Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
The sooner Reilly gets off the PP the better. There is no fear of him or Marner shooting the puck.

Otherwise, it’s game 1, nothing to worry about

Are they shopping Timmins, because I can’t think of any other reason for him to play ahead of Myers……..
Other than the dumb penalty, I thought he played pretty well. If he has any semblance of physicality, his transition game will help

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We had plenty of close in chances, I suspect those heat map visuals would support that? We hit six post too, it’s just one of those games. The PP was where we need to be more direct, apart from that I liked our game.
Six? Seeing double? How much did you drink last night?

Agree with the rest of this though. It's game 1 of 82 games, I won't worry about much until the playoffs start.

GLG!!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He shouldn't even be playing over Liljegren at this point.
Lilly and Timmins are the exact same, defensively challenged. Everyone likes their first pass out of the D zone, but they’re both bad defensively. At least Timmins is paid like a fringe NHL D man, Lilly…..not so much……..

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why are people surprised or upset?
This is what the core does. Playing for a new coach, new Captain, new goalie, I saw this coming. They did their usual extra hard scramble at the end to tie it but fell short.
Not sure how many run it backs you need to see to know how this core operates.

But it’s not all bad, you know what will happen. Make the playoffs, pad the stats, sell the jerseys and see you in the first round.

If Berube thinks he’s in charge he will soon find out he’s not.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I actually thought the 4th line was fairly effective too.

I will admit that I may be wrong about Lorentz being a dime a dozen player, I really liked what I saw.

I want a 4th line of Lorentz - Kampf - McMann... I think that line could be a nightmare on the forecheck and good defensively.
You can add a bit of a scoring touch there with McMann on it too, it's the obvious choice IMO

Hopefully Berube goes to it tonight

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You can add a bit of a scoring touch there with McMann on it too, it's the obvious choice IMO

Hopefully Berube goes to it tonight

Reaves just looked too slow to be effective in that position.

Lorentz was great and Kampf was good.

0 hits for Reaves.

Lorentz - Kampf - McMann can also be trusted defensively, I think they could get some tough assignments and be fine.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Our games against non-playoff teams should be automatics, not the games we are more likely to lose.

I've seen good teams lose to bad teams, it's happens but to be as predictable as this team is against bad teams, I can't figure out why. Maybe its our-bug-aboo. Maybe bad teams think that the Leafs, while considered one of the elites, are really not that elite and maybe that motivates them to play us harder? I dunno TBH.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Didn’t Tessa give birth? Lamest excuse I’ve read in this thread so far………
Dont know how atlets do things , but most Dads nowday help with the kid during some nights (if they are of any use, wich they might not be). Sleep might be affected.
Read in a study that as little as 30min less sleep or in the wrong time of the day makes a difference in reaction etc. Up to 13% less if it is a our or more.
So a NHL player wiith any sleeping problem got a lot agains them.

If he gave birth he would not be back this season... :D

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Lack of "killer instinct", to use the buzz word from a few years ago.

Is that it? Lack of a killer instinct? When you say killer killer instinct, is that being able to be bigger than the moment? Maybe the players know they suck against bad team and choke? I did see at times, panic in their game, like they were down 3-0 in a series and trying to stay alive panic...

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Reaves just looked too slow to be effective in that position.

Lorentz was great and Kampf was good.

0 hits for Reaves.

Lorentz - Kampf - McMann can also be trusted defensively, I think they could get some tough assignments and be fine.
If the plan is to have a 3rd line be more offensive with guys like NRob and Patches, a trusted defensive 4th line would be great

That way you trust the Matthews line and Kampf line to take the defensive zone faceoffs, and can give L2/L3 easier usage whenever possible

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I've seen good teams lose to bad teams, it's happens but to be as predictable as this team is against bad teams, I can't figure out why. Maybe its our-bug-aboo. Maybe bad teams think that the Leafs, while considered one of the elites, are really not that elite and maybe that motivates them to play us harder? I dunno TBH.
The Leafs, like many Teams, have lost to bad Teams and looked awful/disinterested in the process.
This wasn't the case last night.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
He shouldn't even be playing over Liljegren at this point.

One Meh! for another Meh! Timmins drives play and is a bigger dman ,on a Tree and Berube team, that is the tie breaker.

The Leafs, like many Teams, have lost to bad Teams and looked awful/disinterested in the process.
This wasn't the case last night.

Is looking interested and loosing to a bad team a step forward over looking disinterested and losing to a bad team? :P Leafs' game last night remined me of those circle fly's, flying around you at rapid speed, annoying but in the end they really dont do anything but look busy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One Meh! for another Meh! Timmins drives play and is a bigger dman ,on a Tree and Berube team, that is the tie breaker.

Is looking interested and loosing to a bad team a step forward over looking disinterested and losing to a bad team? :P Leafs' game last night remined me of those circle fly's, flying around you at rapid speed, annoying but in the end they really dont do anything but look busy.
They won't run into goaltending every night like they did last night.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, this is a winning brand of hockey. Haven't felt this good after a loss in a while. Sometimes as fans we get fixated on the end result, and understandably so, but if you play that way 82 games straight you will win more than you will lose. Plain and simple.

No need to go back to the drawing board. More of the same

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Honestly, this is a winning brand of hockey. Haven't felt this good after a loss in a while. Sometimes as fans we get fixated on the end result, and understandably so, but if you play that way 82 games straight you will win more than you will lose. Plain and simple.

No need to go back to the drawing board. More of the same
This.

Reactions: Sypher04

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Lol. 220 something+ games without being shutout, and in the new coach's first game, we are shutout. :facepalm:

Picked it up in the second half and took over play, so can't be too upset early in the season, but a sloppy game overall and a disappointing loss.

Reactions: myleafs

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Positives from last night. Goaltending. Matthews line lots of shots.

What i didn't like. I want the core four spread over three lines. If this means Willy Styles is the 2C and Pajama boy 3C so be it. Lilly not making the starting lineup? I think Lilly is better than Timmins and still has more room to improve. Reunite Benoit and McCabe.

What i will be patient about. The change in coaching styles. Wasn't a fan of Keefe. The changeover will take some time. Hopefully the team finds it's way. We have talent, just need everyone on the same page. Could take 20 games or so. That's fine. GO LEAFS GO!!!

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
Why are people surprised or upset?
This is what the core does. Playing for a new coach, new Captain, new goalie, I saw this coming. They did their usual extra hard scramble at the end to tie it but fell short.
Not sure how many run it backs you need to see to know how this core operates.

But it’s not all bad, you know what will happen. Make the playoffs, pad the stats, sell the jerseys and see you in the first round.

If Berube thinks he’s in charge he will soon find out he’s not.
well said. the inmates run the asylum

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Dont know how atlets do things , but most Dads nowday help with the kid during some nights (if they are of any use, wich they might not be). Sleep might be affected.
Read in a study that as little as 30min less sleep or in the wrong time of the day makes a difference in reaction etc. Up to 13% less if it is a our or more.
So a NHL player wiith any sleeping problem got a lot agains them.

If he gave birth he would not be back this season... :D

Don't have kids during your playing career, don't know what to tell you :sarcasm: Guys like Sundin and Crosby did it right :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad