Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Stolarz played well.
It isn't like the Habs only had 8 shots on net.

1728572641818.png

Reactions: The Management

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ran into a super hot and lucky goalie. It happens. We outplayed them by a significant margin. My biggest pro's from this game?....all of our new acquisitions looked really good

Chris Tanev --- Exactly as advertised. Defense incredible. Blocked shots....etc
OEL --- Loved his game. Skill and puck moving abilities were really good. Also physical and gritty
Paccioretty -- More physical than a thought. He ded uses his size and you can see his offensive flare is there
Lorentz ---- Just a perfect 4th line center so far. Big, physical and fast

These guys are gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs and give us an element we've been sorely lacking

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Ran into a super hot and lucky goalie
This is the part that I just don't agree with. Montembault made 48 saves, played well, and got lucky with posts, sure, but they really weren't 5-star, reminds you of Latvian goaltenders against Canada, kinds of saves. I thought Stolarz was terrific and made as many, if not more big saves. Felt like he had to deal with more cross-seam movement and rebounds than Montembault did. Good signs for us if Stolarz can be this reliable.

I agree with your assessments on our newcomers.

Reactions: Kurtz

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ran into a super hot and lucky goalie. It happens. We outplayed them by a significant margin. My biggest pro's from this game?....all of our new acquisitions looked really good

OEL --- Loved his game. Skill and puck moving abilities were really good. Also physical and gritty
Paccioretty -- More physical than a thought. He ded uses his size and you can see his offensive flare is there

These guys are gonna be a difference maker in the playoffs and give us an element we've been sorely lacking

As they say, the goalie is part of the team.

Result was definitely impacted by one player, but Habs defense played well enough to limit open nets. Habs goal was an open net.
1728573746946.png

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Playoffs start in 6 months, come back then.

But you're already making the excuses now. Leafs get goalied every year, right? You sound like the stripped Captain. "We had our chances, we're right there!"

Can't beat anyone in reality, though.*

*Unless floaters from the point randomly go in through 7 screens.

Reactions: rumman

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Pitiful and embarrassing performance against a horrible opponent. This team has no desire to impose their will on anybody.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
No, I think he's mostly right. Other than "Nylander was soft" (he seems to have a real hate on for Willy) it's pretty accurate - JT and Domi were useless and Willy was basically having to play by himself.

The top line wasn't particularly good, but at least it was a line.
When the best players at every position are on 1 line it better be more than just a line colorado and edmonton dont have atleast it was a line you have to bring it or staccin the line makes zero sense

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He doesn't do much with the additional size, is slower and makes some pretty amateur mistakes in his own zone from a lack of experience.

In the end they are both marginal NHLer's. Size is a thing for some coaches, regardless if they are bangers and crashers.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
If Timmins was actually better why wasn't he ever played over him in 2 years leading into this season? 3 preseason games should not supersede a much larger sample size. There is not one defenseman on this team that is perfect. Rielly has good offensive instincts but a weak shot and is one of our worst defensive players, McCabe is probably our most well rounded defenseman but can be undisciplined, Tanev is amazing defensively but has injury problems, Benoit can't move the puck, Timmins is trash defensively and injured all the time, etc. Liljegren does a lot of good things to soften the blow of his weak board play and net front presence and basically every stat over the last 3 years proves it.
the guys 10 lbs heavier that shouldnt be an issue anymore and i watched a smaller player bump timmins off the pucc and out of position i get hes a million dollar player but there not even close in terms of where their games are today and that slash he took would have been an entry denial lily is the best on the team in that regard

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The 4th line did some of that
One cancelations we did hit 3 post.
But you are rightbalot of perimeter play and not enough netbfront presents especially in the pp.
Bertuzzi he was great at th3 just gonto the net.
Knies needs ylyondo fhat
I think the biggest problem with the PP is that JT as the 'net front presence' is standing to the side looking for a tip-in or rebound, rather than trying to screen the goalie.

Add to that Rielly's mediocre point shot and Marner's 'force a pass to Matty' priority, and they struggle, even when they do make a clean entry.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With a competent PP, they win that game.

Overall they looking like a team adjusting to a new coach, playing a bit tentative and missing normally easy passes at times. But they also showed a lot of poise defensively on the road and really held control of the game.

Biggest thing was not getting more secondary chances on the rebounds. There was some good one and one chances, but not a lot of secondary ones. Those were the ones where the finish or puck luck wasn't there.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I listened to the post game this morning. Berube, and I’m paraphrasing. Too much perimeter play, too cute, not direct enough, need to take pucks to the net, look for rebounds…. Welcome to the Leafs Berube, that’s who you have to work with.

This is a refreshing take from the coach. To get that worked on off the get go is quite important from this club.

Reactions: 1specter

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Where have I heard this before

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Habs goal was a big fortunate as well .. Slaf's pass was a rolling puck that went right over Stolie and OEL's sticks flush onto Caufield's
We got caught on the wrong side of the puck and it was a few guys. It squeaked through but that says more about how out of position we were.

I thought the PK was noticeably bad and the PP was similar. 5on5 looked decent, but were having a lot of trouble getting/allowing teams to move cross ice on special teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad