Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 1-0

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I hope Berube can show some of the guys who make 10+mil that they can stand in front of the net, because its why we struggle to score so often.

Matthews when he decides to try is one of the best at it. I'm fairly certain Marner and Nylander are afraid of the neither, especially Marner. They must avoid it to avoid getting hit. Actual pusscakes.

JT need to head to the net every play, hes not good enough anymore to be making fancier plays.
Nylander has scored more goals driving the net than any Leaf..

Regardless, the Leafs were in front of the net tonight. I don't forsee this as a problem this year

Reactions: arso40

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
I honestly thought it was a great game to watch. I was on the edge of my seat most of the game. Don't care about the stats, wish we had a win, but at the same time, I feel the team tried and tried hard. I can't really be mad.

This is entertainment, and I was entertained. I can't control wins and losses, I can just like or hate what I see, and I liked it the majority of the time.

EDIT: oh and for those of you that say you did not see anything different than last year, I did, SHOTS, 47 of them in regulation time... how many times did that happen last year? We were almost always outshot especially in 1st periods. This time even Marner had 6 shots.

Last edited:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Mo is maybe my favourite player and I couldn’t believe how big and slow he looked tonight. Nothing like himself
Probably doesn't help that it seems like as he gets older he comes into camp weighing more. Guy is 225 pounds this year and you'd think someone who is our best skating d man would slim down a bit.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
and the joke is we dont even have 4 better than him im standing on that
i might be drinking but im not stupid im not convinced OEL is better than lily he has his strengths as does everyone but i dont think hes better than lily my personal opinion the 3 who are, are obvious i dont need to name them though at times ill question why riellys spots so secure cause he hasnt shown much this preseason either

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Let's be fair ... if they scored some goals most would be happy.

Others don't need results as stats are more important.

Really need to add some expected trophies.

Expected Rocket, expected Art Ross, expected Vezina, expected Stanley Cup.

Make everyone happy.

At work, expected raises, expected promotions, expected C Suite ...

Exactly, such a stupid thing to talk about... don't discuss the play of the game.

The score was 1-0, those are the facts, who cares about the other 59:59 of the game, that one second is all that can be discussed, close the thread now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Exactly, such a stupid thing to talk about... don't discuss the play of the game.

The score was 1-0, those are the facts, who cares about the other 59:59 of the game, that one second is all that can be discussed, close the thread now.
Oh, I agree if you don't win finding something that makes one happy is good.

At the end of the season there is only 1 winner, kind of the objective in professional sports.

Certainly most talk is about what might have been if only results were different.

Results are always more important, as winning is better than not winning.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Really sucked to lose this one, but we did play well.

Notes:
Stolarz was great.
Holmberg will be huge for us. If we aren't using Kampf on PK, does he get moved?
Loved Lorenz. His speed and physicality fit well on the 4th line.
I was shocked how good OEL looked. Dangerous with the puck, setting up and getting chances all night.
Was equally disturbed at how bad Rielly looked, especially juxtaposed with OEL. I think we should swap them on PP.
Can we please stop the pass to 91 on the left wall on the PP entry? Hasn't worked in 3 years. Why isn't 88 carrying it in?
Tanev and McCabe were also terrific.

Lets put Lily in for Timmins and McMann for Reaves.

Also, I hate our second line, I don't think that it works at all. Maybe swap Patches and 88?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Did Matthews look like a 13.25 million player tonight? No. Too often he escapes critics because he can score 60 in his sleep. Nylander also was a no show tonight. Marner was very good and of the 3 of them, he was the only 1 to compete hard.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did Matthews look like a 13.25 million player tonight? No. Too often he escapes critics because he can score 60 in his sleep. Nylander also was a no show tonight. Marner was very good and of the 3 of them, he was the only 1 to compete hard.
There isn't a ton of regular criticism for 60 goal scorers

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Berube probably told them to play every game as if it was the playoffs, and they took it to heart.
he did say we are going to treat every game like it's game 7 if I am not misremembering

they looked just like that, minus the softies our goalie always give up

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

1 goal in last 9 games. After he hit 69 he stopped scoring

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
the team looked quite good tonight - couldnt score. but they looked good.

dont make this a habit.

FIRST TIME BEING SHUTOUT SINCE 2021.

pretty insane stat doesnt get nearly enough f***ing praise or discussion

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Berube liked the effort...but thought the team floated around the perimeter too much (didnt want to say too cute...but did). Not enough players going to the net and wanting rebounds.

Lol... poor Leaf stars really had it too good with Keefe. Sorry boys, funs over!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad