GDT: Leafs @ Sens - 7pm - TSN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Goaltending was good.

Robertson seemed to be the only guy out there who could create much offensively. Knies and McMann are more Power forward type guys, who score goals off others work, but there wasn't anyone to feed them tonight. Kampf played decent, created some chances, but has hands of stone.

Grebenkin just didn't show enough, but wasn't terrible. Cowan isn't close to ready. A. Nylander just isn't anywhere near good enough.

This team needs some depth offense, and nobody really stepped up to claim that spot.

Disappointing night for Holmberg overall. He was given plenty of opportunity, and played quite a bit on the PP. But I can't recall him winning a single faceoff on the PP. It resulted in plenty of lost offensive zone time. Winning faceoffs in pressure situations is key if you are looking at options to perhaps replace Kampf in the lineup, or even further up. But tonight suggests he isn't that guy.

Quillan showed some effort, but lacked quality. Shaw had about one or two plays I remember, and was otherwise invisible. Hirvonen will end up back in Europe in a year or two.

I liked much of what I saw from Myers, and Rifai. Mattinen who I was excited to see, based on reviews and DEL player of the year... man... he's big. That's it. Doesn't really move much in the Dzone, isn't physical enough for a guy his size. Positioning isn't great...and of course the gaffe, which I'd overlook if he had an otherwise good game, but it wasn't that.

Timmins didn't show enough offensively to make up for weak defense. Benoit laid an egg. Mermis is a nah for me as well.

edit: forget to mention Steeves... I mean he scored our only goal... but it was more luck than skill, and otherwise didn't give enough reason to consider him for a spot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Speaking of Niemela, he really needs a look over guys who are clearly not in the plans on D. He needs a preseason NHL feel to take into the AHL season.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Hockey question. What exactly do these pros do to play such terrible hockey in preason. Do they slow it down ? Or stop skating and pass too early...its like they all suck.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
I liked Robertson, Holmberg, McMann. All three played decently heavy, pesky games. Robertson stood out offensively, but also seems to be able to take hits and stay on his feet. He took a step in that direction already last season, so positive to see. Hopefully contributes to his ability to stay healthy.

Goalies looked stout. The rest, meh. Mattinen especially horrible; way too lackadaisical, soft and lacks IQ.
Agreed! Really was looking forward to watching stolarz here and he didn’t disappoint

Reactions: no2ninja

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Cowan may have taken a step back this fall. Doesn’t have the kid energy with Minten and probably not plying as free as he did last year with pressure in his own mind to make the team.

A. Nylander looks like a Marlie. Grebenkin definitely could use AHL time, just get acclimated and heavier. Robertson has hustle but isn’t even thriving at this level of competition. Steeves alright. McMann looks stone hands in close. Hirvonen reminds me of Kerfoot a little. Holmberg is customarily very vanilla. Kampf actually looks powerful and engaged out there.

Goalies have been impressive. Defense is just an organizational black hole.
I can't believe the one guy you gave a compliment to was none other than Kampf.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Compared to Willie, Alex doesn’t look like a guy who built up his strength all these years. Really doesn’t have the powerful base or the confident handles of his brother.

He reminds me of Josh Leivo. When he was moving you thought maybe he has skill but then, he just watched the play and lacked awareness. Pretty sure it was Leivo or maybe Holland? Either way he doesn't look engaged or like he is anticipating the play.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We want to play heavy but lack the tools. Time for Berube to talk Tre bout some changes. They were hoping some young guys were ready. They ain't. Let's hope looking at all possibilities means they have plan b. Newsflash! This ain't a top 4 team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We want to play heavy but lack the tools. Time for Berube to talk Tre bout some changes. They were hoping some young guys were ready. They ain't. Let's hope looking at all possibilities means they have plan b. Newsflash! This ain't a top 4 team.

Part of it is just the roster mix tonight but a lot of the guys that make up for forward depth in this realization are just too similar. They play that blandly competitive but polite kind of hockey. No offensive pop. No edge. It’s going to take a few offseason cycles and drafts to alter course.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I sort of liked the players I already like, and aside from one defenceman didn't really see anything too remarkable from anyone else.

I'm partial to McMann, Timmins, Benoit, Rifai, and Hildeby. I thought McMann stood out, and the rest were okay.

I'm pulling for Robertson and Cowan but despite my best efforts didn't see much from either of them. Robertson certainly doesn't look like a top-six forward. Cowan still looks like a Smurf, less energetic and less impressive that last pre-season, and more like a junior than a pro.

I'm indifferent to Alex Nylander. Had he been one of my fav's I would have said he looked okay -- and he did -- but he didn't really do anything to impress.

I like the idea of a 6'6" right-handed defenceman with NHL experience, and tried to keep an eye on Philippe Myers, but he made me a bit jumpy. We'll, as jumpy as I can get for an early pre-season game. He did not exude confidence, and I thought the Leafs had better defencemen on the ice.

Some others looked okay as well. I missed Steeves' goal, and watched for him after that but saw nothing. I don't think there was another Leafs' player that really stood out.

Maybe that's as much good as bad.

Reactions: meefer

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
edit: forget to mention Steeves... I mean he scored our only goal... but it was more luck than skill, and otherwise didn't give enough reason to consider him for a spot.
I don't know brother, the 8 hits was double of anyone on our team. We need physical players like that, leaf's have been considered soft for a while... hit them, ride them, and you can choke them out.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
I have to say, as a leaf fan, Ottawa looked great. They were attacking us at speed... while our guys were scrambling to get a piece of the puck. I was really impressed with the way they attacked our net, this game could of easily been 5-1.

The only good thing for us was our goaltending.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I feel bad for Mattinen. He is obviously not an NHL player and most likely never will be...but I think he's probably better than this game. This was his first preseason game of any pro North American league and I think that should be taken into consideration.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Steeves, Timmins, Rifai, Mermis, and Myers are the waiver-wire candidates who were on the ice tonight.

I think Steeves, Timmins and Rifai are very much in the mix to avoid waivers, one way or another.

Myers might be there too. Others liked his game more than I did, and there's certainly a lot to like about him as a depth defenceman. Personally, I think they will waive him and hope he clears.

Mermis is a 30 y.o. fringe defenceman with limited NHL experience. I don't think Leafs' management needs to see any more of him before putting him on waivers. He didn't stick out as bad or anything, but he's not good enough to help the Leafs and he won't be claimed. He's a possible emergency call-up, and could help stabilize the Marlies. He might get a game here or there, but his future is not in the NHL.

He's on a one-way deal. Drawing an NHL salary at the Ricoh will be just fine.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I find tonight is a nice break from watching Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly. The pattern to that groups ups and downs is very repetitive and personally annoying when they give the B effort. So at least it’s not that.

I like our goalies a lot in this game. That’s the bright spot.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Not sure anyone we send down would get claimed unless it's someone like Holmberg or Timmins. Every team is going to have a Steeves or Myers that they're sending down. No one is going to pick one up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad