit on paper, but my goodness I forgot that we gave him 6 years!

This could age horrifically.

Brodie was really good the first two years for sure.

Muzzin was an absolute stud: what a shame that still is.

Does anyone believe there is any expectation he'll be around for all 6?

League said they are not going to do anything to address the inequity between teams with regards to taxation. Said it was too complicated so it is up to the teams to address those inequities.

My guess is there is only surface concern from the league about these "unable to complete" contracts.

Paraphrase the league's response, "Sucks to be you. Deal with it."

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's here, and while I get that your lasting memory of Brodie was a down year, and you're hyped about a new player, you were right back then.

But tanev and brodie are not really comparable, they just dont playing the same way. Ron Hainsey would be a better comoparaison for Tanev type of player. kind of player who will play exemple with a foot i jury and still do everything he can to block show whatever whats happening

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
But tanev and brodie are not really comparable, they just dont playing the same way. Ron Hainsey would be a better comoparaison for Tanev type of player. kind of player who will play exemple with a foot i jury and still do everything he can to block show whatever whats happening
Players don't need to have the exact same playstyle to be compared.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
True, you can compare Matthews to Kampf, they are both centers.

This is 100% the same as comparing two defense-first defensemen who have decent puck skills and are both undersized and generally play the defensive role in a pairing...

Why do people compare Matthews to any elite player? No one shoots like him, it is pointless.

What kind of silly comment is this?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You're looking for big defensive minutes and heavy PK time from both Brodie and Tanev. Brodie did it through managing gap, closing time and space, Tanev is more physical in approach. Its a similar/identical role with different styles.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's here, and while I get that your lasting memory of Brodie was a down year, and you're hyped about a new player, you were right back then.

Fwiw, I wasn’t disputing I said it, just that I didn’t remember doing so.

Your assessment about why each sentiment has been express though is wrong. My lasting memory of Brodie isn’t the down year, I’ve already said within this very thread that he was largely very good for us and people should remember that, but opinions do evolve and I do think Tanev has generally been the better player and I would have said the same 2 years ago.

I’ve always considered Tanev held back by his injury history and I have to assume that’s what my comment you dug up was alluding to.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Fwiw, I wasn’t disputing I said it, just that I didn’t remember doing so. Your assessment about why each sentiment has been express though is wrong. My lasting memory of Brodie isn’t the down year, I’ve already said within this very thread that he was largely very good for us and people should remember that, but opinions do evolve and I do think Tanev has generally been the better player and I would have said the same 2 years ago. I’ve always considered Tanev held back by his injury history and I haven’t assume that’s what my comment you dug up was alluding to
It's fine for opinions to change over time, but changing opinions doesn't support the idea that "Tanev has always been the better player by a good margin".
They've each had their own ups and downs, and each have their own strengths and weaknesses, but overall, they've been a pretty similar caliber of player.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You're looking for big defensive minutes and heavy PK time from both Brodie and Tanev. Brodie did it through managing gap, closing time and space, Tanev is more physical in approach. Its a similar/identical role with different styles.

Exactly what i said
Players don't need to have the exact same playstyle to be compared.

Yes and no..

Like Gallagbi said

Brodie did it through managing gap, closing time and space, Tanev is more physical in approach.

What's the 1st thing your losing with time? Speed

What the main tool Brodie need to play his style? Speed

What the main tool Tanev need to play his style? Strenght/physicality

so who will be the most affect D by gettint older? Brodie for sure, so yes play style can affect how your game will evolve with time.

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Like Gallagbi said
Brodie did it through managing gap, closing time and space, Tanev is more physical in approach.
What's the 1st thing your losing with time? Speed
What the main tool Brodie need to play his style? Speed
What the main tool Tanev need to play his style? Strenght/physicality
so who will be the most affect D by gettint older? Brodie for sure, so yes play style can affect how your game will evolve with time.
Comparing players is different from comparing how they are likely to evolve as they age. Speed is an integral part of any approach. If anything, players dependent on physical qualities and playstyles tend to break down earlier than intellectual players.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Comparing players is different from comparing how they are likely to evolve as they age. Speed is an integral part of any approach. If anything, players dependent on physical qualities and playstyles tend to break down earlier than intellectual players.

When you playstyle is entierly based on speed, you will get hurt much more than a player with who its just a part of his game

Brodie can't play physical so if hes losing speed, he can't overcome it with anything.

If tanev loose speed he still can overcome with something else.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Tanev would’ve been better to have these past four seasons than Brodie. The biggest reason for that being that if Tanev were here instead of TJ I highly doubt the Leafs trade for Lyubushkin (x2) and Schenn and play them alongside Morgan Rielly.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
When you playstyle is entierly based on speed, you will get hurt much more than a player with who its just a part of his game
Brodie can't play physical so if hes losing speed, he can't overcome it with anything.
If tanev loose speed he still can overcome with something else.
I'm not sure why you think Brodie's play is "entirely based on speed". We're not talking about McDavid here. And for the record, speed also impacts physicality and the ability to utilize it effectively. Both of these players - like pretty much all players - utilize speed, but neither are especially reliant on it. Brodie primarily relies on his brain, which is usually the last to go, long after physical attributes.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The biggest reason for that being that if Tanev were here instead of TJ I highly doubt the Leafs trade for Lyubushkin (x2) and Schenn and play them alongside Morgan Rielly.
They likely do. It wouldn't change our depth or our desire to utilize our defensively-strong top RD in a shutdown pairing. Also, Schenn was great for us.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm not sure why you think Brodie's play is "entirely based on speed". We're not talking about McDavid here. And for the record, speed also impacts physicality and the ability to utilize it effectively. Both of these players - like pretty much all players - utilize speed, but neither are especially reliant on it. Brodie primarily relies on his brain, which is usually the last to go, long after physical attributes.

At d if you cant play physical, you absolutly need speed to defend. If taking 1/2 more to be at your position and your can't play physical.

Physical game help you to win some time. I give you an exenple... You're on the rush, you reach blue line, trying to attavk middle of the ice and get hit pretty hard... Next time do you think, you will react the same way or thinking a little longer and maybe hesitate? Maybe stay a little more on the board and taking 1,2 for second to attack the D. so physicality help to win time.

If you dont play physical what do you think will happen, they will conti u to attack him over and over again. He become to slow to follow them and will never slow you down, so you can do every thing you want and just get free entry zone all the time. Thats why brodie game declining much more faster than tanev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad