Confirmed with Link: Leafs don't sign D Jani Hakanpaa to a 2 years, $1.5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Like this signing. Brings a LOT of size & physicality which this team could certainly use.
And in the worst case, @1.5 an easy problem to fix if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: DirkStraun

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not saying I wanted to sign Lub at the cap hit over him, just that Lub is an upgrade, even if it isn't huge.

That's all.

I think he is a #7 ideally because he is a limited player.

Lyubushkin as the same limitations, but somehow he's a "5" and Hakanpaa is only a "7" like it means anything despite what the numbers say. Alright man.

It's ok to probably give credit to Treliving for this kind of signing.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I like it.

Pretty full D group now though. Wonder how the forwards shake out. Play the kids?

I assume we'll see Timmins on waivers at some point soon.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Well at the very least it saves a 2nd round pick at the deadline from being used on a bottom pairing expiring dman.
They have to stop trading picks especially when Wes Clark seems to be doing well. They have guys within the organization that they can promote to gain experience as well.

Also Giordano should be signed to fill in during the regular season with bottom pairing minutes. He sticks up for his teammates without hesitation and has some more juice left

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Lyubushkin as the same limitations, but somehow he's a "5" and Hakanpaa is only a "7" like it means anything despite what the numbers say. Alright man.

It's ok to probably give credit to Treliving for this kind of signing.

Lub is less limited than Hakanpaa.

The Domi signing was good and the Stolarz signing was good, he has done some other good signings too.

I've given him credit for some things.

This likely means Benoit is on the bench so that signing was pointless, it is an expensive #7 for us.

Are there any stats to show Hakanpaa is good?

From viewings before, he was fine, but I'd be curious to see any evidence he was good.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Great signing. I thought he played very well for Dallas. At least stat-wise (I always picked him up in fantasy for he has the most hits and blocks combined among NHL defenders.) He was playing as Lindell's partner on the top four for most of the year (before they got Tanev). i'd much rather have him (a RHD too) at 1.5 than Zadorov at 5

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lub is less limited than Hakanpaa.

The Domi signing was good and the Stolarz signing was good, he has done some other good signings too.

I've given him credit for some things.

This likely means Benoit is on the bench so that signing was pointless, it is an expensive #7 for us.

Are there any stats to show Hakanpaa is good?

From viewings before, he was fine, but I'd be curious to see any evidence he was good.

Are there any stats that show Lyubushkin is good and worth over 3M?

As a comparison. Hakanpaa is a much better PKer (not even close), a better goal scorer (not saying much) and he also see's better quality opponents but bot have similar 5 on 5 defense efficiency. Lyubushkin is a better passer and a faster skater (my own scout eyes).

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
This should lead to the movement of Lilly. Lilly still has good upside so definitely teams in need of D Men would entertain him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Are there any stats that show Lyubushkin is good?

As a comparison:

So literally just PK... where he was the worst on his team (QoC may affect this because he is PK1)

I hope he improves our PK.

Hakanpaa is fine, I don't see much to get excited about, but it isn't a bad signing, just Benoit will be an expensive #7, and Timmins an expensive #8 if they keep him up.

Assuming he will pair with OEL because he needs someone who can move the puck for him.

I enjoyed the Rielly/Lub pairing in the playoffs and he is better with the puck and defending at 5v5, that's why I think he is better.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
one of them will be a #7, unless you think they signed someone to a $3 million AAV to be a #7.

I’ve said since the moment Liljegren signed I’m only giving it a 50/50 chance he’s actually on this team next year.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’ve said since the moment Liljegren signed I’m only giving it a 50/50 chance he’s actually on this team next year.

Would suck to have a 3rd pairing that can't get the puck out of their own end, so I hope one of OEL/Liljegren are playing there over Benoit/Hakanpaa

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Really curious how the D pairings will shake out. Rielly-Tanev is a given. Little need for McCabe to play the right side now but if he goes back to LD one of OEL or Benoit will be sitting. Liljegren isn’t getting scratched after having $3 million a year committed to him.

Rielly-Tanev
OEL-McCabe
Benoit-Liljegren

Webber and Hakanpää as extras.
That depends if Lily can play Berube style hockey. The jury is out on that one.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Dubas was in on him right until the end when he signed with Dallas previously.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
They have to stop trading picks especially when Wes Clark seems to be doing well. They have guys within the organization that they can promote to gain experience as well.

Also Giordano should be signed to fill in during the regular season with bottom pairing minutes. He sticks up for his teammates without hesitation and has some more juice left
Good idea but no cap space for it unless they move Lilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad