Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Does anything else matter? Or are you a President’s trophy kind of guy……….
No, nothing else matters. Which is why like 26 or so teams have no more success than us and most have much, much less.

I am not a President's Trophy guy, I am also not a guy who ignores how long it takes teams to build a winner.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No, nothing else matters. Which is why like 26 or so teams have no more success than us and most have much, much less.

I am not a President's Trophy guy, I am also not a guy who ignores how long it takes teams to build a winner.
Almost sixty years, or am I being impatient?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Almost sixty years, or am I being impatient?
Shanny isn't even 60 years old, so I don't think it's fair to put all that on him.

I am 52 and know what having an actually crappy Leafs team feels like. This is a good era, not a bad one and it can still become a great one.

I am happy we have changed GMs, coaches, captain, and much of the roster over the past 18 months, but I am not. In support of blowing it up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanny isn't even 60 years old, so I don't think it's fair to put all that on him.

I am 52 and know what having an actually crappy Leafs team feels like. This is a good era, not a bad one and it can still become a great one.

I am happy we have changed GMs, coaches, captain, and much of the roster over the past 18 months, but I am not. In support of blowing it up.
Will this hold true after another April failure?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yes, it will.

I guess it depends on definition of bloe it up. I believe we should walk on Marner if we don't get a different result this year.
It’s not sll on Marner, it’s more about pathetic cap management, that being said lising Marner will be a step in the right direction, of course it’s more likely Tre will once again display his stupidity by resigning Marner to a bloated and unearned contract ala Nylander ensuring years more of team incompetence……

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
It’s not sll on Marner, it’s more about pathetic cap management, that being said lising Marner will be a step in the right direction, of course it’s more likely Tre will once again display his stupidity by resigning Marner to a bloated and unearned contract ala Nylander ensuring years more of team incompetence……
You would have let Nylander walk?

Incompetence? Also one of the best teams in the NHL over the past five or six years

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think Simmons dug deeper into this injury than thd Leafs did, they probably put the brakes on when they read his article, or at the very least took a longer look at the mistake they were about to make…….

Yeah, the Leafs base their decisions on what that useless hack Steve Simmons writes. Sweet Jebus this place is ridiculous.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
… guess it depends on definition of bloe it up. I believe we should walk on Marner if we don't get a different result this year.

We have to walk in Marner regardless.

The data is all there.

(1) it’s a stupid idea to pay 2 wingers over 10 AAV.

(2) see 1.

Reactions: rumman

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

The data is all there.

(2) see 1.

I think that’s overly simplistic. If both are very high end point producers and play drivers, like both Marner and Nylander are, then I think there is an argument for it.

I also think Nylander may move to C

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

The data is all there.

(2) see 1.

First of all, we probably shouldn't speak in absolute numbers (like $10M) when the cap is going up again and by large amounts soon. It's probably more of a percentage of cap thing.

Secondly, I don't disagree and this is one of the reasons I want one of our wingers move to 2C. Nylander.

This roster makes a whole lot more sense when we are paying three centres $28M (34, 88 and 91 (discounted resign)) than it does overpaying wingers.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
While it would have been nice to see this work out, there are still a number of players available (as there always are) who haven't been able to find deals who could still be a fit. I mean, this guy isn't the 2nd coming of Borje or Lidstrom or something. I don't think this non-signing is going to impact this team at all, except for the fact that it might leave room for a Marlie looking to make their mark to step up at camp.

It was a $1.5mm Cap Hit offer.

Doesn't sound like a "HOLY COW they really screwed the team here!!!"

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You would have let Nylander walk?

Incompetence? Also one of the best teams in the NHL over the past five or six years
Not come playoff time, your happy with regular season success and jersey sales, my goal is a little higher…..

Yeah, the Leafs base their decisions on what that useless hack Steve Simmons writes. Sweet Jebus this place is ridiculous.
Hate him all you like, he did some quality reporting on this…….

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They didn’t actually sign him but said they did on FA day, assuming he was going to sign. It’s a rather weird scenario.

I read he was day-to-day during the playoffs and they expected him to be available.

1725040046411.png

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Not come playoff time, your happy with regular season success and jersey sales, my goal is a little higher…..

We all have the same goal, some of us just believe that having a plan and staying the course is a better way to achieve our goals than being impatient and reactive. I have seen that movie over the years of being a Leafs fan. They never won cups either, they were rarely ever contenders or even good.

Yes, I am happy (not satisfied) with regular season success, it's better than being happy crapping on the home team all the time. If I was an unhappy with this team as many of you are I would probably stop supporting them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
We all have the same goal, some of us just believe that having a plan and staying the course is a better way to achieve our goals than being impatient and reactive. I have seen that movie over the years of being a Leafs fan. They never won cups either, they were rarely ever contenders or even good.

Yes, I am happy (not satisfied) with regular season success, it's better than being happy crapping on the home team all the time. If I was an unhappy with this team as many of you are I would probably stop supporting them.
or at the very least stop weeping the same sentiments daily, like your providing some new insightful information

Reactions: bax

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
or at the very least stop weeping the same sentiments daily, like your providing some new insightful information

Thanks.

It's hard to communicate and connect their people that are just negative and jaded.

Everyone of us here knows that we have won in 57 years, but we come here to talk about THIS year.

I absolutely welcome opposing and differing opinions. For example, if someone felt like we should have signed Broissoit over Stolarz then that is a discussion to be had.

If someone responds to thoughtful analysis and incite with "it's the Leafs, they never win" they need to understand they are not adding anything to the topic, the discussion, or the boards in general.

Just because I am not negative about the team, doesn't mean I am satisfied. I definitely prefer to enjoy being a fan of the team I support rather than being angry and disappointed all the time.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Nope.

Did people have expectations he'd be anything more than a bottom pairing defender anyway?

Additionally, he wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing until the playoffs.

He'd be working out and skating, practicing, just like other players have done ... just not cleared to play.
They heard 6'7" and made him a "tall-star"

Reactions: ULF_55

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Does anything else matter? Or are you a President’s trophy kind of guy……….
No one else has got them to a cup final in over 50 years. Is a slightly better result a bigger achievement?

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005

The data is all there.

(2) see 1.
How does it make ANY sense to compound the already dumb decision to sign Nylander to a contract that is GOING to be an albatross if he looks like he has for most of his career (as opposed to the start of last year) by turning around and saying "We can only keep one $10 million winger, so the more productive player who plays in many many more situations has to go for nothing."?

Reactions: ACC1224

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
How does it make ANY sense to compound the already dumb decision to sign Nylander to a contract that is GOING to be an albatross if he looks like he has for most of his career (as opposed to the start of last year) by turning around and saying "We can only keep one $10 million winger, so the more productive player who plays in many many more situations has to go for nothing."?
Nylander hasn’t even peaked yet… not time to panic. Not even close.

Marner isn’t productive in the playoffs. He should be traded to a rebuilding team in a small media market that needs offense…say a Columbus.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Confirmed with link: The leafs don't sign Hakapaa fearing Steve Simmons' investigative reporting will take the organization down.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Word salad for run it back, nothing changes without change, and I’m talking about a change to the real problem which is the core. Coaches and supporting cast members have been changed eith little to no effect, eight years is more than enough time to address the real problem. If JT and Marner aren’t moved before next season all hope is lost, this season is a right off imo……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad