Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Wonder if the bring him in still but on a different contract? 1 year deal or something.
Interesting. What would this tell us?

The Leafs are still interested in seeing him. He is not upset at the Leafs for any contract falling through. He wants to be a Leaf because he could sign a PTO with literally every team in the league.

We don't know if it is true, but he does go to Leafs camp it sort of supports my theory that there is something more to this. Maybe they want to see him skate and play and recover before they sign a contract they have agreed tom Maybe they plan to LTIR him and this is more easily done on the first day of the season and not before? Maybe they want Robertson taken care of with the little space left under the cap because that serves as a constraint in negotiations? Maybe they wanted cap space available without LTIR to protect against a Robertson offer sheet?

I still believe there might be more to this and we don't know the details. It could be very smart which would be ironic for those that seemed to want to use this as an example of our management being idiots.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Wonder if the bring him in still but on a different contract? 1 year deal or something.
They should just let this one go. Clearly, the Leaf Doctors found the same thing the others did, or this would have gone through, right?

The issue would then be that it would be the 2nd summer, in which this manager signed a player with knee problems.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They should just let this one go. Clearly, the Leaf Doctors found the same thing the others did, or this would have gone through, right?

The issue would then be that it would be the 2nd summer, in which this manager signed a player with knee problems.
Thank God Simmons made the Leafs aware of this, BTW, Klingberg had a hip problem………

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Just sign him to a 1yr/775AAV contract then.

Now that the injury news is out there, Hankanpaa got no leverage

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Thank God Simmons made the Leafs aware of this, BTW, Klingberg had a hip problem………
Simmons made Leaf fans aware of something, he did not make the Leafs aware of it. Simmons was basically reporting on why the rumoured deal was never announced, formalized or registered.

People who suggest Simmons brought this to the Leafs' attention almost sound like conspiracy theorists. As in, how would this have had to work exactly? The Leafs leak this signing that is not registered or executed. Simmons hears about it and calls people he knows and then he writes a piece on it, the Leafs see this piece and pull the offer from Hakanpaa? In all the time that this is happening Hakanpaa doesn't just sign the contract to complete the transaction, even though he knows he has knee issues and no one else would sign him?

The timeline makes no sense.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Simmons made Leaf fans aware of something, he did not make the Leafs aware of it. Simmons was basically reporting on why the rumoured deal was never announced, formalized or registered.

People who suggest Simmons brought this to the Leafs' attention almost sound like conspiracy theorists. As in, how would this have had to work exactly? The Leafs leak this signing that is not registered or executed. Simmons hears about it and calls people he knows and then he writes a piece on it, the Leafs see this piece and pull the offer from Hakanpaa? In all the time that this is happening Hakanpaa doesn't just sign the contract to complete the transaction, even though he knows he has knee issues and no one else would sign him?

We will find out. It's almost like the Leafs just called Dibbs.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Simmons should be on their medical staff, scary when a reporterdoes more vetting than the Leafs……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Simmons should be on their medical staff, scary when a reporterdoes more vetting than the Leafs……..

I was going to reply with substance, then I realize your comment was sin response to my more substantive post and you seem to have ignored that.

Then I remembered that you are a grumpy old man that likes to complain about things, yes you are.

If you actually want to have a discussion please actually read the post of mine you just replied to and tell me how Simmons saved the Leafs when no contract was actually ever signed...obviously

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I was going to reply with substance, then I realize your comment was sin response to my more substantive post and you seem to have ignored that.

Then I remembered that you are a grumpy old man that likes to complain about things, yes you are.

If you actually want to have a discussion please actually read the post of mine you just replied to and tell me how Simmons saved the Leafs when no contract was actually ever signed...obviously
I can condense my opinion into a couple of sentences, your opinions are like reading War and Peace, so many words, so little content…….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I can condense my opinion into a couple of sentences, your opinions are like reading War and Peace, so many words, so little content…….
Interesting. How about you don't read the back jacket and give us a review then. You replied to my post with a comment that I had already addressed in that very post.

Sorry if you can't read 300 words. Feel free to skip right over my posts and certainly don't respond and get cranky when I fire back.

Next time you see a post from me, skip over it, go outside and tell at the kids to get off your lawn.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Interesting. How about you don't read the back jacket and give us a review then. You replied to my post with a comment that I had already addressed in that very post.

Sorry if you can't read 300 words. Feel free to skip right over my posts and certainly don't respond and get cranky when I fire back.

Next time you see a post from me, skip over it, go outside and tell at the kids to get off your lawn.
No one’s “cranky” except you, in the past you’ve said you don’t appreciate the sarcastic remarks yet your fine with your passive aggressive digs. I guess you’re okay throwing it, but catching it not so much……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
No one’s “cranky” except you, in the past you’ve said you don’t appreciate the sarcastic remarks yet your fine with your passive aggressive digs. I guess you’re okay throwing it, but catching it not so much……..

You have a short memory. My cranky comment was in response to a post of yours that was meant to insult me. There was nothing passive aggressive in calling you cranky. It was clear and to the point. I think you are cranky.

What do you want me to do?

You don't want to read my posts but you reply to them anyway with "opinions" that were addressed in the post you responded to but didn't read.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You have a short memory. My cranky comment was in response to a post of yours that was meant to insult me. There was nothing passive aggressive in calling you cranky. It was clear and to the point. I think you are cranky.

What do you want me to do?

You don't want to read my posts but you reply to them anyway with "opinions" that were addressed in the post you responded to but didn't read.
You don’t have to do a thing, your comments about my supposed crankiness don’t bother me in the least, I was simple pointing out your hypocrisy, do as I say, not as I do is on you not me……..

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You don’t have to do a thing, your comments about my supposed crankiness don’t bother me in the least, I was simple pointing out your hypocrisy, do as I say, not as I do is on you not me……..

You were incorrectly pointing out my hypocrisy. Anyway, we are hear to discuss the Leafs and people don't want to see us fight.

How about this? Could you refrain from commenting on my posts unless you have read them? That seems fair to me.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You were incorrectly pointing out my hypocrisy. Anyway, we are hear to discuss the Leafs and people don't want to see us fight.

How about this? Could you refrain from commenting on my posts unless you have read them? That seems fair to me.
You said I didn’t read your posts, which is another lie, I said they were long winded. Big difference………

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You said I didn’t read your posts, which is another lie, I said they were long winded. Big difference………
Sorry, I did get that wrong. You didn't say you didn't read it. You obviously just didn't understand it since the opinion you shared with me was already addressed in the post. I had already explained how IMO Simmons did not do more vetting than the Leafs management did. I explained how that the opinion that he did is not even possible in this situation, timing-wise.

Do you want to get this back on hockey talk? Tell me (us) how Simmons saved the Leafs from a contract that was never signed or registered with a guy who appears to be coming to our camp anyway?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The way the news reporting went in real time, I’d characterize Simmons reporting as ratting out the Leafs and spotlighting an unhealthy signing than doing them a favour and giving them the heads up.

Reactions: Menzinger

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The way the news reporting went in real time, I’d characterize Simmons reporting as ratting out the Leafs and spotlighting an unhealthy signing than doing them a favour and giving them the heads up.
I’m not denying his motives for airing the knee concerns weren’t self serving, that’s pretty much a reporter’s job, but I still think his looking into it exposed that the knee was a issue. This wouldn’t be the first time the Leafs acquired a player with a significant injury, I’m thinking Folino comes to mind……

Anyone who thinks Simmons knew more than the team, my word lol.
People gate Simmons, but he has a plethora of sources snd has been a reporter for decades, bullshit might get you the hob, but it won’t keep you there……

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Simmons is one notch above assistant funeral director Berger. You'd think they all would have learned from Howie what happens when they run afoul of Leaf Nation.

Reactions: conFABulator

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Anyone who thinks Simmons knew more than the team, my word lol.

It would be nice to know actual steps in the offer and acceptance of a NHL contract.

Be nice if a contract lawyer would provide an opinion. Anyone?

My best guess:
In a normal contract for services my guess is the provider of the service would have to be able to fulfill the contract for it to be binding.

That is you make the offer based on the other party honestly agreeing he/she is capable of fulfilling the contract. If the other party lies about their ability to fulfill the obligation it would likely be unenforceable legally. Likely constitute a fraud, "I'm a licensed plumber. Sure I can hook up your toilet to the main fuse box."

If Treliving made an offer, based on Hakanpaa being cleared to play by medical staff (which would seem like a standard scenario).

Hakanpaa didn't sign the offer because? He hasn't been cleared by medical staff?
Hakanpaa agreed to the terms, pending normal processes, like passing a medical?

Regardless, it sounds like he's going to Leafs' camp.

I'm going to lose sleep over this ... sorry what was I saying, I dozed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad