Proposal: Leafs-NYI and Leafs-Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
If we’re trading arguably our top prospect to a division rival like the Habs I want to get back more than a 3rd line shutdown guy

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Ok 1st deal is with the Isles for Mayfield, they need a LHD with some offense and systems wise can make good use of bigger slower guys.
Mayfield to the Leafs
Dermott+Robertson+Ritche to the Isles

If any team can turn Ritche around its the Isles
even if they have to keep Ritche scratched they do pretty good.

the 2nd deal is , not sure but I think Amirov fits the Habs more than Robertson
Amirov+2nd to the Habs for Lehkonen
This Hab fan easily passes on any trade that helps the Leafs.

Reactions: miscs75

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Isn’t he the kind of player that would have helped Toronto get over Montreal last playoff? No offense to the Simmonds, Galchenyuk & Spezza of this world but Lehkonen is the kind of player who can shut down the opponents top players, you know, which is also kind if important (it’s not just about scoring goals).

As for the offer itself, I would prefer a first round pick and a lesser prospect. Not that big of a fan of Amirov

Nope. This is the exact reason why they signed Kampf (Danault lite). They don't need a 3rd line full of defensive players. As you can see by the lines currently they are going for scoring depth throughout the line up. Luckily the Leafs are still deep enough to pull this off. Kampf has been the shutdown player for the 3rd line and is doing well. If a 1st is being spent, it will be for a top 4 defenseman which is the greatest need. Not a 3rd line defensive winger.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for even a 1st for Lehkonen. I think a 2nd + 3rd is about the top of his value, and that's only because he's controllable.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If I'm targeting any forward from the Habs it would be Paquette to help the PK.

PK is HUGE come playoff time

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was more like Price and Daneault but hey hopefully everyone thinks like you i have no issues with that.
Price ,Danault , Weber , Edmundson , Petry , Chiarot , Lehkonen were all the reasons Mathews, Marner only scored one goal.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Dermott is better than your are giving him credit for and Robertson is a good prospect. Most other people seem to thing these are more than fair
Dermott is a 6-7 on a team trying to improve its defense. This trade pushes Holl to the 3rd pairing and Dermott to the press box. Robertson is small, oft injured and a while good he’s pretty much a guy every team has a few of. Then add a cap dump.
Name me the piece that actually makes NYI want to move a top 4 Dman?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Dermott is a 6-7 on a team trying to improve its defense. This trade pushes Holl to the 3rd pairing and Dermott to the press box. Robertson is small, oft injured and a while good he’s pretty much a guy every team has a few of. Then add a cap dump.
Name me the piece that actually makes NYI want to move a top 4 Dman?
Dermott would be going to the Islanders in this deal. He’s about as useless as Chara is when retrieving pucks in his corner. Barry doesn’t need another #6/7 guy to work with alongside Chara, Aho and Hickey (who’s in Bridgeport nonetheless). The trade is absolutely awful and one sided as usual.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I remember that OT in game 6 that was ALL Price
Sure Price was great but also in games 5 ,6 ,7 Mathews , Marner looked beyond frustrated playing against the Danault line and Weber, Edmundson ,Petry , Chiarot.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Isles will get a better deal elsewhere without having to take on a salary dump.
If Dubas wants Mayfield, he probably starts with Robertson and based on what New York is looking for decide if it's worth what he needs to add on.

Then Dubas would have to find another team to take on Ritchie's contract. With Mayfield coming in he can probably then find a new home for Dermott fairly easily.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Ok 1st deal is with the Isles for Mayfield, they need a LHD with some offense and systems wise can make good use of bigger slower guys.
Mayfield to the Leafs
Dermott+Robertson+Ritche to the Isles

If any team can turn Ritche around its the Isles
even if they have to keep Ritche scratched they do pretty good.

the 2nd deal is , not sure but I think Amirov fits the Habs more than Robertson
Amirov+2nd to the Habs for Lehkonen

Trying to understand the logic here...

On the Isles deal... from a Toronto "roster" standpoint -- it's Dermott for Mayfield. Save $50k in AAV. Contracts expire at the same time with 1 more season to go. Trade a 25 year old, left shot two-way #5/4 defenceman, for a 29 year old right shot, #4/5 big physical defenceman. I get why the Leafs do this deal -- Mayfield is certainly a much "rarer" skillset than Travis Dermott, and almost certainly worth adding perhaps a small piece to the mix as well, but Robertson? I just can't see it... I think the only way a guy like Robertson gets involved is if the Leafs have a different deal for Dermott, perhaps Robertson for Mayfield, and then a pick for Dermott kind of thing.

In the Habs deal... I guess it's a follow up with the roster implication being Ritchie out, and Lekhonen in. While Ritchie has certainly not worked out the way the Leafs had hoped, I'm not so sure they're prepared to give up on the 'why' they got him in the first place -- which is of course to be able to play a "different brand" of hockey in the playoffs should that need arise.

Lehkonen is a good player, but I'm not really sure that he brings anything the Leafs don't already have an abundance of with Bunting, Kerfoot, Kase, Mikheyev & Engvall on the wings. Realistically, the Leafs can probably look at adding 1 forward if Ritchie is going out. I just can't see Lehkonen being it.

Overall, the 2 deals save the Leafs $250k in cap. Right now, the Leafs total cap hit is $81.15m, leaving $350k in space with Ritchie on the taxi squad. Bringing Ritchie back puts them at $82.275m. Even with the $250k in savings from these 2 deals, the Leafs would still be stuck running a 21-man roster, and either demoting Liljegren or putting another forward on waivers.

Reactions: Deadly Dogma

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Trying to understand the logic here...

On the Isles deal... from a Toronto "roster" standpoint -- it's Dermott for Mayfield. Save $50k in AAV. Contracts expire at the same time with 1 more season to go. Trade a 25 year old, left shot two-way #5/4 defenceman, for a 29 year old right shot, #4/5 big physical defenceman. I get why the Leafs do this deal -- Mayfield is certainly a much "rarer" skillset than Travis Dermott, and almost certainly worth adding perhaps a small piece to the mix as well, but Robertson? I just can't see it... I think the only way a guy like Robertson gets involved is if the Leafs have a different deal for Dermott, perhaps Robertson for Mayfield, and then a pick for Dermott kind of thing.

In the Habs deal... I guess it's a follow up with the roster implication being Ritchie out, and Lekhonen in. While Ritchie has certainly not worked out the way the Leafs had hoped, I'm not so sure they're prepared to give up on the 'why' they got him in the first place -- which is of course to be able to play a "different brand" of hockey in the playoffs should that need arise.

Lehkonen is a good player, but I'm not really sure that he brings anything the Leafs don't already have an abundance of with Bunting, Kerfoot, Kase, Mikheyev & Engvall on the wings. Realistically, the Leafs can probably look at adding 1 forward if Ritchie is going out. I just can't see Lehkonen being it.

Overall, the 2 deals save the Leafs $250k in cap. Right now, the Leafs total cap hit is $81.15m, leaving $350k in space with Ritchie on the taxi squad. Bringing Ritchie back puts them at $82.275m. Even with the $250k in savings from these 2 deals, the Leafs would still be stuck running a 21-man roster, and either demoting Liljegren or putting another forward on waivers.
Dermott is a #6 lhd. On what planet is he worth anywhere near much as a rhd #3-4 with a steal of a contract? Age doesn't make up for the other factors.

I'm guessing Dubas would love to ditch Ritchie and replace that salary with a better player. Ritchie kind of sucks.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Dermott is a #6 lhd. On what planet is he worth anywhere near much as a rhd #3-4 with a steal of a contract? Age doesn't make up for the other factors.

I'm guessing Dubas would love to ditch Ritchie and replace that salary with a better player. Ritchie kind of sucks.

Calling Dermott a #6 and Mayfield a #3-4 is certainly disingenuous. If anything, Mayfield's a #4 who should probably be a #5 in some situations, and Dermott is a #5 who can play in the top 4 in some situations. Age obviously in favour of Dermott, rarity obviously in favour of Mayfield. If the deal is straight up, of course the Leafs do it. They probably add as well. I just don't see the add as being Nick Robertson.

With respect to Nick Ritchie, it's find the replacement player first, THEN if you find one, get rid of Ritchie. As I mentioned, the Leafs can really only add 1 forward with Ritchie's cap space. I don't think Lehkonen fits what they need / should be looking for.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Calling Dermott a #6 and Mayfield a #3-4 is certainly disingenuous. .
How so? Mayfield has been a staple in the Islanders top 4, which is one of the deepest d cores in the league. Islanders have been a top 3 defensive team for the last 2-3 years. He's currently on their top pair fwiw...

Dermott is a regular healthy scratch on a Leafs defense that is average to below average. Dermott was promising at one point, but he seems to have been passed over by multiple dmen in the leafs system like Sandin, Liljegren, Holl.

Mayfield is a significantly better player as of now. The add would be something pretty big, like a 1st round pick of value. Mayfield is also the type of player every playoff team is looking for at the deadline, and that GM's overpay for during this time. Dermott types get traded for mid round picks all the time.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Mayfield trade is good, he’s an upgrade over Dermott across the board and he shoots right, I’m not married to Robertson and Ritchie is Ritchie, his most obvious skill is taking a penalty 16 seconds into a power play.

I’d even add but not a 1st.

I like Lehkonen but that feels like too much, Amirov has good upside and the Leafs have no picks.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Calling Dermott a #6 and Mayfield a #3-4 is certainly disingenuous. If anything, Mayfield's a #4 who should probably be a #5 in some situations, and Dermott is a #5 who can play in the top 4 in some situations. Age obviously in favour of Dermott, rarity obviously in favour of Mayfield. If the deal is straight up, of course the Leafs do it. They probably add as well. I just don't see the add as being Nick Robertson.

With respect to Nick Ritchie, it's find the replacement player first, THEN if you find one, get rid of Ritchie. As I mentioned, the Leafs can really only add 1 forward with Ritchie's cap space. I don't think Lehkonen fits what they need / should be looking for.
If you simply added Mayfield to the Leafs he joins the 2nd pairing and Dermott joins the press box.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
How so? Mayfield has been a staple in the Islanders top 4, which is one of the deepest d cores in the league. Islanders have been a top 3 defensive team for the last 2-3 years. He's currently on their top pair fwiw...

Dermott is a regular healthy scratch on a Leafs defense that is average to below average. Dermott was promising at one point, but he seems to have been passed over by multiple dmen in the leafs system like Sandin, Liljegren, Holl.

Mayfield is a significantly better player as of now. The add would be something pretty big, like a 1st round pick of value. Mayfield is also the type of player every playoff team is looking for at the deadline, and that GM's overpay for during this time. Dermott types get traded for mid round picks all the time.

Yes he has, by virtue of playing with a really well suited partner in Adam Pelech. Similar to how Justin Holl sticks around in Toronto's top 4 by virtue of being a really good fit with Jake Muzzin.

Dermott's never really had that luxury; finding himself behind the likes of Rielly & Gardiner, then Rielly & Muzzin on the left side, and now with 2 younger, shinier, prospects coming up from underneath. He's a victim of his reasonably common skillset -- but that doesn't make him a substantially inferior defenceman.

As for the quality of the respective D-cores... the Islanders are 5th best in GAA, and Toronto, 6th best. Shots against Toronto is 12th best, Islanders are 15th best. On the surface, they're pretty much on par with each other.

Like I said, I could see Robertson for Mayfield.... but Robertson isn't the "add" on top of Travis Dermott.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad