Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
I think the cap space is the asset, he'd basically be an own rental.
Trading Willie now is essentially giving up on the season, I don't see it happening. Mitch isn't gonna waive his NTC for anything...he has it too good here.

You really have to give it to the players and their agents, they literally have all the leverage in this situation. Incredible what Boston, Tampa were able to do by setting up internal caps and having players adhere to them.
This team sorta sucks though... We're not giving up the season, it's already quite clearly not going well. And it was quite clearly not going to go well coming into it. Not trying to be a doomer but a retool would have been the smart choice last off season. Tre better living centre is just a pawn though, the organization will settle for a few more PO games worth of profit in exchange for year over year mediocrity

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Scion

May 25, 2012
The way they have been playing and the goalie situation their season is already in doubt
They still have a firm hold of 3rd in the Atlantic with games in hand on everyone. The goalie situation sucks, but this is the Leafs and they go through this literally every year in net.

Reactions: Kurtz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
One of the VERY few losses this year where I didn't really have a problem with the goaltending, possibly even the only loss.

The first one wasn't great I thought Jones could have, maybe even should have had that, but after that he was solid This one was not on goaltending.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
We can't do anything. The choice is up to the Leafs front office and it's abundantly clear that they are not going to trade Nylander and throw away their season.

You’re right. Let’s keep Nylander so he can guide us to a first round exit. Can’t risk throwing away the season with.. a 1st round exit?

We have had Nylander for 7 full seasons and have 6 1st round exits and 5 games in the second round to show for it.

Let’s not keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You’re right. Let’s keep Nylander so he can guide us to a first round exit. Can’t risk throwing away the season with.. a 1st round exit?

We have had Nylander for 7 full seasons and have 6 1st round exits and 5 games in the second round to show for it.

Let’s not keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.
So why can't that apply to Marner? He's been also there the entire time.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So why can't that apply to Marner? He's been also there the entire time.

Marner has a full NMC straight to UFA. So does Matthews. So does Tavares. So does Rielly.

There’s one core guy we have the option of trading but everyone wants to trade the ones we can’t. Besides, Marner has outplayed Nylander every single year of his career except this one so far.

Sure if Marner wants to do us a favour and waive the NMC he negotiated to go to any team we should explore that also. I’m being realistic though instead of praying Marner wants to freely waive the NMC he negotiated for.

Marner is less likely to waive his NMC because he’s born here and his wife is from here. If we don’t want him, he’s not going to be doing the team any favours - as his RFA negotiations have shown.

Last edited:

Scion

May 25, 2012

We haven't won so let's get rid of the guy who has arguably been our best forward in the playoffs and that will make us better. Makes perfect sense...

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner has a full NMC straight to UFA. So does Matthews. So does Tavares. So does Rielly.

There’s one core guy we have the option of trading but everyone wants to trade the ones we can’t. Besides, Marner has outplayed Nylander every single year of his career except this one so far.

Sure if Marner wants to do us a favour and waive the NMC he negotiated to go to any team we should explore that also. I’m being realistic though instead of praying Marner wants to freely waive the NMC he negotiated for.

Marner is less likely to waive his NMC because he’s born here and his wife is from here. If we don’t want him, he’s not going to be doing the team any favours - as his RFA negotiations have shown.
Then press box him.
We see players waive their NTC and NMC all the time, don’t see why our players won’t do it for the team.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You are the only one suggesting this. The Leafs can resign the big 3 and improve the defense. They are not mutually exclusive.
They actually are mutually exclusive because the only way they can sign the big 3 and improve the defence would be if the formers don’t ask for a significant raise.

Can you see that happening? Because I sure as hell can’t. Especially with Pauly boy whispering sweet nothings into his boy’s ear daily about how great he is and how his shit doesn’t stink.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They still have a firm hold of 3rd in the Atlantic with games in hand on everyone. The goalie situation sucks, but this is the Leafs and they go through this literally every year in net.
They do go thru this every year and the crap out in the playoffs every year but I was hoping for better after 5 years with this crappy core.
there has been zero improvement over that time. Why have we made them some of the highest paid players in the league ?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We haven't won so let's get rid of the guy who has arguably been our best forward in the playoffs and that will make us better. Makes perfect sense...
Not to mention who’s been improving the most of the bunch

Reactions: Scion

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

It’s lunacy that this keeps needing to be repeated over and over again.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You don't think the Blackhawks would offer Nylander 10M? I think several teams with cap space would do 7x10M. Honestly, I think the Leafs would sign that today if that were the price. You have to remember the cap could go up by as much as 8M in the next two years, 10M is not going to be the same % of the cap as its been in the past. Furthermore, you still have to spend that money somewhere. Who can the Leafs allocate that money on that makes them better in your opinion?

In a year JT's 11M comes off the books, where that money is spent will likely determine how good this team is. I also think the Leafs need to draw a hard line in the sand with Marner and not give him a significant raise over what he already earns.
I agree. I just hope Shanahan sees it that way too. Unfortunately I think Marner gets the same type of raise as Matthews got.

Reactions: mikeyz

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Boys gonna be loading up on frequent fyer points. What a brutal January, travel wise.

1704118355163.png

• Wow

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Well, I am strictly talking about the Columbus series. Which was his first series in his first season. Only about 40 NHL games due to COVID. You have to give anyone some rope in their first season.
A leopard doesn’t change his spots. Keefe will continue to overplay the core players anytime the team is behind, regardless of how poor their play has been, and sit the players who have been playing great. As well, he will hold players like Kampf “accountable” while allowing Marner to shit the bed! Keefe has to go, but even more so, Shanahan needs to go, and this will not happen. The Leafs franchise continues to make a boatload of money, even though they have only won one playoff round with this “vaunted” core. Make no mistake, MLSE is all about making money. If they ever win, that’s just icing on the cake to them!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Thats not a good reason to keep Marner. Nylander has also outplayed Marner in the playoffs which is the main point.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Well, I am strictly talking about the Columbus series. Which was his first series in his first season. Only about 40 NHL games due to COVID. You have to give anyone some rope in their first season.
A leopard doesn’t change his spots. Keefe will continue to overplay the core players anytime the team is behind, regardless of how poor their play has been, and sit the players who have been playing great. As well, he will hold players like Kampf “accountable” while allowing Marner to shit the bed! Keefe has to go, but even more so, Shanahan needs to go, and this will not happen. The Leafs franchise continues to make a boatload of money, even though they have only won one playoff round with this “vaunted” core. I don’t think things are going to change anytime soon.
Then press box him.
We see players waive their NTC and NMC all the time, don’t see why our players won’t do it for the team.
i agree, but to me, it’s Shanahan who needs to make this happen. It’s no secret how he feels about his “core” players, with possibly the exception of Nylander (Keefe is allowed to single him out).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad