Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Teminds me of ghe fax machine blunder that costs them the opportunity to sign a player, I can’t for the life of me remember which player, but just another example of the ineptitude of Leaf brass…….
I think there was a fax machine failure that prevented trading Hoglund to Montreal at the deadline.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's the bad part. How is it you signed a player, or tried to, without doing the proper diligence? It doesn't give you much confidence in other signings... or players they are trying to sign, such as Pacioretty. It's just not competent management.

Well they got burned by Klingberg last year

Actually relieved they signed Stolarz after seeing Brossoit is already down for 5-7 weeks.

Reactions: Buds17

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think Simmons dug deeper into this injury than thd Leafs did, they probably put the brakes on when they read his article, or at the very least took a longer look at the mistake they were about to make…….

I asked what you think happened and you answered. Thank you.

I still don't think this lines up timing-wise though. It was "reported" that the Leafs signed Hakanpaa on at around 4pm on July 1. The two year, $1.5M terms were reported also. It seemed legit and official.

After a few hours we were all wondering why it hadn't been announced by the Leafs or the league like every other deal was. Late in the day, around 8pm on July 1, Simmons reported in his column and amplified it on Twitter that Hakanpaa had knee issues and some thought he might never play again.

You think the Leafs saw this report and changed course? They would have already reviewed medical records long before this and more importantly the deal would have already been registered and announced in that window, like every other deal.

What you are suggesting is that Leafs and/or Hakanpaa leaked an agreement in principle that was not yet registered. They never do this and Hakanpaa would have clearly not been motivated to say anything until it was formalized.

What seems more likely was that discussions took place, terms were discussed and then something caused the Leafs to not register the deal. Perhaps the medical records? There is never a four hour gap between a signed deal and an announcement. This deal was obviously never signed so Simmons (like others) reported incorrectly that it was. It was not reversed it was already not registered before Simmons reported the injury and there is no reason to believe he knew more than the Leafs did.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I asked what you think happened and you answered. Thank you.

I still don't think this lines up timing-wise though. It was "reported" that the Leafs signed Hakanpaa on at around 4pm on July 1. The two year, $1.5M terms were reported also. It seemed legit and official.

After a few hours we were all wondering why it hadn't been announced by the Leafs or the league like every other deal was. Late in the day, around 8pm on July 1, Simmons reported in his column and amplified it on Twitter that Hakanpaa had knee issues and some thought he might never play again.

You think the Leafs saw this report and changed course? They would have already reviewed medical records long before this and more importantly the deal would have already been registered and announced in that window, like every other deal.

What you are suggesting is that Leafs and/or Hakanpaa leaked an agreement in principle that was not yet registered. They never do this and Hakanpaa would have clearly not been motivated to say anything until it was formalized.

What seems more likely was that discussions took place, terms were discussed and then something caused the Leafs to not register the deal. Perhaps the medical records? There is never a four hour gap between a signed deal and an announcement. This deal was obviously never signed so Simmons (like others) reported incorrectly that it was. It was not reversed it was already not registered before Simmons reported the injury and there is no reason to believe he knew more than the Leafs did.
One would hope, but we are talking about the Leafs here…….

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I haven’t noticed a difference to be honest, meet the new boss, same as the old boss…….
I actually don't know what more Tre could have done to be different since he got here. New coach, new captain, new D, new G, no extensions for Marner or Tavares, kids looking like they will get a chance.

He inherited NMC and was told last off-season that none of the core four were being moved.

Pelley
Treliving (first full off-season)
Berube

...what more do you want?

Reactions: Da Cool Rula
Sep 18, 2009
I actually don't know what more Tre could have done to be different since he got here. New coach, new captain, new D, new G, no extensions for Marner or Tavares, kids looking like they will get a chance.

He inherited NMC and was told last off-season that none of the core four were being moved.

Pelley
Berube

I want shangan and teviling gone

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Pelley
Berube

He’s a puppet, Shanahan says jump, and Tre says how high?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He’s a puppet, Shanahan says jump, and Tre says how high?
...except Shanny has a new boss in this equation too. Shanny in the last year of his deal.

Also, the Shanny era might be statistically one of the most successful eras in Leaf history...except for playoffs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
...except Shanny has a new boss in this equation too. Shanny in the last year of his deal.

Also, the Shanny era might be statistically one of the most successful eras in Leaf history...except for playoffs
Does anything else matter? Or are you a President’s trophy kind of guy……….

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The Leafs not registering the contract until the guy has passed medical review is undertaking their due-diligence....

From the looks of things, he hasn't been able to pass, hence no contract. Not really sure what the criticism of the team's actions is here.....
You can find criticism in anything if you try hard enough.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I think Simmons dug deeper into this injury than thd Leafs did, they probably put the brakes on when they read his article, or at the very least took a longer look at the mistake they were about to make…….

Teminds me of ghe fax machine blunder that costs them the opportunity to sign a player, I can’t for the life of me remember which player, but just another example of the ineptitude of Leaf brass…….
Kyle Wenvig it was a trade for Jonas Hoglund thankfully the machine jammed.

I think there was a fax machine failure that prevented trading Hoglund to Montreal at the deadline.
To Boston
Edit found a link https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/leafs-deal-to-ship-hoglund-to-bruins-nixed-1.284478

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I garauntee Simmons didn’t write anything the Leafs didn’t know.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
That's the bad part. How is it you signed a player, or tried to, without doing the proper diligence? It doesn't give you much confidence in other signings... or players they are trying to sign, such as Pacioretty. It's just not competent management.
Just a guess, but kinda sounded like Hak was working with other teams because he and Dallas disagreed about his medical situation. Leafs talked to him and thought maybe Dallas could be wrong - some similarity to the Sabres/Eichel situation.

Now, perhaps Leafs feel Dallas had it right, so deal is a no go.

Strong mgmt these days is putting the work in on unique situations to try and gain small advantages in a cap world.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The Leafs not registering the contract until the guy has passed medical review is undertaking their due-diligence....

From the looks of things, he hasn't been able to pass, hence no contract. Not really sure what the criticism of the team's actions is here.....

I don't know the procedures behind medicals, but I can't imagine it takes long to figure out for a contract offered on July 1st. The criticism comes from them not knowing about the injury or at least pivoting to other potential options when they found out. The earmarked money potentially not being used at the busiest time of the year is a criticism.

Tre made comments regarding him being signed at his free agency presser and didn't mention anything regarding a contract hold up due to injury. So were they surprised? Did they not know it was 'this' bad? Simmons was talking about it on Twitter on July 2nd so he was able to find out pretty quickly. Tre spoke highly of Hakanpaa's PK abilities/size, talking as if he was sliding into the lineup.

Now I think the simple answer is the Leafs really liked Hakanpaa enough that they were willing to wait around for his medical situation to swing positive.. hoping he could play. The Leafs may have been fine operating under the assumption the 1.5m was gone with the potential for it to actually never be used if he couldn't clear medically to sign. I just don't know people agree with that thought process.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
I don't know the procedures behind medicals, but I can't imagine it takes long to figure out for a contract offered on July 1st. The criticism comes from them not knowing about the injury or at least pivoting to other potential options when they found out. The earmarked money potentially not being used at the busiest time of the year is a criticism.

Tre made comments regarding him being signed at his free agency presser and didn't mention anything regarding a contract hold up due to injury. So were they surprised? Did they not know it was 'this' bad? Simmons was talking about it on Twitter on July 2nd so he was able to find out pretty quickly. Tre spoke highly of Hakanpaa's PK abilities/size, talking as if he was sliding into the lineup.

Now I think the simple answer is the Leafs really liked Hakanpaa enough that they were willing to wait around for his medical situation to swing positive.. hoping he could play. The Leafs may have been fine operating under the assumption the 1.5m was gone with the potential for it to actually never be used if he couldn't clear medically to sign. I just don't know people agree with that thought process.
While it would have been nice to see this work out, there are still a number of players available (as there always are) who haven't been able to find deals who could still be a fit. I mean, this guy isn't the 2nd coming of Borje or Lidstrom or something. I don't think this non-signing is going to impact this team at all, except for the fact that it might leave room for a Marlie looking to make their mark to step up at camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad