Prospect Info: Leafs Prospect Question

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Clarke made 16 picks in his role with the Leafs and 13 of them are 6'1 or bigger. What are you talking about?
In the last draft the players being selected at the top end of the draft were much bigger then our guys
Sure we picked a 6'5 Defenseman in the 7th rnd but the odds of him making vs a 6'5 dman in the first rnd is much less likely. Thus our 6 foot 1 guy is much smaller then most of the bigger players taken in the first thus making us smaller again

Why are the leafs so slow to wake up to this trend

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's a reallly bleak list.
I would suspect that maybe 3 or 4 of those guys become full time NHLers?
The prospect pipeline is basically on drip feed at the moment, which is tough for an organization desperately in need of cheap cost controlled talent.

It's really up to the coach.

If the coach is afraid of the media and Toronto fans he won't risk developing prospects.

Kind of like fans who only want NHL ready prospects before the prospects have a chance to play in the NHL.

Kind of dumb eh?

You cannot be a proven NHL player while playing below the NHL.

They can only prove they are NHL ready while playing in the NHL, otherwise they're just proven minor league players who might be able to play in the NHL.

Courage, patience and a short memory.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
In the last draft the players being selected at the top end of the draft were much bigger then our guys
Sure we picked a 6'5 Defenseman in the 7th rnd but the odds of him making vs a 6'5 dman in the first rnd is much less likely. Thus our 6 foot 1 guy is much smaller then most of the bigger players taken in the first thus making us smaller again

6'1 isn't even small lol. Also these kids are teenagers. They aren't all done growing. For all we know, Danford could be 6'4 by this time next year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Leafs have to stop "going for it" if they want draft picks.

First round height ascending:

1721238327714.png

1721238420590.png

Attachments

• 1721238270093.png
    1721238270093.png
    602.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 1721238384492.png
    1721238384492.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 3

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
What can you say? No picks next year and 2nd and 4th in 2026 gone. We will fall behind. Even if you have all your picks, 2 players per draft is good. Your first has to count then you need to luck out on one more. We will be lucky to find one depth or goalie next year.

Outside of Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and Holinka at forward and Danford and Webber on D I don’t see any players with an NHL future. However there are a couple of goaltenders namely Hildeby and Akhtyamov who could play NHL minutes.

I’m not sold on Niemela. He needs to take a big step this season.
People were high on Niemela because he was all we had.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Outside of Cowan, Minten, Grebyonkin and Holinka at forward and Danford and Webber on D I don’t see any players with an NHL future. However there are a couple of goaltenders namely Hildeby and Akhtyamov who could play NHL minutes.

I’m not sold on Niemela. He needs to take a big step this season.
How you have Webber there but not Chadwick?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m not sold on Chadwick. He still needs some work on his defensive game.
But you believe Webber has NHL potential and Chadwick doesn't?

Just seems a premature prognosis, one has one strong attribute (blocking shots) and the other plays both defense and provides offense.

One is 23, one is 19 more than 4 years younger.

Of course one is 6'7", 208 lb., the other (we can both chuckle about this) 6'4", 200 lb. (at 19).

Being invited to the WJC summer camp is an indication that Chadwick is better than most other defenders his age in the CHL. They only invite the best.

Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad