Proposal: Leafs/ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
To the ducks: JVR , 2017 1st (conditioned leafs didn't win lottery becomes 2018 1st if they do)

To the leafs : Lindholm , 2017 1st (conditioned on receiving leafs pick.swap 18 if not) +salary dump (likely stoner as bieksa would waive for Toronto)

Reasoning.. Ducks need cap space and a top line LW. JVR is cheap and with his size and style will be a perfect fit there for them. Plus dumping stoner gives them cap space for rackall or whatever they need it for. Plus a significant upgrade in 1st round pick 5-16th instead of 25-30

Toronto needs high end D potential and Lindholm has top pairing potential. Losing JVR creates a hole but they aren't competing for the next couple years so losing him isn't really changing anything.

I think this can address both teams needs though stuff likely needed to be added as I don't think either team will like it but could something be worked out or is Lindholm too valuable to Anaheim to consider moving him? I know their D depth is insanely good

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Oh Boy, Absolutely zero chance Ducks go for this. Apologies. To get Lindholm we'd be adding to Rielly, something significant as well; Additionally Lindholm doesnt just have top line potential, he is a top pair dman currently....JVR's value would be much closer to a guy like Theodore imo, even then something is likely being added.

Last edited:

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
To the ducks: JVR , 2017 1st (conditioned leafs didn't win lottery becomes 2018 1st if they do)

To the leafs : Lindholm , 2017 1st (conditioned on receiving leafs pick.swap 18 if not) +salary dump (likely stoner as bieksa would waive for Toronto)

Reasoning.. Ducks need cap space and a top line LW. JVR is cheap and with his size and style will be a perfect fit there for them. Plus dumping stoner gives them cap space for rackall or whatever they need it for. Plus a significant upgrade in 1st round pick 5-16th instead of 25-30

Toronto needs high end D potential and Lindholm has top pairing potential. Losing JVR creates a hole but they aren't competing for the next couple years so losing him isn't really changing anything.

I think this can address both teams needs though stuff likely needed to be added as I don't think either team will like it but could something be worked out or is Lindholm too valuable to Anaheim to consider moving him? I know their D depth is insanely good

Sure.

You also want a massage and a happy ending with that?

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
Oh Boy, Absolutely zero chance Ducks go for this. Apologies. To get Lindholm we'd be adding to Rielly, something significant as well; Additionally Lindholm doesnt just have top line potential, he is a top pair dman currently....JVR's value would be much closer to a guy like Theodore imo, even then something is likely being added.

I think you might be undervaluing JVR a bit here as his skill set compared to cap it for the next two years is extremely valuable to a team with an internal budget... That and a top 10 pick is pretty valuable. That being said I didn't realize Lindholm is already as good as your saying so hopefully didn't offend any duck fans as it wasn't my intentions at all to undervalue him.

Have the ducks signed him? Can they even with their budget?

Adding a player like Rielly obviously makes no sense for either team as Toronto needs more D and ducks needs cap space. Would retaining some of JVR salary get it closer? Or just not moving Lindholm period?

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
read jvr. stopped.
read lindholm. chuckled.

Shoulda kept reading.. Woulda noticed the top 10 draft pick and the 3+mill salary dump. Again I didn't realize he was so valuable as only seen him in small doses and career high 28 points. Though I'd assume a top line LW a top 10 pick and the salary dump has more value then you give it credit. Especially to internal cap teams that are in win now mode. I could be mistaken though

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think you might be undervaluing JVR a bit here as his skill set compared to cap it for the next two years is extremely valuable to a team with an internal budget... That and a top 10 pick is pretty valuable. That being said I didn't realize Lindholm is already as good as your saying so hopefully didn't offend any duck fans as it wasn't my intentions at all to undervalue him.

Have the ducks signed him? Can they even with their budget?

Adding a player like Rielly obviously makes no sense for either team as Toronto needs more D and ducks needs cap space. Would retaining some of JVR salary get it closer? Or just not moving Lindholm period?

Not moving Lindholm, period. If we ever were, a winger with two years left on his deal is no proper starting point whatsoever. Lock it up

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
Not moving Lindholm, period. If we ever were, a winger with two years left on his deal is no proper starting point whatsoever. Lock it up

Fair enough... Out of curiosity what type of package would you consider acceptable ? Not from Toronto but anytime that you'd consider fair value that's fits in the ducks budget ? Just trying to get an idea of what his value is perceived to be is all

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The best thing the Ducks could do here is trade Hampus while his value is high.

JVR (top line winger for next 2 seasons at 4.25M, maybe longer) + Kapanen (Potential top line winger, full ELC) + The highest of their 2nd's next year (31-35 Pick)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Why does everyone assume that a team that needs cap space is going to move their best player for it?
So in a few years when the Leafs need to re-sign their guys they should move Marner or Matthews because:
a. they could use the Cap room
b. another team could probably use a no. 1 C or W?

You say Lindholm has no. 1 D potential and you want them to take JVR in return?
Don't you think if Anaheim had cap concerns they would move someone else long before Lindholm? Fowler comes to mind.

Something around JVR/Fowler might be the basis for a workable deal.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Fair enough... Out of curiosity what type of package would you consider acceptable ? Not from Toronto but anytime that you'd consider fair value that's fits in the ducks budget ? Just trying to get an idea of what his value is perceived to be is all

I wouldn't consider any type of "package" acceptable. There is no reason to move a young Dman like this for a group of lesser pieces. You have one asset in your organization who is worth discussing Lindholm for, and Matthews isn't being traded any time soon.

JVR (top line winger for next 2 seasons at 4.25M, maybe longer) + Kapanen (Potential top line winger, full ELC) + The highest of their 2nd's next year (31-35 Pick)

We both know you know better than this lmao

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
Why does everyone assume that a team that needs cap space is going to move their best player for it?
So in a few years when the Leafs need to re-sign their guys they should move Marner or Matthews because:
a. they could use the Cap room
b. another team could probably use a no. 1 C or W?

You say Lindholm has no. 1 D potential and you want them to take JVR in return?
Don't you think if Anaheim had cap concerns they would move someone else long before Lindholm? Fowler comes to mind.

Something around JVR/Fowler might be the basis for a workable deal.

Again didn't realize his stock was so high or that he was already your best player. Yes knew he had potential but didn't know he's already elite. Is fowler not more a 2nd pairing D? Didn't mean to offend anyone at all. Just thought it addressed both teams needs but I didn't realize he was like Norris material.

And to answer your question.. Yes I would trade Marner or whoever if I had the depth in that position like Anaheim does on defence... Again this is not knowing he's already an elite D. JVR isn't garbage nor is the top 10 pick and salary dump . Just didn't know it was that far off of Lindholms value. I look forward to seeing this kid progress then

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I wouldn't consider any type of "package" acceptable. There is no reason to move a young Dman like this for a group of lesser pieces. You have one asset in your organization who is worth discussing Lindholm for, and Matthews isn't being traded any time soon.

We both know you know better than this lmao

I'd say that trade is close in value to the Hall/Larsson swap.

That's the most the Leafs could realistically afford to trade for a dman, outside of minor additions. I'm sure they're pushing it for names like Lindholm, Trouba and Tanev as we speak.

Nonis has Murray's ear. :sarcasm:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Larsson got Hall.
Larsson << Lindholm.
Hall >> JVR.

Basically Lindholm is worth a lot.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Start with 1 of your 3 bluechippers and add from there......

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'd say that trade is close in value to the Hall/Larsson swap.

That's the most the Leafs could realistically afford to trade for a dman, outside of minor additions. I'm sure they're pushing it for names like Lindholm, Trouba and Tanev as we speak.

Nonis has Murray's ear. :sarcasm:

I'd take Hall over that package quite easily, and wouldn't move Lindholm for Hall either.

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
I'd take Hall over that package quite easily, and wouldn't move Lindholm for Hall either.

So you'd take hall over JVR a top 10 pick and 5 million in cap savings on a team that opperates 9 million below cap? Taking Lindholm out of it that's just crazy to think that would make sense in terms of helping the ducks regardless who the package is for

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Start with 1 of your 3 bluechippers and add from there......

Those 3 are among the top-5 prospects in the league. Not even a remote chance they're moved.

Lindholm is up for a new contract heading into mid-August and will command good money when it's known they have a lot of money invested on the back end and that they may look to move one for a forward.

It may be better to exchange him for a winger fix. Getting JVR and Kapanen with a bonus pick. Could round out the top lines for a number years, while maintaining a solid, young dcore.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Those 3 are among the top-5 prospects in the league. Not even a remote chance they're moved.

Lindholm is up for a new contract heading into mid-August and will command good money when it's known they have a lot of money invested on the back end and that they may look to move one for a forward.

It may be better to exchange him for a winger fix. Getting JVR and Kapanen with a bonus pick. Could round out the top lines for a number years, while maintaining a solid, young dcore.

So the best young defensman in NHL has lesser value then 3 unproven players??

You know what Seth Jones cost? A proven number 1 center. What did Larsson cost? a top-5 winger in NHL, and Lindholm just dwrafs those 2. Sorry, but Kapanen and JVR are not even close. You start with Nylander or Marner and add, or Matthews straight upor even with an add. A number 1 D-man cost......

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I'd consider for 1 of matthews/nylander/marner + reilly

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So the best young defensman in NHL has lesser value then 3 unproven players??

You know what Seth Jones cost? A proven number 1 center. What did Larsson cost? a top-5 winger in NHL, and Lindholm just dwrafs those 2. Sorry, but Kapanen and JVR are not even close. You start with Nylander or Marner and add, or Matthews straight upor even with an add. A number 1 D-man cost......

Players ranked as highly as those 3 are in terms of prospects are expected to be great and fairly quickly. It would be unwise to move them this early. Those 3 still have lots of ELC time, while Lindholm is ready to demand a fairly large commitment.

I'd say Lindholm is in that same value tier with Jones and Larsson. JVR is certainly worth less than Hall/Johansen. But, he's also a big, first line winger on a cheap contract with plenty of time to make a decision on his long term future. There are also a couple good assets attached. Kapanen could be just as important as JVR long-term.

Rainman2408

Jun 29, 2010
Muskoka
I'd consider for 1 of matthews/nylander/marner + reilly

Not trying to start an argument or anything but one of those three + Rielly? How is he considered valued so much more then Rielly even when Rielly's stats are better on the worst team in the league? I'm not overly familiar with Lindholm but I'm not totally ignorant either. I've seen enough of him to know he's not without faults (as expected for a young D) he has potential yes but he's no top 10 d in the league yet. I think you might overvalue him a bit. I don't know is he's any better now or in the future then Rielly but the difference is definitely not Marner or Nylander. Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad