Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Question

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Are any of these prospects no longer with the leafs organization ?

Been doing a ranking of the players

Leafs Top pospects 2024 Summer Rankings
In Progress

Leafs Top pospects 2024 Summer Rankings
In Progress

1 Easton Cowan C 5'11 Age 19
2 Fraser Minten C 6'1 Age 20
3 Nikita Grebyonkin RW 6'2 Age 21
4 Topi Niemela D 5'11 Age 22
5 William Villenueve D 6'2 Age 22
6 Ben Danford D 6'2 Age 18
7 Alex Steeves C 6'0 Age 25
8 Cade Webber D 6'7 Age 23
9 Noah Chadwick D 6'4 Age 19
10 Nick Moldenhauer RW 5'11 Age 20
11. Dennis Hildeby G 6'7 Age 23
12. Miroslav Holinka C 6'1 Age 18
13. Ryan Tverberg C 5'11 Age 22
14 Hudson Malinoski C 6'0 Age 20
15.. Victor Johansson D 6'1 Age 18
16. Ty Voit C 5'10 Age 21
17. Sam McCue LW 6'2 Age 18
18 Artur Akhtyamov G 23 Age 23
19 Matt Lahey D 6'5 Age 18
20 Semyon Der-Arguchintsev C 5'11 Age 24
21 Roni Hirvonen C 5'9 Age 24
22 Mikko Kokkonen D 6'2 Age 24
23 Nick Abruzzese C 5'11 Age 25

Graduated:

1 Mathew Knies LW 6'3 Age 22
3 Joseph Woll G 6'3 Age 26
6 Pontus Holmberg RW 6'0 Age 25
8 Nick Robertson LW 5'9 Age 23
9 Brandon Lisowsky LW 5'9 Age 20 AHL ?
14. Fllip Kral D 6'2 Age 25 Pens
16 Rodion Amirov C 6'0 RIP
20 Kalle Loponen D 5'11 Age 23

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Outside of Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and Holinka at forward and Danford and Webber on D I don’t see any players with an NHL future. However there are a couple of goaltenders namely Hildeby and Akhtyamov who could play NHL minutes.

I’m not sold on Niemela. He needs to take a big step this season.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Outside of Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and Holinka at forward and Danford and Webber on D I don’t see any players with an NHL future. However there are a couple of goaltenders namely Hildeby and Akhtyamov who could play NHL minutes.

I’m not sold on Niemela. He needs to take a big step this season.
Niemela definitely isn't our 4th best prospect. He is a 3rd pairing if he even makes it to the bigs. Danforth will be far better.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Niemela definitely isn't our 4th best prospect. He is a 3rd pairing if he even makes it to the bigs. Danforth will be far better.
Niemela is small and an average skater. Basically a version of Sandin who is more defensively aware but without a big shot. I don’t see him as being more than a third pairing guy if he gains some strength.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Whether or not Lisowsky should be on the list is a question mark. As you can see in a number of other threads, the Leafs declined to sign him and he went into the draft again. He as unclaimed, however, and the Leafs invited him to the development camp where he seems to have performed well. They may offer him an AHL contract but as of now he isn’t Leaf’s property.

Reactions: Leaf Lander

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
People used to be incredibly high on Niemela. What happened?

The same thing as with Sandin. People recognizing that he just isn’t fast or big enough to be an effective D man in the NHL. He could still get stronger and improve his skating but in all likelihood he’s destined to be a 7th D.

Think Nathan Dempsey.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
People used to be incredibly high on Niemela. What happened?
A developmental year in the AHL collided with many fan's expectations, plus a few people in the media started pegging him as a max 3rd pair upside. New league, new coach and team mates so growing pains were going to happen. By the numbers he had a solid year. If he worked hard over the summer and has learned anything at all he could definitely show something more. Its like Tverberg being 1 year out of college. A pro season under their belts and a summer to train and this year becomes more the measuring stick. Gruden is an experienced NHL coach but he has never coached in the AHL and hadn't played in the A in over 20 years. All 3 should do better this year and all 3 do have something more to prove.

I was never incredibly high on the guy but its not like he has been coasting.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
A developmental year in the AHL collided with many fan's expectations, plus a few people in the media started pegging him as a max 3rd pair upside. New league, new coach and team mates so growing pains were going to happen. By the numbers he had a solid year. If he worked hard over the summer and has learned anything at all he could definitely show something more. Its like Tverberg being 1 year out of college. A pro season under their belts and a summer to train and this year becomes more the measuring stick. Gruden is an experienced NHL coach but he has never coached in the AHL and hadn't played in the A in over 20 years. All 3 should do better this year and all 3 do have something more to prove.

I was never incredibly high on the guy but its not like he has been coasting.

The problem is that Niemela played in the Liiga in Finland for 3 years before joining the Marlies and his development curve is rather flat. I think 3rd pair upside is being generous.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Some fans are still high on him and Sondre Olden.
images

Oct 18, 2010
sondre olden has turned into kind of a monster in the swiss league, had a 2PPG playoff run a couple of years ago!

I'm just saying. There's never a time where there isn't some guy being hyped up as a surefire prospect and they pretty much all never do anything. How many tiny men make it in the league, and then think about how talented those players are. But surely Ty Voit is the one.

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Well with wes clarke gone maybe will get a guy who can spot talent skill with nhl size which is about 6'3 and above in the first rnd.

Because when you always draft small player in the first rnd odds are you are creating a small mhl team that will get pushed around

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Well with wes clarke gone maybe will get a guy who can spot talent skill with nhl size which is about 6'3 and above in the first rnd.

Because when you always draft small player in the first rnd odds are you are creating a small mhl team that will get pushed around

Bring back Hunter!

Last 5 1st overall picks

Celebrini - 6'0
Bedard - 5'10
Slafkovsky - 6'3
Power - 6'6
Lafreinere - 6'1

Height is the most important attribute.

Can probably just sort them by height, shortest first, and just rank them that way.

Our first picks under Wes were 5'11, 6'1, and 6'2, wouldn't call that small, that comes out to basically the NHL average.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

First Round​

31: Ben Danford, D, Oshawa Generals
Hand: Right
Height: Six-foot-one
Weight: 194 pounds
Hometown: Madoc, Ont.
2023-24 stats: 1 goal, 32 assists in 64 games; 4 goals, 6 assists in 21 playoff games

Fourth Round​

120: Victor Johansson, D, Leksands IF (SHL)
Hand: Left
Weight: 159 147 pounds
Hometown: Linkoping, Sweden
2023-24 stats: 2 goals, 6 assists in 34 games; 0 goals, 1 assist in 5 playoff games

Fifth Round​

151: Miroslav Holinka, C, Trinec Ocelari (Czechia)
Weight: 187 pounds
Hometown: Kromeriz, Czechia
2023-24 stats: 20 goals, 21 assists in 29 games with U20 team; 6 goals, 8 assists in 15 playoff games with U20 team

152: Alexander Plesovskikh, F, Mamonty Yugry (MHL)
Height: Six-foot-two
Weight: 174 pounds
Hometown: Tyumen, Russia
2023-24 stats: 8 goals, 9 assists in 33 games; 0 goals, 1 assist in 6 playoff games

157: Timofei Obvintsev, G, CSKA (MHL)
Height: Six-foot-three
Weight: 179 pounds
Hometown: Yekaterinburg, Russia
2023-24 stats: 2.96 GAA, .921 save percentage in 16 games; 3.07 GAA, .908 save percentage in 2 playoff games

Seventh Round​

200: Matt Lahey, D, Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL)
Height: Six-foot-five
Weight: 203 pounds
Hometown: Victoria, B.C.
2023-24 stats: 2 goals, 17 points in 54 games; 0 goals, 0 assists in 5 playoff games

216: Sam McCue, F, Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
Height: Six-foot-two
Weight: 187 pounds
Hometown: Sudbury, Ont.
2023-24 stats: 12 goals, 9 assists in 34 games; 0 goals, 1 assist in 4 playoff games

216: Nathan Mayes, D, Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
Height: Six-foot-three
Weight: 170 pounds
Hometown: Salmon Arm, B.C.
2023-24 stats: 1 goal, 15 assists in 68 games; 0 goals, 0 assists in 4 playoff games

Reactions: Leaf Lander

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Guys that I'm confident will be full time NHL contributors at some point.

1. Eastan Cowan
2. Nikita Grebyonkin
3. Ben Danford
4. Miroslav Holinka
5. Fraser Minten

Guys that I am sneakily confident will wind up being NHL contributors...

Ryan Tverberg (Center, 5'11, 190lbs): In his first campaign with the Marlies he had 32 points in 46 games. If he can play 65'ish games with the Marlies this year I'm looking for a jump to 55-60 points. I won't be shocked if he's a staple in the bottom 6 by 24-25 years old if he can continue to get stronger and round out his game. Similar trajectory to Pontus Holmberg IMO, with higher upside as a scorer.

Jacob Quillan (Center / Right Wing, 6'0, 200lbs): Really high compete level. Position versatility and an NHL body. Still only 22 years old. I suspect he'll wind up being what we hoped Alex Steeves would be. A pickup from the college ranks that winds up being a bottom 6 steal. Patience is in order though. I'm expecting 2 full years of development with the Marlies before he's ready to make the jump at 24-25 years old.

Cade Webber (Defense, 6'7, 210lbs): With a body like his and the desire to block shots and do the dirty work in front of the net, I could see a late bloomer who plays 3rd pairing minutes and kills penalties. I could also see a matchup type #7 D-man that rotates in and out of the lineup for a while.

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

Clarke made 16 picks in his role with the Leafs and 13 of them are 6'1 or bigger. What are you talking about?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I would probably have Hildeby on that list somewhere.

Cowan
HIldeby
Minten
Danford
Webber

I love big hulking defensemen.

So does Treliving obviously. Hunter was always looking for the next Chara too. I had high hopes for a few of those guys he drafted.

It really sucked when Dubas traded and buried them all for guys like Hollowell instead.

So I'm happy to see a couple big defensemen in the system again. it's a nice change of pace from the Dubas directive of targeting skilled little guys. There's almost no chance Niemela makes this team now.

He probably won't even be in the system next summer.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
That's a reallly bleak list.
I would suspect that maybe 3 or 4 of those guys become full time NHLers?
The prospect pipeline is basically on drip feed at the moment, which is tough for an organization desperately in need of cheap cost controlled talent.

Reactions: Space umpire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad