Post-Game Talk: Leafs of Olde get stomped by bottom feeder : 6-2 CLB

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Gee, it's almost like all teams have bad games, and it was never about coaching.
Yup maybe it is the players/core and not just the coach.
That can be proven by the fact that multiple PP coaches and still the PP sucks.
Maybe these players just are not good enough

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They were due a stinker. Win two of the remaining 4 this month and go from there. I think it’s safe to say this year will be a grind.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the leafs don’t make atleast the conf final, and resign shanahan and marner, there would be no point in hoping for a cup for the foreseeable future
I don’t think the conference final is realistic for this group, without a few significant changes. It’s probably too late to do that now. Their D is still not at that level it needs to be and Rielly is looking worse than ever, and he’s supposed to be their 1D.

On the bright side, the rest of the East is still weak and only Ottawa is stepping up from the bottom dwellers so making the playoffs is almost a lock.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is for the “on pace” crowd
We are “on pace” for 93 points
Marner is “on pace” for 82 points
Going into the season 6-5 in October was considered a good start…. and they’re on pace to do that.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Having one playoff round win thus far in the marner, matthews and nylander era is pathetic. You can thank the shanaplan for being a crapaplan

Reactions: Al14

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Yup maybe it is the players/core and not just the coach.
That can be proven by the fact that multiple PP coaches and still the PP sucks.
Maybe these players just are not good enough

It's hockey...

This is for the “on pace” crowd
We are “on pace” for 93 points
Marner is “on pace” for 82 points

This is for the crowd who knows nothing about pace.

It's pointless in small sample sizes.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
As I said, they need to have a low scoring game in order to win in these back to backs because I knew they had exhausted themselves to beat TB.

After eight years, you would think fans would not be fooled by a few games.

Coaching is important but no amount of coaching will turn a zebra into a lion. The motto remains when speaking about Leaf changes "I will believe it when I see it".

The good news is that Berube seems determined to coach his way, so the players will either bend or they will have playing time cut and they will have the season to get it right.

As it were, in the real sports world in which franchises are determined to win and walk away from even their best players if it doesn't suit their objective; these players will be traded or left to simply walk. MLSE live in the world of printing money while their fans and the city are globally mocked for their blind loyalty.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Someone comments this after every loss. At what point does it not become a single game anymore?

Poor efforts against bad teams is very clearly a trend that goes back years with this core.

20 games in.

It is the same people saying how different it'll be under Berube and how he is the solution.

I don't think it is unique to this team, but I'd encourage someone to pull up the records of the top 10 teams vs the bottom 10 teams for the last 5 years and see how much worse we are.

I think their play over the first 7 games, as opposed to simply looking at one game, makes it pretty clear that the coaching change has been positive.

They've been good, but not great in the first 7 games.

I don't think there has been much of a difference.

The biggest change is the goalie has bailed them out a few times.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don’t think the conference final is realistic for this group, without a few significant changes. It’s probably too late to do that now. Their D is still not at that level it needs to be and Rielly is looking worse than ever, and he’s supposed to be their 1D.

On the bright side, the rest of the East is still weak and only Ottawa is stepping up from the bottom dwellers so making the playoffs is almost a lock.

If that's not realistic, then when the hell are they going to make a run? When the core is all 30, and making absurd money? So if it's not realistic now, then it will never be. The ship might have sailed then on this core. Remember, teams stop making runs once their core gets expensive. I wouldn't even begin negotiating with Marner unless he and the rest of them lead this team far this spring.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think their play over the first 7 games, as opposed to simply looking at one game, makes it pretty clear that the coaching change has been positive.
While I supported changing up the voice in the room, there's nothing about their play in the first 7 games that "makes it pretty clear that the coaching change has been positive", let alone the massive boost people pretended.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
While I supported changing up the voice in the room, there's nothing about their play in the first 7 games that "makes it pretty clear that the coaching change has been positive", let alone the massive boost people pretended.
I think you are placing too much emphasis on Stolartz and not enough on the fact that the Leafs have generally outplayed the opposition in every game other than last night's game. But no, they aren't going to finish 82-0, and games like last night happen.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

It has been. It's been obvious. Berube is also talking about the transition and tweaking during this process. These guys think the team does what they want and changes have done nothing. Most people see the change and don't just do the mindless thing and credit the goalie.

It's a lazy borderline troll not hockey conversation.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
20 games in.

It is the same people saying how different it'll be under Berube and how he is the solution.

I don't think it is unique to this team, but I'd encourage someone to pull up the records of the top 10 teams vs the bottom 10 teams for the last 5 years and see how much worse we are.

They've been good, but not great in the first 7 games.

I don't think there has been much of a difference.

The biggest change is the goalie has bailed them out a few times.
I would agree with you that normally this early into a season is too small a sample size, but like I said, this is a trend that goes back seasons.

I’m not one of those people who think Berube is the answer. I think it’s possible he turns the team around, but I don’t think it’s likely. Need to get rid of two of the core 4.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think you are placing too much emphasis on Stolartz and not enough on the fact that the Leafs have generally outplayed the opposition in every game other than last night's game. But no, they aren't going to finish 82-0, and games like last night happen.
It's been pretty common for the Leafs to outplay their opposition over the last 6-7 years, especially the past ~4

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If that's not realistic, then when the hell are they going to make a run? When the core is all 30, and making absurd money? So if it's not realistic now, then it will never be. The ship might have sailed then on this core. Remember, teams stop making runs once their core gets expensive. I wouldn't even begin negotiating with Marner unless he and the rest of them lead this team far this spring.

Not necessarily true. Tampa’s core was expensive but more evenly distributed. Same with Florida’s core and Vegas’s. Even Pittsburgh’s core was expensive for the time. I think the key to a good run is you have to have your cap well distributed and your depth players have to outperform their contracts. If you look at the last few cup winners, the stars were good but the depth players were outstanding. Marschy in Vegas, Barbashev in STL and Vegas, Bennett and Verhaghe for Florida, Gourde/Palat for Tampa.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Timing wise, after the Matthews draft, they should be in their window; however the core has always made too much money, and they didn’t draft enough pieces to fill in around them. Also they've never had a great defensive corps and I don’t think they do now, either. Not to mention, from what we’ve seen in 8 yrs, nobody knows if Matthews Marner and Nylander are good enough to win in the playoffs. It’s still really hard to win and we don’t know if they have the will and skill to push through.

On the bright side, the East isn’t great and so far they are playing much more entertaining hockey this season.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's been pretty common for the Leafs to outplay their opposition over the last 6-7 years, especially the past ~4
Not early in the season it hasn't been. In fact, very much the opposite to start seasons. But it's the nature of this place. One night earlier everyone was tripping over themselves to say how great the team was against Tampa. Just as it was an over-reaction to that game, so is today an over-reaction to the Columbus game.

On the bright side, the East isn’t great and so far they are playing much more entertaining hockey this season.
In particular, the Atlantic is looking like it has come down to the rest of the league. Florida and Boston look very ordinary.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think you are placing too much emphasis on what you hoped going into the season, instead of what's actually happening. You are correct that we are not going to finish 82-0, and yes, games like last night happen to every team (and it has nothing to do with any of the things people like to point at), but we have not outplayed the opposition in every game (at least not more than we usually do), and goaltending had been masking some issues.

So far, overall, we are on a 94 point pace. 17th in xGF%. 15th in defense. 15th in offense. 13th in offensive chance generation. And it's not like the teams we've played have been super difficult. Stolarz being among the league leaders in GSAx has really helped us.

It's very early, and there's not really a need to be concerned yet, but that doesn't mean pretending like everything has been sunshine and roses and better.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not early in the season it hasn't been. In fact, very much the opposite to start seasons. But it's the nature of this place. One night earlier everyone was tripping over themselves to say how great the team was against Tampa. Just as it was an over-reaction to that game, so is today an over-reaction to the Columbus game.

In particular, the Atlantic is looking like it has come down to the rest of the league. Florida and Boston look very ordinary.
I felt that Florida would take a slight step back after winning and Boston won on goaltending last year and wouldn’t continue at the same pace this season, which makes it almost a lock for the Leafs to make the playoffs.
Hopefully it’s a battle all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad