Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Looks like the people who hated using the goalie as a reason a team lost is now using the goalie as the reason the team lost, interesting.

Anyway, it was a fairly even game, but Leafs had the slight edge, they played really well in the 2nd half of the game.

Matthews and Nylander combined for 17 shots, a lot of good chances by both.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Looks like the people who hated using the goalie as a reason a team lost is now using the goalie as the reason the team lost, interesting.

Anyway, it was a fairly even game, but Leafs had the slight edge, they played really well in the 2nd half of the game.

Matthews and Nylander combined for 17 shots, a lot of good chances by both.
Damn that generational Korpisalo and his year after year vezinas. Goalied by the best that year, no question.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Someone correct this if it's wrong but if you add the last month of last season, the playoffs vs BOS and now these five games, I think our PP over that stretch is something like 8 - 64.

Has it been figured out? There's just no way we should be struggling this badly to score 5v4.

Reactions: TMLAM34

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Not nearly good enough from about mid-way of the first through the second. Got some shots, controlled the puck but no one was going to the dirty areas, at least not when it mattered.

Great push in the third. Dominated them from start to finish. Too little too late I would say. But even through the first 2 periods, no complaints about the effort, just not great execution.

If we play the right way for a full 60, it is a team we can beat even with Shesterkin on his game.

PP is a f***ing disgrace. I have been a big JT supporter since he joined the team, that 3rd from him was complete nonsense. Turnovers, fumbling the puck. Not good enough.

I know you can't boil the game down to these two sequences, but the Rangers when on the 6-on-5 (delayed penalty) were going for a goal. We (once Marner got the puck in the offensive zone) all just stood still, zero intentions.

Knies after what I felt was a shaky first two was good in the third.

We also had no puck luck.

They'd better be ready for another solid opponent on Monday!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
All meaningless ……because we lost. I bet the Rangers aren’t talking about Corsi right now, they are celebrating………because they won
1729391394944.jpeg

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
It’s refreshing to have a couple of legitimate power forwards in Knies and McMann, the former is looking really really good thus far………
the guy that tried to check knies and fell on his ass is 6'5 and 230lbs lol. he is going to be a damn monster if he isnt already.

Reactions: arso40

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Who cares. First 15 games they are figuring out the season and new Team under a new coach.
I mean, it matters... it's just not the be-all-end-all. I think we have seen that they are willing to buy into the coaches plan. Defensively they have been light years ahead of any season since Matthews joined the team.

They were lazy offensively tonight. That was not a system issue, or a learning issue. No bodies in the dirty areas until the 3rd. Yes, Shesterkin was good, but we didn't make it very hard on him generally speaking.

It's probably a game you should win at home. I figure they lose on Monday too and then we've got a 'thing' on our hands lol

Reactions: horner

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
PP is a f***ing disgrace. I have been a big JT supporter since he joined the team, that 3rd from him was complete nonsense. Turnovers, fumbling the puck. Not good enough.
You literally can't defend JT nowadays. He's a complete blackhole wherever he is in the lineup. Whoever was still calling him a "quality #2C" in the offseason has no f***ing idea what they're talking about, this guy is COOKED.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
You literally can't defend JT nowadays. He's a complete blackhole wherever he is in the lineup. Whoever was still calling him a "quality #2C" in the offseason has no f***ing idea what they're talking about, this guy is COOKED.
Has a flash here and there, but in the flows of the game, man, it's bad. So many turnovers, battles lost, and most of those between the blue lines or just inside. Like, that was a terrible pass from Willy with the goalie out, but you have to be able to do something with that puck, even if you bump it down to the corner. It's a bummer, because we need him to be at least decent for this to work this season.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Our biggest issue continues to plague us... we aren't making it tough enough on these goalies. Our skilled players hold the puck for too long. They're good enough to get the puck into high danger ice, but the goalies know exactly where it's coming from.

Lateral puck movement, one-touch passes and bodies in front. That's the key. Our best players rag the puck and everyone on the ice knows where the play is developing.

This is why we make mid goalies look elite and elite goalies look unbeatable

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Disappointed in the loss, it felt like our first game against Montreal. We controlled more of the game and had the better chances, but just couldn’t bury enough. Really great game by Shesterkin, got to tip your hat tonight. NYR played well in front of him too. We need to be better.

PP cost us. Look how fast the NYR moved the puck on their first PP. Their PP was more dangerous than ours. We’re still too slow and holding onto the puck too long.

Stolarz still looks solid.

Top line was really on. Domi line looked good too. Need more from that 3rd line.

Thought Timmins was pretty good tonight. Moved quick and made some nice breakout passes.

All in all, a good game despite the result. Just need to keep building and improving.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Tavares is f***ing garbage. 4th line for rest of season and he better not be resigned.

We got goalied tonight. Happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad