GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Other than the goalies who looked decent I didn’t see a single prospect that wanted a job. So much for the silly narrative that hungry young prospects will beat a squad that already has a spot.
Apparently it’s only the leafs a team that doesn’t show up for a preseason game because they don’t give a crap

Mattinen is not NHL material, and he's too old to fit in a developmental league like the AHL.

Perhaps he could catch on in a lower level European league, or in coaching or player development.

I hope his hockey experience opens a door for him somewhere, but he just gave Leafs' management their easiest decision of the night.
I’m thinking lumber department at Home Depot

• Haha
Reactions: Kief Richards

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Speaking of Niemela, he really needs a look over guys who are clearly not in the plans on D. He needs a preseason NHL feel to take into the AHL season.
I think they've scratched a few of the waiver-eligible players off the list, and will give more waivers-exempt players who might actually help the team a better look next.

Niemela, Minten, Tverberg, Kokkonen, Villeneuve, Pare and some others should be in that group. Niemela must be at or near the top of the list.

What's with Abruzzese? Is he in camp? I would have expected to see him tonight.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I’m thinking lumber department at Home Depot
I'm thinking business, marketing, education or athletics for a former pro hockey player like Mattinen will be soon enough.

I hope there's something with a future in it for him.

The system chews these kids up and spits them out after spending their prime formative years pursuing a career in hockey. There's got to be a better way.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Holmbergs first 2 punches and a couple of good looks from Robbie were about all I saw tonight.

Everyone else was meh save the goalies

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Nothing like Timmins and looking good in the preseason!

I thought Myers and Rifai were also okay.

Liked Knies, Holmberg, and McMann

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Screenshot (1524).png

• Haha
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg and Kampf all looked like the NHLers they are on forward.

I liked Rifai’s feistiness on defence.

Stolarz and Hildeby kept us in it.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It was fun to watch some hockey again. Not a great game, but I thought an interesting one. G’rending I thought our best area. D was meh, and that giveaway for Ottawas 2nd made me laugh, it was so bad. F: Robertson impressed me, a couple of breakout patterns I liked on the PP, McMann had some hustle, I think Kamph knows he’s on a short leash. But, Cowan disappointed - were/are my expectations to high - finishing was an issue, nobody unexpected stood out in a good way. That said, I think the efforts were pretty good. I hope Berube has a chat with Cowan, settle him down, the kid is better than he’s shown.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Part of it is just the roster mix tonight but a lot of the guys that make up for forward depth in this realization are just too similar. They play that blandly competitive but polite kind of hockey. No offensive pop. No edge. It’s going to take a few offseason cycles and drafts to alter course.
Well yeah, we have none of our picks next year and overhyped our prospects..again. When guys are taken later it's often cause the Gm needs guys to help in at least 2 years. After all those high picks we have no refill. We are going old this year as Berube realizes you can't turn butter into steal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nothing like Timmins and looking good in the preseason!

I thought Myers and Rifai were also okay.

Liked Knies, Holmberg, and McMann
Knies, Robertson, McMann, Holmberg and Kampf all looked like the NHLers they are on forward.

I liked Rifai’s feistiness on defence.

Stolarz and Hildeby kept us in it.

Agreed. Holmberg was a pest and very good at both ends of the ice. Rifai, Myers and Timmins were solid on defense but overall they all struggled at making plays.

Out of the new players, Mermis and Nylander struggled mightly.

Cowan and Greb had pretty terrible games. Seemed completely lost. Steeves was the best of the "prospects".

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Cowan has not impressed at all. I get that there are few bright spots, but much like Patches he needed to find a way to be one of them and he hasn’t.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Mattinen is not NHL material, and he's too old to fit in a developmental league like the AHL.

Too old for the AHL? Jesus, some people say the dumbest crap here. Check the average of teams in the AHL then think again.

"Time to panic" ffs does the hockey media in this city have no shame?

Ffs, do HFboards members even listen to things before commenting on them? You clearly didn't.

She did not say it was time to panic, she said that in this market many people will say that after two losses. She then agreed with him that it is just the preseason.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Or… dump and chase times as part of a varied attack. And see how their PK unit does after repeated pastings into the end boards. Why can’t we weaponize an aspect of the game to make life harder on the opposition for a change…

That wasn’t an anti-dump and chase thing, you should be good at every breakout and rotate through all of them unless you’re facing a specifically exploitable defense at one of them. My point about the fast entry off the fake drop pass is that it makes the drop pass more effective when you alternate fakes and real ones, dump and chase is telegraphed before they have an opportunity to bite on a fake drop.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Too old for the AHL? Jesus, some people say the dumbest crap here. Check the average of teams in the AHL then think again.
Why don't you do that and get back to me on it?

The AHL is a developmental league with limits on how many players with more than 260 NHL, AHL and European professional games experience can play at once.

There is no upper age limit, and most teams carry a small core of older players, but most of the playing time goes to players about 26 years old or younger. That's the purpose of the league.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I'm thinking business, marketing, education or athletics for a former pro hockey player like Mattinen will be soon enough.

I hope there's something with a future in it for him.

The system chews these kids up and spits them out after spending their prime formative years pursuing a career in hockey. There's got to be a better way.
Why? Nothing wrong with following a dream. People flunk out of medicine,law, engineering, they never make a music album,why not hockey.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Why? Nothing wrong with following a dream. People flunk out of medicine,law, engineering, they never make a music album,why not hockey.
It doesn't take long to flunk out of medicine, law or engineering. There's a very high attrition rate in the first year, let alone those who never get in.

The difference is all the educational things young people do to pursue those careers prepare them for something else, which playing top-tier hockey from the age of 15 or so often doesn't do.

I'm all for following dreams. I would just like a good future for those who try and fall short of their dream.

American college hockey is the way to go, because you can play hockey and pursue an education at once. The junior hockey-minor league pro route is less accommodating of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad