Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
It’s not sll on Marner, it’s more about pathetic cap management, that being said lising Marner will be a step in the right direction, of course it’s more likely Tre will once again display his stupidity by resigning Marner to a bloated and unearned contract ala Nylander ensuring years more of team incompetence……

It’s not all on him but a player of his talent should win you one series in eight years.

The Willy deal is a lot but not at a 100 mil cap, PPG players will soon be eight figure guys, his deal is better than what Guentzel, Konecny and Pettersson took, Bo Horvat gets 8.5.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It’s not all on him but a player of his talent should win you one series in eight years.

The Willy deal is a lot but not at a 100 mil cap, PPG players will soon be eight figure guys, his deal is better than what Guentzel, Konecny and Pettersson took, Bo Horvat gets 8.5.
I think both 16 snd 88 are both overpaid and will never live up to their contracts…….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Word salad for run it back, nothing changes without change, and I’m talking about a change to the real problem which is the core. Coaches and supporting cast members have been changed eith little to no effect, eight years is more than enough time to address the real problem. If JT and Marner aren’t moved before next season all hope is lost, this season is a right off imo……

What would make you happy then? Seriously? I suspect there is not answer because was makes you happy is being unhappy about the Maple Leafs.

How about you stake a claim and not just be slipper about what you don't like. What do you like?

Which NHL team is a model we should be more like?

Do you think Berube was a good hire?

Who is your favourite Maple Leaf?

How would you have changed the core if you were Tre?

I know what you don't like, because that is all you post about. What do you like hockey-wise? Other than being a hater?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What would make you happy then? Seriously? I suspect there is not answer because was makes you happy is being unhappy about the Maple Leafs.

How about you stake a claim and not just be slipper about what you don't like. What do you like?

Which NHL team is a model we should be more like?

Do you think Berube was a good hire?

Who is your favourite Maple Leaf?

How would you have changed the core if you were Tre?

I know what you don't like, because that is all you post about. What do you like hockey-wise? Other than being a hater?
Better cap distribution.

Florida is a team I admire both for their cap distribution and their compete.

Berube will be a better coach than Keefe, but you can’t motivate millionaire divas.

Benoit, does so much with so little, I respect his compete level.

I would not resign Marner or JT, Nylander’s deal will be a anchor for years to come.

I understand your happy with mediocre, but I’m not, and I probably have far more years invested in this team than you, so lose the arrogance, it’s my team, I just hate seeing it implode because of ineptitude……..

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Word salad for run it back, nothing changes without change, and I’m talking about a change to the real problem which is the core. Coaches and supporting cast members have been changed eith little to no effect, eight years is more than enough time to address the real problem. If JT and Marner aren’t moved before next season all hope is lost, this season is a right off imo……

"run it back" is just a term for them not making the changes you want

They have run it back 0 times.

Better cap distribution.

Berube will be a better coach than Keefe, but you can’t motivate millionaire divas.

I would not resign Marner or JT, Nylander’s deal will be a anchor for years to come.

I understand your happy with mediocre, but I’m not, and I probably have far more years invested in this team than you, so lose the arrogance, it’s my team, I just hate seeing it implode because of ineptitude……..

Benoit did so little with so little in the playoffs... he tried hard, but he didn't help us win, and I like Benoit too, I think he is a good bottom pairing D with some upside.

Why do you think Benoit did so well?

Seems like a weird player to pick out of the bunch, but guess it is because he tries, really, really hard.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Better cap distribution.

I was going to reply point by point, but it boils down to you not liking the core four. Divas and contracts we will regret. Got it.

What you do like is a big, stay at home #6/#7 defenseman. You also think we should be more like the current Stanley Cup Champions. Cool.

Would you have been a hater when the Panthers were going through exactly what the Leafs are now a few years ago? They had a very long rebuild, good regular seasons, and went 25 years without winning a playoff round. Would you have blown them up?

I am 52, tell me how many more years of this you have on me?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I was going to reply point by point, but it boils down to you not liking the core four. Divas and contracts we will regret. Got it.

What you do like is a big, stay at home #6/#7 defenseman. You also think we should be more like the current Stanley Cup Champions. Cool.

Would you have been a hater when the Panthers were going through exactly what the Leafs are now a few years ago? They had a very long rebuild, good regular seasons, and went 25 years without winning a playoff round. Would you have blown them up?

I am 52, tell me how many more years of this you have on me?
The Leafs have been a failure decades before the Florida Panther existed so your perspective is a little askew imo. I gave a decade on you as a long suffering Leaf fan, perhaps when your 62 you might better relate to my opinion, until then keep drinking the Kool Ade you obviously care little about winning which is absolutely your right……..

Benoit did so little with so little in the playoffs... he tried hard, but he didn't help us win, and I like Benoit too, I think he is a good bottom pairing D with some upside.

Seems like a weird player to pick out of the bunch, but guess it is because he tries, really, really hard.
Hsrd to be impactful when your benched to appease Lilly, Benoit is a fringe player, but I respect the way he plays and his shortcomings aren’t for lack of effort, the same can’t be said for ghe core……..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't know the procedures behind medicals, but I can't imagine it takes long to figure out for a contract offered on July 1st. The criticism comes from them not knowing about the injury or at least pivoting to other potential options when they found out. The earmarked money potentially not being used at the busiest time of the year is a criticism.

Tre made comments regarding him being signed at his free agency presser and didn't mention anything regarding a contract hold up due to injury. So were they surprised? Did they not know it was 'this' bad? Simmons was talking about it on Twitter on July 2nd so he was able to find out pretty quickly. Tre spoke highly of Hakanpaa's PK abilities/size, talking as if he was sliding into the lineup.

Now I think the simple answer is the Leafs really liked Hakanpaa enough that they were willing to wait around for his medical situation to swing positive.. hoping he could play. The Leafs may have been fine operating under the assumption the 1.5m was gone with the potential for it to actually never be used if he couldn't clear medically to sign. I just don't know people agree with that thought process.

I doubt they were unaware, they likely just wanted to go by their own internal assessment. I also dont really see what the Leafs would achieve by bringing all that stuff up in public interviews until things were finalized

Sure one can say they could have spent the money elsewhere, but overall it's such a small amount and may yet still be used up via acquiring guys in trades, going into the season with a bit of spare space isn't the worst situation to be in

I'm hardly Tres biggest fan around here, but this is.a non-issue

Last edited:
Reactions: conFABulator

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
The Leafs have been a failure decades before the Florida Panther existed so your perspective is a little askew imo. I gave a decade on you as a long suffering Leaf fan, perhaps when your 62 you might better relate to my opinion, until then keep drinking the Kool Ade you obviously care little about winning which is absolutely your right……..

Ok, so you are every angry that they haven't won a cup in 57 years. We get that. How about you save us the rest where you pretend to be discussing actual things they are doing.

I went back 25 years on the Panthers for you and your answer was the Leafs futility runs longer. Really? I am not even sure what your point is.

You don't like the core four, you are bitter and your favourite player is a 6th or 7th defenseman. You may only be ten years older than me, but you seem like you are just a grumpy old man.

I am not here to insult you, that is an honest observation. You seem to take joy in knocking down fellow fans that are not as bitter as you. That's not a good trait or a positive contribution to the discussion around here.

Apart from the currently SC champions are there any other teams doing it right? Doing a better job than the Leafs?

Reactions: Bejeezus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ok, so you are every angry that they haven't won a cup in 57 years. We get that. How about you save us the rest where you pretend to be discussing actual things they are doing.

I went back 25 years on the Panthers for you and your answer was the Leafs futility runs longer. Really? I am not even sure what your point is.

You don't like the core four, you are bitter and your favourite player is a 6th or 7th defenseman. You may only be ten years older than me, but you seem like you are just a grumpy old man.

I am not here to insult you, that is an honest observation. You seem to take joy in knocking down fellow fans that are not as bitter as you. That's not a good trait or a positive contribution to the discussion around here.

Apart from the currently SC champions are there any other teams doing it right? Doing a better job than the Leafs?
How many Stanley Cup finals have the Panthers made since they came into the league? Facts aren’t your friend, at this point every response just makes my point. BTW, I’m not bitter, just know how to call a spade a spade, my head isn’t stuck in the sand ignoring the obvious……

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Hsrd to be impactful when your benched to appease Lilly, Benoit is a fringe player, but I respect the way he plays and his shortcomings aren’t for lack of effort, the same can’t be said for ghe core……..

So you don't care if a player underperforms as long as you think they tried their hardest?

Weird way to view players, this isn't house league.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
How many Stanley Cup finals have the Panthers made since they came into the league? Facts aren’t your friend, at this point every response just makes my point. BTW, I’m not bitter, just know how to call a spade a spade, my head isn’t stuck in the sand ignoring the obvious……

Ok, this lost any possibility of enjoyment some time ago and I am not here to fight.

You come across to me as bitter, maybe you are not actually that but you seem intent on blaming people that have been here for 9 years or 14 months or less on a 57 year drought. This makes no sense to me.

Just because I am not bitter, it does not mean I am happy with mediocrity. Just because I am not negative it does not mean my head is in the sand.

It's sports. You enjoy the season, get disappointed when they don't win and then you have hope and optimism the following year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Since Shanny has been here we have had the most enjoyable regular seasons, a long streak of playoff appearances, and we are still in a window in good cap shape, decent prospects, and teams in our division appear to have started the decline . Are you sure I don't have facts on my side...those are facts.

Anyway, I consider being told that my head is in the sand or that I am happy with mediocrity to be insults. Most people would.

I can handle constructive criticism or thoughtful debate. This is not either of those things. Correct me if I am wrong, but your actual points boil down too.

1. Very upset that they haven't won in 57 years and you will let the anger filter your views of people that have been here a handful of years.

2. You really don't like the actual core four and consider them to be Divas.

3. You like Simon Benoit much more than the core four / Divas

4. You can't really point to any teams that are doing it better than the Leafs other than the current SC champions and when I point out parallels and similarities you don't want to hear them and go back to 57 years.

There. I listened. I kept my part of this calm and respectful, but there is not enjoyment in these talking points for me because they are really just vehicles for you to complain about the things you don't like.

Reactions: Bejeezus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Ok, this lost any possibility of enjoyment some time ago and I am not here to fight.

You come across to me as bitter, maybe you are not actually that but you seem intent on blaming people that have been here for 9 years or 14 months or less on a 57 year drought. This makes no sense to me.

Just because I am not bitter, it does not mean I am happy with mediocrity. Just because I am not negative it does not mean my head is in the sand.

It's sports. You enjoy the season, get disappointed when they don't win and then you have hope and optimism the following year. Wash, rinse, repeat. Since Shanny has been here we have had the most enjoyable regular seasons, a long streak of playoff appearances, and we are still in a window in good cap shape, decent prospects, and teams in our division appear to have started the decline . Are you sure I don't have facts on my side...those are facts.

Anyway, I consider being told that my head is in the sand or that I am happy with mediocrity to be insults. Most people would.

I can handle constructive criticism or thoughtful debate. This is not either of those things. Correct me if I am wrong, but your actual points boil down too.

1. Very upset that they haven't won in 57 years and you will let the anger filter your views of people that have been here a handful of years.

2. You really don't like the actual core four and consider them to be Divas.

3. You like Simon Benoit much more than the core four / Divas

4. You can't really point to any teams that are doing it better than the Leafs other than the current SC champions and when I point out parallels and similarities you don't want to hear them and go back to 57 years.

There. I listened. I kept my part of this calm and respectful, but there is not enjoyment in these talking points for me because they are really just vehicles for you to complain about the things you don't like.
1: no, anger isn’t oart if it, futility yes.

2: yes, I don’t like the core, they’re wasting their careers not putting in what’s needed, besides the money they will regret squandering the opportunity.

3: yes, I like players that give their all, that isn’t the core 4.

4: Florida, Dallas, Colorado, Boston.

Keep accepting mediocre and that’s what MLSE will be happy to deliver………

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

Benoit fits into the "old school stay at home guy" stereotype. That's why most fans like him. His effectiveness is a different story.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
1: no, anger isn’t oart if it, futility yes.

2: yes, I don’t like the core, they’re wasting their careers not putting in what’s needed, besides the money they will regret squandering the opportunity.

3: yes, I like players that give their all, that isn’t the core 4.

4: Florida, Dallas, Colorado, Boston.

Keep accepting mediocre and that’s what MLSE will be happy to deliver………

I really do understand all of this. You don't believe people and players and teams can change? Look at Yzerman, you are old enough to remember Captain choke? He somehow became Captain Clutch. Stamkos went a lot of years before winning a cup. They were a disappointment until they weren't also. Dallas? Boston? Isn't Boston a cautionary tale for higher level mediocrity. This core never won and their window is closing.

If Dubas and Keefe were still here I wouldn't question your position so much. We have a new GM and a new Coach and they are both quite different from the men they replaced. Berube seems to be exactly what this team needs.

As for the core four. They have under delivered. I believe we should let Marner walk unless he leads us through three rounds of the playoffs, I have been quite vocal about the on here. I also think Nylander should be moved to 2C and Tavares should only be re-signed at a deeply discounted salary that makes sense for a 3C/2LW. There you go, much different cap distribution, instead of four F making $45M, you have 3 C making $28M.

To me, it looks like this is what Tre is doing. He got here last year and suggested Willy at C and Keefe didn't give it a real chance. He has not resigned JT or MM, though he did take the C away from JT.

I don't know what makes AM34 a diva. He scores goals, he defends, he hits, he blocks shots, and he is a respectful and professional captain. He won a Hart Trophy.

We brought in Tanev, OEL and Benoit, we still have McCabe and we have created space for youth to come in -- Cowan and Minten look like exactly what we need.. We have wingers in Domi, Knies, McMann that play a different game than we have seen in the past from our supporting cast. We have deep goaltending and lots of G prospects.

I can tell you all of this and it feels like the response will be...it won't work, it's the Leafs...57 years.

Reactions: coupe93

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I really do understand all of this. You don't believe people and players and teams can change? Look at Yzerman, you are old enough to remember Captain choke? He somehow became Captain Clutch. Stamkos went a lot of years before winning a cup. They were a disappointment until they weren't also. Dallas? Boston? Isn't Boston a cautionary tale for higher level mediocrity. This core never won and their window is closing.

If Dubas and Keefe were still here I wouldn't question your position so much. We have a new GM and a new Coach and they are both quite different from the men they replaced. Berube seems to be exactly what this team needs.

As for the core four. They have under delivered. I believe we should let Marner walk unless he leads us through three rounds of the playoffs, I have been quite vocal about the on here. I also think Nylander should be moved to 2C and Tavares should only be re-signed at a deeply discounted salary that makes sense for a 3C/2LW. There you go, much different cap distribution, instead of four F making $45M, you have 3 C making $28M.

To me, it looks like this is what Tre is doing. He got here last year and suggested Willy at C and Keefe didn't give it a real chance. He has not resigned JT or MM, though he did take the C away from JT.

I don't know what makes AM34 a diva. He scores goals, he defends, he hits, he blocks shots, and he is a respectful and professional captain. He won a Hart Trophy.

We brought in Tanev, OEL and Benoit, we still have McCabe and we have created space for youth to come in -- Cowan and Minten look like exactly what we need.. We have wingers in Domi, Knies, McMann that play a different game than we have seen in the past from our supporting cast. We have deep goaltending and lots of G prospects.

I can tell you all of this and it feels like the response will be...it won't work, it's the Leafs...57 years.
See you in April. I’ll bring the crow for uou to eat…….

Reactions: Mckay

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Up until 2023, Florida was an absolute joke of a franchise. They fluked a finals appearance in 96 and then barely saw the playoffs for the next 25 years. You are a loser in professional sports until you are not.
There's a cold uniqueness to the current Leafs that needs to be appreciated. If after 50 years something finally great happens, to where it almost cant be screwed up, and then it is more or less purposely destroyed, you're going to find fans with a chip on their shoulder.

Leafs fans have contributed significantly more than Panther fans have over this timeline.

I've moved on and am stoked about the new group, see if we can still salvage a win in this era, more pain more glory, all that. But it would be a bit embarrassing if there was nobody throwing waffles at this point.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
It’s not sll on Marner, it’s more about pathetic cap management, that being said lising Marner will be a step in the right direction, of course it’s more likely Tre will once again display his stupidity by resigning Marner to a bloated and unearned contract ala Nylander ensuring years more of team incompetence……
Jeepers I'm having such a hard time keeping up! A little earlier in the summer Trees was a genius getting Autonomy Matthews to sign for the low low price of $13.4M per for the short short term of 4 years while locking up Will for 8 years by almost doubling his salary and yet he'll be a stupid head bumbling bum bum if he signs the 2nd highest Leafs point producer over the last 8 years. I confoooz!;)

:laugh:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

875k per season is why and very OK as is 13.4m per

anything in the 10.6 - 12m range isn't I'm guessing?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Up until 2023, Florida was an absolute joke of a franchise. They fluked a finals appearance in 96 and then barely saw the playoffs for the next 25 years. You are a loser in professional sports until you are not.
They did not fluke anything in 1996. They won with a lot of hard work, defensive play, and great goaltending. A lot teams get to the finals that way.

Edit- don't get me wrong. I agree that they've been a fragile/marginal team/marginal fan interest since then.

Reactions: MilkofthePoppy

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I was hopeful for Haakenpaa because I was looking forward to saying the DPOS wouldn’t have given him that many games if he wasn’t a Leaf.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I doubt they were unaware, they likely just wanted to go by their own internal assessment. I also dont really see what the Leafs would achieve by bringing all that stuff up in public interviews until things were finalized
But then you have to question why they talked about the signing at all before things were finalized, if they knew those significant questions still existed.

Reactions: Gallagbi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad