Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
All I saw was a soft Marner, out of position, turning the puck over. Also felt if you took him out of the lineup, there would have been no difference. Probably an exaggeration. He was decent on the PK, didn't like his game in the offensive zone, to cute, as always.
He was good defensively, but if Matty isn't scoring Mitch's offensive game is negligible.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Berube liked the effort...but thought the team floated around the perimeter too much (didnt want to say too cute...but did). Not enough players going to the net and wanting rebounds.

Lol... poor Leaf stars really had it too good with Keefe. Sorry boys, funs over! Berube is gonna make you go to the net eventually, no matter how many shots you get on net.

It looks like Marner, Tavares, and Matthews all got to the tough spots and got chances, but Nylander didn't.

Maybe Berube will end up being hard on Nylander.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
that line? are you joking?? our top line was even worst you choose the second line to single out your names noted i will taking nothing you say serious starting...........NOW
No, I think he's mostly right. Other than "Nylander was soft" (he seems to have a real hate on for Willy) it's pretty accurate - JT and Domi were useless and Willy was basically having to play by himself.

The top line wasn't particularly good, but at least it was a line.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
The overreactions are crazy
tonight. Holy smokes.

I was at a concert tonight. Glad i didn't watch this one.

Its just frustrations than overreaction
Most of us waited a long time again to watch hockey
A lot of our players were total no shows. Nylander, Domi, Tavares, Robertson

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander sucked this game.

I still think Nylander on the 3rd line is ideal, still, give him 20 minutes a night, but have him drive a line by himself.

He is probably the best at generating chances on his own.

Give Tavares two players who are hard-working and will forecheck hard, and let them be the line that works for their goals.
He was playing with a serious handicap last night.

I agree, except that if Willy's line is playing 20 minutes and JT's line shouldn't be getting more than 13 or 14, why would you call the Nylander line the third?

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So much of this teams offensive prowess seems to be a product of sheer force of talent. Nylander and Tavares have been linemates for years and have put up big numbers beside each other but I wouldn’t say they have any real chemistry. Hell I’d say the chemistry between Matthews and Marner is also overstated but those two are attached at the hip when they’re both healthy regardless of coach or GM. The powerplay has had years where it was top five in the NHL only to whither in the playoffs. Even when the numbers are good the Leafs with the man-advantage are hard to watch. The five-man unit of Rielly, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews just always leaves you wanting more. It feels like they should be more lethal out there when up a man and yet they just aren’t.

It’d be nice if this team would really shake things up by breaking up these stale combos and positions since they won’t remove the players themselves. Unfortunately it looks like it’ll be the same old same old.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If losing rocks your world, champ, who am I to judge you? Take all the solace you need in Leafs "outplaying" the winners.

Pick up a purple participation ribbon on your way out. I'm in it to win the division and win the Cup.
Did you expect them to go 82-0? Sometimes you will just lose games you shouldn't have. They play every game like they did tonight they likely win 50+.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
you ever heard of the matty effect your playing with the best center on your team and the best left winger on your team against an ahl team are you being serious?
The funny part is that he is comparing a line with Matthews and Knies to one with Tavares and Domi, and pretending that the only difference is Mitch and Willy.

That's like saying the bumper on a Lamborghini is better than the bumper on a Yugo, because it goes faster.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Pretty sure they will trade him, and soon.

Funny, I feel Timmins moves the puck better and more importantly is better in the defensive zone along the boards under pressure. I'm tired of our team getting hemmed in our zone because Timmy got dominated down low.

I expect Timmy and Kampf to be traded soonish.
If Timmins was actually better why wasn't he ever played over him in 2 years leading into this season? 3 preseason games should not supersede a much larger sample size. There is not one defenseman on this team that is perfect. Rielly has good offensive instincts but a weak shot and is one of our worst defensive players, McCabe is probably our most well rounded defenseman but can be undisciplined, Tanev is amazing defensively but has injury problems, Benoit can't move the puck, Timmins is trash defensively and injured all the time, etc. Liljegren does a lot of good things to soften the blow of his weak board play and net front presence and basically every stat over the last 3 years proves it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
This franchise will never understand that Tavares-Nylander doesn't work.

It's been 6 years and it's never worked.

But now it will?

What a joke.
It didn't really work several years ago (they seemed to produce in spite of each other), but with JT getting worse and worse while Willy gets better and better it's pretty much past being a joke.

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
So much of this teams offensive prowess seems to be a product of sheer force of talent. Nylander and Tavares have been linemates for years and have put up big numbers beside each other but I wouldn’t say they have any real chemistry. Hell I’d say the chemistry between Matthews and Marner is also overstated but those two are attached at the hip when they’re both healthy regardless of coach or GM. The powerplay has had years where it was top five in the NHL only to whither in the playoffs. Even when the numbers are good the Leafs with the man-advantage are hard to watch. The five-man unit of Rielly, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews just always leaves you wanting more. It feels like they should be more lethal out there when up a man and yet they just aren’t.

It’d be nice if this team would really shake things up by breaking up these stale combos and positions since they won’t remove the players themselves. Unfortunately it looks like it’ll be the same old same old.

I agree. When will the tongue bath the media have given Berube stop and base it on actual facts? The thing with this team is Auston and Mitch run the show. They want to play together bc it helps their stats. They want all the PP time and screw a 2nd unit. Berube hadn’t shown that he is willing to stand up to giving them carte blanche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad