Rumor: Leafs considering stripping John Tavares of captaincy (per Kypreos)

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?

I’ve personally been a captain on a number of teams I’ve played on.

I will say, not being the most skilled player on the team definitely had its drawbacks. When the guys are looking at you to put the team on your back, it’s hard when you’re not that guy.

This team will go as far as Matthews takes us, flaws and all.

It’s time for Matthews to get the C, maybe less pressure on JT will allow him to settle into a new role for the leafs. This is not an attack on JT, this is putting Matthews in the spot he’s earned. JT, as a real leader, will understand this.

Reactions: Brown Dog and Hurt

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
The annoying 590 radio morning show guy, not Ennis, talked about this when the playoffs ended as a way to entice 91 to accept a trade. Funny it comes up.

I always thought 34 should have got it but after all these years what should merit have to do with it. Just peel away the excuses as fast as possible and if the 'C' is one don't wait on making a change.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I think holding onto the C decreases the Leafs chance in re-signing him. They will have the perfect reason to not sign him since they want to hand the C over to Matthews without any friction. A convenient situation. "We thank John for his time here as captain and wish him all the best. A new chapter has begun now".

If he hands it off himself, he does so while in full control. An honourable passing of the torch. It's been done before and it reflects well on the former captain to do so. Then when the year comes to an end with their annual playoff defeat in the First Round, they can talk to Johns camp about a potential contract without the C hanging over the negotiation

If he is still the C, they will be less interested as it provides them an easy way to wash their hands of the decision. If he is still C you want a clean end of the relationship between player and team so you can move on. If he has already relinquished the C, that motivation isn't there.
I think holding onto the C decreases the Leafs chance in re-signing him. They will have the perfect reason to not sign him since they want to hand the C over to Matthews without any friction. A convenient situation. "We thank John for his time here as captain and wish him all the best. A new chapter has begun now".

If he hands it off himself, he does so while in full control. An honourable passing of the torch. It's been done before and it reflects well on the former captain to do so. Then when the year comes to an end with their annual playoff defeat in the First Round, they can talk to Johns camp about a potential contract without the C hanging over the negotiation

If he is still the C, they will be less interested as it provides them an easy way to wash their hands of the decision. If he is still C you want a clean end of the relationship between player and team so you can move on. If he has already relinquished the C, that motivation isn't there.
Let's list the reasons he should be captain
1. He lives year round in Toronto...no
2. He speaks to the media and defends the team...no
3. He greets new team mates with a text, email and let's them live in his house...no
4. He defends team mates on the ice...no
5. He communicates well...no
6. He is first on the ice and last to leave every practice...no
7. His team mates love him and defend him on and off the ice...no
8. He is always enthusiastic on the bench fir his team mates...no

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire
Oct 18, 2010
Let's list the reasons he should be captain
1. He lives year round in Toronto...no
2. He speaks to the media and defends the team...no
3. He greets new team mates with a text, email and let's them live in his house...no
4. He defends team mates on the ice...no
5. He communicates well...no
6. He is first on the ice and last to leave every practice...no
7. His team mates love him and defend him on and off the ice...no
8. He is always enthusiastic on the bench fir his team mates...no

but he wants it :(

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
They should have given it to Rielly in the first place. Giving it to a guy only in his 2nd year on the team was a bit naïve.

What is naive is believing that tenure with a team is necessary for the captaincy. Hell, Messier was made captain of the Rangers by his second game with the team, was that a naive decision?

Reactions: Mckay

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
What is naive is believing that tenure with a team is necessary for the captaincy. Hell, Messier was made captain of the Rangers by his second game with the team, was that a naive decision?
Messier won Cups and had a strong reputation for leadership. I can't imagine any team back then not naming him captain.

Leafs named Rob Ramage captain in 1989 before he even played a game with the team. Didn't work out too well. Maybe the current core would have been better off without a captain.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

messier is not a good example for anything. he would have elbowed the coach and gm if they didn't give it to him

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If anyone actually believes the difference between a deep playoff run and multiple first round exits is a piece of cloth moving from one jersey to another then I'd like to discuss some land in Florida I'm interested in selling.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Has to go to Nylander.

He can talk to the press.
He can tell his teammates to grow up.
He committed the rest of his career to the team.

No one else meets that criteria.

I agree with all that, but he's a little too laid back (in a very different way from JT), for my taste, but an A would be reasonable.

Great song.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If anyone actually believes the difference between a deep playoff run and multiple first round exits is a piece of cloth moving from one jersey to another then I'd like to discuss some land in Florida I'm interested in selling.
No thanks - Florida will be under water in ten years.

Reactions: ULF_55

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Matthews has always been the best player on almost any team he has played on, the exception being the "Young Guns" Mc and Mac are clearly superior players

and yet need I remind you guys that Auston Matthews has never ever worn a "C" ever! There is a reason guys get it, Bantams and younger the coach hands out letters. After that it's a combination of being acclimated by team-mates and the coach. Yet has never worn one.

We don't know Matthews so we don't where his head is, but I will ask you one question. Think back on all the captains on any of the teams you were a part of, whether you played house league or competitive doesn't matter.

Think about how popular that guy was, what a solid player he was and how competitive he was. Especially once getting above your peewee years and character really starts to form and yet he's never worn the C.

IMCO he doesn't seem to be that guy. He's gone the minute his season's over, 2 years ago he wouldn't even attend a Leafs golf tournament attached to the Canadian open because he couldn't be bugged to come up from AZ. He couldn't even be bugged to come up to meet Berube. Sure there were other players that didn't but a leader would have. I heard that JT had Berube and his wife over to a BBQ so they could meet and greet.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leadership: the ability of an individual to inspire others to achieve a shared objective or vision.

The lack of leadership on this team has been apparent for a very long time. I don't need to be in the locker room to see it either. It's evident in the annual first round exits every year.

Unless they were actually trying to go out early each spring that is.

If winning the cup was the goal then Tavares has proven as competent as I would as Captain. They could have just hired me for a fraction of the cost. The results would have been the same.

In fact they might have been better.

The $11M a year I wouldn't be getting paid would have been spent somewhere else more productively. So far they've shovelled $77M into Tavares' bank account. All that money has bought them no more rounds than they would have achieved without him.

If stripping Tavares of his Captaincy means future UFAs won't come here to be overpaid to underachieve that's a good thing.

People always seem to take this ultra respectful approach with John Tavares. Consummate professional. Quiet leader. Leading by example. He sure has a serious and stern manner about him but by accomplishments and emotional energy and ability to provide guidance to the team? It’s really overstated.

Reactions: myleafs

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Rather surprised this doesn’t appear to be a discussion happening anywhere (unless I’ve missed it which is possible) but allegedly Kypreos said on radio on Monday that the Leafs are seriously considering taking the captaincy away from JT and naming Matthews captain.

If true, I mean, I get it. If this happens though I feel bad for Tavares. It’s not all his fault what’s transpired here under his leadership and this is an awful market to have something like this go down in as it will be talked about and analyzed to death and there will probably be some degree of undue character assassination that accompanies it.

That all said. This is clearly Auston Matthews’ team and I think he will be the captain sooner than later. Can this not wait a year though so as to not publicly embarrass Tavares?
It's a good topic, but maybe change the title. It sounds like they are ritually ripping the C off him in a pre-game ceremony. Taking his badge, taking his gun, removing his stripes, getting him to take off his Captains bars...

The stripping sounds like punishing Tavares for poor leadership and court marshaling him.

Reactions: ACC1224

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised to find out JT has already offered the C to Matthews at one point over the last few years… AM34, no thanks, you keep it… I’m under enough pressure to score 60-70 goals every season.

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh and IPS

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Tavares should pass it on because Matthews is the face of the franchise and is ready. It would also symbolize more of the culture change this team is trying to implement and turning the page on the Dubas/Keefe era. I'd also expand the alternate captains and give Nylander an 'A' since he's grown into more of a leader and right now he's got the longest contract on the team.

Matthews 'C'
Rielly 'A'
Marner 'A'
Nylander 'A'
Tavares 'A'

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

you will become very rich.

Honestly i just feel this is so so dumb.
everyone screeching that Matthews should have the C will be the same people screeching why the hell Matthews has the C if we don't do anything. (not to mention no one ever even contemplates that idea that maybe he doesn't want to be Captain). it's just "oh my heck we just gave it Tavares willynilly so unfair to Matthews." like find another song to sing.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
you will become very rich.

Honestly i just feel this is so so dumb.
everyone screeching that Matthews should have the C will be the same people screeching why the hell Matthews has the C if we don't do anything. (not to mention no one ever even contemplates that idea that maybe he doesn't want to be Captain). it's just "oh my heck we just gave it Tavares willynilly so unfair to Matthews." like find another song to sing.
Not dumb. During the Tavares era, this team has had championship aspirations but consistently underachieved to the point of becoming a punchline. I think it's fair to put some accountability on the on-ice leader, even if the captaincy is largely a symbolic thing.

As far as giving it to Matthews, I'm largely on board. While he may not scream "captain material," fact is this team will only go as far as he can take them and we're essentially pot-committed to him as the face of the franchise anyway, so why not go all in now?

Reactions: hotpaws

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad