Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Dude played 18 minutes a night for the Stars last season before getting hurt lol

He also somehow managed to lead the team in hits even though he didnt play the 2nd half of the season

Berube gonna love this guy
My guess is that Berube and Brad are on the same page, hence the hiring.

Trying to massage the forward group is going to be more difficult. This is why Leaf fans are so angry that Marners cap in particular is still on the books. You remove that an add 2-3 playoff type Gamers with less flash and more N/S game and the team is totally different.

If not for the core cap structure, Leafs probably keep Bert at a slightly lower AAV than he signed for but that's just an assumption.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Low term and cap at least. We've been linked to him for years. Not bad.
Got too many defensemen now though, so not sure what's up.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Brad loves his big D lol.
TSN's Darren Dreger announced late Monday afternoon that the Leafs have come to terms with Hakanpaa, a hard-hitting 6-foot-6-inch Finnish defenseman, who played for the Dallas Stars in each of the last 3 seasons.

TSN's Chris Johnston added to Dreger's original report, confirming that the deal is for 2 years and will carry a $1.5M cap hit.

Hakanpaa skated in 64 games for the Stars last season, compiling 12 points and 33 penalty minutes to go along with 123 blocked shots and 196 hits.

Reactions: Lilou

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Wondering if we move Lil now?

Nice add, Tre has reshaped our D core, and it looks the best we've had during this era. Limited space too. Get's a pass from me.

Reactions: Cleetus and arso40

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I like the player/signing, but with his recent injury, age and suspect play last season, not sure why we didn’t spend 500k more on Desharnais who just went to another Canadian market.

We’re old as hell with these adds. OEL, Tanev, Hakanpaa. Lack of foot speed on the backend has been a problem for a while now.

Anyways, one of the positive signings of the day. Good PK depth, saves us from spending at the TDL.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I can actually give an unbiased report on this guy since I recently saw him live for a few nights.

Granted, he was with the Kirkkonummi Town Players in their rendition of "The Addams Family." He played Lurch.

His stage presence was adequate, but he did know all of his line. Overall, two thumbs up and glad we signed him

• Haha
Reactions: keonsbitterness

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
I like the player/signing, but with his recent injury, age and suspect play last season, not sure why we didn’t spend 500k more on Desharnais who just went to another Canadian market.

We’re old as hell with these adds. OEL, Tanev, Hakanpaa. Lack of foot speed on the backend has been a problem for a while now.

Anyways, one of the positive signings of the day. Good PK depth, saves us from spending at the TDL.
He's far better than Desharnais. He can actually move the puck. Desharnais is the definition of a pylon

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tanev is going to miss games, Rielly has been missing games last few seasons, Liljegren is unproven. Good chance we will need 9 dmen again this year so having 7 dmen is a good thing
I'd be more than fine with that (retaining the depth). May even run an 11-7 at times too. It's certainly nice to kick off a season with this kind of depth on the blueline.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
If he's actually healthy and that's probably a big if, him and Benoit and going to wingspan the rink

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Really curious to see what other moves Tre has up his sleeve regarding the blueline.

I like this signing.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
My guess is that Berube and Brad are on the same page, hence the hiring.

Trying to massage the forward group is going to be more difficult. This is why Leaf fans are so angry that Marners cap in particular is still on the books. You remove that an add 2-3 playoff type Gamers with less flash and more N/S game and the team is totally different.

If not for the core cap structure, Leafs probably keep Bert at a slightly lower AAV than he signed for but that's just an assumption.
Do you really trust Brad Treliving to A: Make a smart trade involving Marner that doesn't involve crippling assets coming back and B: Use that added cap space wisely? I sure as hell don't. I'd rather the Leafs hang on to Marner so Treliving can't acquire some James Neal/Milan Lucic types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad