Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-1

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Aside from our PP being ass, this was a solid and competitive game. Shesterkin put on a clinic, can’t do much about that.
Sure you can, get some asses in front of him. Crowd the net. The Matthews goal was proof of that. Look at most of the shots from the first two periods, zero impedance.

We have to be better in that area plus what you said about the PP, so true.

Still, like you, not disappointed with the effort, especially defensively.

Reactions: mjd1001

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Hey guys, Leafs looked like they are still caught between the old and new styles.

It'll get ironed out.

Hope you are all doing well.
I agree with this. They aren’t jumping in fast enough, still looking for the extra pass, although not as much as before. No contact on the Rangers’ D, who kept getting up on us and blocking shooting lanes. ( Credit them for that.)

And we might want to consider getting on the crease against a goalie like that and shooting through a screen.

Reactions: kb

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
2/16 on the PP this season, 1/21 in the playoffs, so for the past 12 games they are 3/37, which is about 8%. No no, we should keep marner and JT though

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
Great game by the leafs tonight. Sucks that they lost but they played good. Tavares is just a guy now. Where Tavares is where everyone knew he would be in his last year of the contract.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Sure you can, get some asses in front of him. Crowd the net. The Matthews goal was proof of that. Look at most of the shots from the first two periods, zero impedance.

Agree.
Yeah he's a great goalie but often times in any given game a goalie looks great because the opposing team can 'help' him look great.

As you said, if he's handling all the mid range shots, crash the net, make it so guys are laying down all over the ice in front of him. Screens.

It may not be as 'fun' to play that way, its going to be harder work, and you aren't going to get the prettier goals, but when you are facing a goalie who is on, 'level the playing field'.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Agree.
Yeah he's a great goalie but often times in any given game a goalie looks great because the opposing team can 'help' him look great.

As you said, if he's handling all the mid range shots, crash the net, make it so guys are laying down all over the ice in front of him. Screens.

It may not be as 'fun' to play that way, its going to be harder work, and you aren't going to get the prettier goals, but when you are facing a goalie who is on, 'level the playing field'.
Exactly. Credit though to the Rangers, as this is a key part of their game plan. It will take harder work and maybe a little less fun, but that is what it will take. History has proven so.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Tavares has 2 pts in 5 games, but he should have 0. He has been horrific. Easily the worst player in the top 9

Rielly has been crap offensively and defensively. Consistently icing the puck when not pressured, horrible board play defending, looking flat footed often. He is playing like hes ready to fall off a cliff and become a bottom pairing guy the nest 15 months

Nylander, Marner and Matthews are playing Just OK. Chances need to be converted, marner needs to stop being an overpasser and far distance shooter, nylander needs to slow down and look to create for his line mates, matthews needs to observe the ice better and try to utilize his wingers more often

The defense + goaltending has been great, the core 5 guys are failing very early into the year offensively.

Need to turn it around as the season goes on

Reactions: wingman75

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The power play is still a non factor and playing your 4th line in the last few minutes down a goal, more than once, is a decision...

They played an ok game though.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Tavares has 2 pts in 5 games, but he should have 0. He has been horrific. Easily the worst player in the top 9

Rielly has been crap offensively and defensively. Consistently icing the puck when not pressured, horrible board play defending, looking flat footed often. He is playing like hes ready to fall off a cliff and become a bottom pairing guy the nest 15 months

Nylander, Marner and Matthews are playing Just OK. Chances need to be converted, marner needs to stop being an overpasser and far distance shooter, nylander needs to slow down and look to create for his line mates, matthews needs to observe the ice better and try to utilize his wingers more often

The defense + goaltending has been great, the core 5 guys are failing very early into the year offensively.

Need to turn it around as the season goes on
But we've seen this for a number of years. In the playoffs we can all agree the team has played very good if not great defensively. And, every single time when the team plays like that, the offence dries up, even with these super star forwards. No one should be surprised. But, they're going to have to figure out how to balance the defensive responsibilities and score.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Stolarz’s effectiveness to start the year let to a collective stopping of the hearts of Leafs fans tuned in when, twice during the game, play was stopped with Stolarz appearing to have trouble standing up and moving around without assistance. And, in both instances, it was proven to be an equipment-related issue. He elaborated on the issue when talking to the media postgame.

“I looked down, and kinda just saw a skate inside my pad, and it was Benny’s skate that got up in there, and I kind of felt something,” Stolarz said. “I wear those cut-proof socks, I had an incident back in junior so maybe a little PTSD there. didn’t know if I felt anything or if it was just the adrenaline, so I just kind of wanted to make sure there was no cut.”

It may have been immediate relief for the fans to see that he wasn’t injured, especially after Joseph Woll’s injury prior to the season opener, but the fact that there was no whistle was an annoyance for the Maple Leafs’ goaltender.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Dallas is a close second imo……..
I'd say Shesty and Helly are best in the business. Is that a brown dobie?

On goalies, Stolarz has been pretty solid but might have a bit of a rebound issue.

Probably a decent chance that this is the conference final match-up. Shesterkin showed why the Rangers will pay him $11+ million per season.
Shesty has had dominant numbers as far back as it goes. He's as safe as a goaltending bet can get. Rags will work it but he's getting paid whatever it takes.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The Leafs special teams STINK.

I can understand why they would want to run a diamond pk instead of the wedge+1. But the execution is horrendous. Not to mention the deployment of offensive first players like Matthews.

Putting him in a situation where he's virtually guaranteed to not score the entire shift is bad enough.

But then to use him on the wrong side for the power play is doubling down on stupidity. Both Matthews and Nylander should be on their off-wings to start every pp so they can be in place for the one-timer. If there's nothing available then start circling the zone looking for alternatives.

Tavares has been reduced to making entries on the stretch pass only.

Otherwise it looks like he's been instructed to dump it in. Doesn't look like they trust him to carry it through the neutral zone anymore. An $11M third line centre who can't play pk and shouldn't be on the pp.

It's reason like these their first game against a real contender this year and the outcome was never really in doubt.

Reactions: LeafEgo

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
The Leafs special teams STINK.

I can understand why they would want to run a diamond pk instead of the wedge+1. But the execution is horrendous. Not to mention the deployment of offensive first players like Matthews.

Putting him in a situation where he's virtually guaranteed to not score the entire shift is bad enough.

But then to use him on the wrong side for the power play is doubling down on stupidity. Both Matthews and Nylander should be on their off-wings to start every pp so they can be in place for the one-timer. If there's nothing available then start circling the zone looking for alternatives.

Tavares has been reduced to making entries on the stretch pass only.

Otherwise it looks like he's been instructed to dump it in. Doesn't look like they trust him to carry it through the neutral zone anymore. An $11M third line centre who can't play pk and shouldn't be on the pp.

It's reason like these their first game against a real contender this year and the outcome was never really in doubt.
Good stuff as always but that was a hard fought game, just didn't get this one - Willy should have sunk something. Surprisingly there is a lot to be optimistic about this year.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Is everyone shitting on Tavares now that they have the green light. Nylander pissed me off this game more than anyone.
Willy had so many looks but seemed to let Shesterkin in his head. Just trying to be too fine with it. His turnover at the end of the game was obviously brutal but for everything he does I'm not mad about the odd mistake

Tavares on the other hand loses way too many 50/50 battles. Great 3rd line center (cap hit aside) but I think his time is up on PP1.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Any time you are getting “goalied” the first task is to take away the goalie’s clear vision and physical comfort and let the chips fall where they may.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares is a liability on the 3rd line, even 4th line. Its a skaters league and his first 3 strides are horrible. He still has decent hands, but the rest is a mess. U cant forecheck if u cant skate, cant backcheck. He gets trapped and loses the puck constantly, doesnt matter what line he is put on.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Any time you are getting “goalied” the first task is to take away the goalie’s clear vision and physical comfort and let the chips fall where they may.

In MTL they crash your net. Took our tenders out a few times in recent memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad